Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 11, 2012, 01:09 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swilson50 View Post
One of the RCGroups contributors sells some home-made connectors etc. for the Horizon planes. I can't find it, and I didn't bookmark his webpage. Can someone post his webpage so I can order some more connectors for the UMX line of planes.
Swilson50
aka Stan in Dodge City
That would be rc-connectors.com
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2012, 01:36 PM
Dodge City, Kansas
Joined Oct 2003
1,048 Posts
thanks

thanks, I'll bookmark it this time.
Stan in Dodge City
Swilson50 is online now Find More Posts by Swilson50
Old May 13, 2012, 05:43 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Hi All,
I have a question. The weather finally broke so I had a chance to put some flights on the Beast. I flew pack 4 consecutive packs through her and on the fifth the motor cut off after 30 seconds or so. I thought maybe I forgot to charge a pack. I put another in and after 45 seconds or so it cut off again. Has anyone had this issue? Did I hit a thermal protection? I have 2 packs charged right now so I'm going to see if it continues when cold.

Blessings,

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old May 13, 2012, 07:10 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Got in 2 amazing flights with my v1 beast this evening. Just awesome flying. Discovered an intermittent battery harness for my 1s batteries with my Stryker in the air so unfortunately it was not so lucky. Lol. Thankfully my Beast was spared that. I love this beast. Such a great flyer.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old May 13, 2012, 09:19 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Radioflyer View Post
Hi All,
I have a question. The weather finally broke so I had a chance to put some flights on the Beast. I flew pack 4 consecutive packs through her and on the fifth the motor cut off after 30 seconds or so. I thought maybe I forgot to charge a pack. I put another in and after 45 seconds or so it cut off again. Has anyone had this issue? Did I hit a thermal protection? I have 2 packs charged right now so I'm going to see if it continues when cold.

Blessings,

Jay
Beast V1 or B3D? What kind of packs? how old are the packs? I've had Eflite 180s wear out after only about 10-15 flights. When they wear out you'll get a LVC pulse and low power output after a very short flight, when you charge you'll only put back a small mAh amount. If you use the el cheapo plastic charger it'll be hard to tell.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old May 13, 2012, 10:31 PM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Hey Brian,
6 new Hyperion 2s 240's and she cut right out on the 5th and 6th flight. I went out and flew 3 more packs without a problem but in between flights I flew my Tensor giving time to cool down the esc. It was only 70 degrees here though which is not that hot. I have the new v2 Beast so I imagine it is working hard. I plan on installing a simple drinking straw to point air directly across the esc which should cure the problem as well as not hammering pack after pack through this little bird.
To E-flite's credit, this is one amazing flying plane.

Blessings to All
Old May 13, 2012, 11:03 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Hey Brian,
6 new Hyperion 2s 240's and she cut right out on the 5th and 6th flight. I went out and flew 3 more packs without a problem but in between flights I flew my Tensor giving time to cool down the esc. It was only 70 degrees here though which is not that hot. I have the new v2 Beast so I imagine it is working hard. I plan on installing a simple drinking straw to point air directly across the esc which should cure the problem as well as not hammering pack after pack through this little bird.

Blessings to All
Let us know how the straw mod goes. I'm in Michigan as well and I've never had this problem, then again I've never flew more than 4 packs in a row. And yes the B3D is one amazing bird!!

-Brian
Old May 14, 2012, 09:01 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Hey Brian,

Blessings to All
With my 3D Beast I've had this happen a few times. It seems random as I couldn't replicate the issue. Very odd indeed.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old May 14, 2012, 09:33 PM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
I flew 2 packs consecutively tonight with no issues at all, in fact they were wonderful flights. What a great little plane. I do believe I had heated up the esc beyond what it could handle and with hotter weather coming I'm going to do some direct cooling. Everything is working properly and I'm glad I didn't damage the electronics. I'm also going to open one or two more holes underneath which will lighten the frame as well making the inside breathe a little more. I'm amazed how precise this little plane flies. E-flight (QQ) did a great job designing this little bird

Blessings!
Old May 15, 2012, 05:31 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Flew her four times last night in my backyard. I have to negotiate the kids playset and a mid size tree on the edge of my neighbor's property. I figured out just the right launch direction and get her out over the retention pond to gain altitude to fly over the smaller trees. Managed to do some loops and rolls, nothing fancy as I will still figuring out the flying pattern.

Did have a close call with the tree on the neighbors property, was heading straight for it knew that I would be able to swerve to miss it. Pulled her straight up into a hover and then vertically climbed up and over the tree. That was sweet, wish I had it on video and that I did it on purpose!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old May 15, 2012, 06:43 PM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
I did the straw mod but only flew it twice before I gave up on the wind. I did manage to hit a soccer goal straight on with the nose cone. It ejected the hatch and the battery slid all the way forward. The only damage was the nose cones paint is all chipped up. It made me laugh for a bit This sucker is tough!

Blessings!
Old May 15, 2012, 07:11 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
Flew her four times last night in my backyard. I have to negotiate the kids playset and a mid size tree on the edge of my neighbor's property. I figured out just the right launch direction and get her out over the retention pond to gain altitude to fly over the smaller trees. Managed to do some loops and rolls, nothing fancy as I will still figuring out the flying pattern.

Did have a close call with the tree on the neighbors property, was heading straight for it knew that I would be able to swerve to miss it. Pulled her straight up into a hover and then vertically climbed up and over the tree. That was sweet, wish I had it on video and that I did it on purpose!
IMatt,

Way to go!

No doubt about it; flying both my Beasts off my driveway has made me a better pilot.
Mature trees, street lights, etc., demand attention.
Even though I don't 'officially crash' anymre, I've had some amazing falling with style type 'landings'.

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2012, 07:38 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Lol babble I had one of those while flying out in front of my house the other morning. About 1/8th throttle straight spinner first into the tree in my front yard about 2 feet off the ground.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old May 15, 2012, 08:54 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Finally, 3Scapades!

I finally swapped the motors out and put the 3000kv in the sbach as I don't plan and 3S that one, its fast enough already. So the 2500kv stock motor and a brand new freshly balanced 5030 on it are back on the Beast. 3S maiden was done with Thunder booming about 2 miles away and winds 12-15 very gusty and variable. Rain had stopped about 15min prior and the clouds looked like it wasn't going to start up again so I popped in the 3S and took off.

The OCP reared its head once about 30 sec into the flight when a sudden gust pushed me over the treeline. Thankfully I still had surfaces control so a quick tailslide/rudder turn and I was able to almost vertically "glide" it down to the grass about 8 feet up wind of the tree. Checked everything out no damage and the esc had reset so a few static tests and all looked good so up again it went. This time no high alpha or prop hang as a precaution.

I was amazed at the speed even straight into the wind. It is definitely a little heavier but landings were fine even considering I had an almost direct crosswind. First landing I had a late gust lift the wing and blow the plane into the grass for a nose-over. The next couple landings were almost funny as I'd be flying at about a 35-40* crab to stay straight along my driveway. Last min rudder kick and keeping the upwind wing down and they were straight down the center of my driveway, until the inevitable ground-loop/swerve towards the end of roll out.

Bottom line I loved it, Tons of power! Thanks for the batteries RC.

Quick question, what is everyone doing to get these 3S packs to fit with the cowl on? I really had to push down and cram that hatch on.

-Brian
Old May 15, 2012, 09:13 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Finally, 3Scapades!
Quick question, what is everyone doing to get these 3S packs to fit with the cowl on? I really had to push down and cram that hatch on.

-Brian
Welcome to "The Club"! I just take the tab off. The cowl stays on fine without it.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq