SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:35 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
Has anyone burned out their B3D bricks by using 3S @12V? My Sbach brick popped on 3S 12V, but I haven't seen a 3D beast brick pop. Does the beast 3D electronics have more tolerance to higher voltages?

I want to fly that 3S Sbach again, but I don't want to risk another brick. If that beast 3D can handle the load, I'm going to consider getting one .
Careful. I don't have another brick to pass on.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:24 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Careful. I don't have another brick to pass on.
Maybe not then. I've haven't seen anyone with a burnt out beast 3D, but then again the risk is too much. $80 for a new brick. Sort of like a lottery.
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:36 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
Maybe not then. I've haven't seen anyone with a burnt out beast 3D, but then again the risk is too much. $80 for a new brick. Sort of like a lottery.
I got around this by putting a Beast 3D brick in my Sbach. It doesn't get fried, but unfortunately the overload pops off all the time on 3S. But my other Beast brick, actually in a Beast, works great.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:55 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I got around this by putting a Beast 3D brick in my Sbach. It doesn't get fried, but unfortunately the overload pops off all the time on 3S. But my other Beast brick, actually in a Beast, works great.
Yeah, maybe that beast brick has the right electronics in it for 3S. I'm in the"Once bitten, twice shy" state. For 3S I'll replace the RX, ESC, linear servos with HK components (like Mikerx with his 3S mods), so I can still have 3S without the risk of burning out $80 bricks.
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:56 AM
Add Lightness
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Dec 2011
302 Posts
those of you using these Hyperion G3 Cx 0240 Mah 2s 7.4v 25c/45c 2-cell Lipoly W/umx Connector. how are you charging them? there is no balance connector. I want to use a reg charger as I don't have a UMX Beast charger.
http://www.amazon.com/Hyperion-G3-2-...pd_sim_sbs_t_2
MNadMan is offline Find More Posts by MNadMan
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:13 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNadMan View Post
those of you using these Hyperion G3 Cx 0240 Mah 2s 7.4v 25c/45c 2-cell Lipoly W/umx Connector. how are you charging them? there is no balance connector. I want to use a reg charger as I don't have a UMX Beast charger.
the umx connector is also a balance tap, notice there are three wires there.
HH sells 2 adapters:
EFLA700UM Charger Plug Adapter: EFL
EFLA7001UM Charger Plug Adapter: TP

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:31 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,753 Posts
Quote:
Glenn from RC-Connectors.com will make a charge harness to fit your balance board. Excellent workmanship & customer service. If it's not on the website, just let him know what you're trying to do & he'll set you up: http://www.rc-connectors.com/

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2012, 05:00 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
This is what happens when its raining....I cant fly.....Im bored!!!
Beast (0 min 14 sec)
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:23 PM
Add Lightness
Joined Dec 2011
302 Posts
what are you guys flying your pack voltage down to?
I've been using 2x Hyperion 1s 180mah on both my Beasts v1 & v2(3d) and seems I usually am at 3.80 volts when I check the voltage after the flight.
I think I want to try some Hyperion 2s 240mah in the 3D Beast.

Those wires are so small (small gauge) on those 1s Hyperion packs, I wonder if I'm losing power capacity compared to using a 2s pack with the UMX connector. those wires look a lot thicker.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:19 PM
Add Lightness
Joined Dec 2011
302 Posts
The "Tiny Brite Lights" (LEDs) on my E-flite UMX Extra 300.

E-flite UMX Extra 300 with Tiny Brite Lights (0 min 58 sec)
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:33 AM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Ok replaced an aileron servo, and when I installed the new one they were both going the same direction again... I put the reverser that came with the servo on, and it buzzes over and over, powered off and removed it, and the servo went the other way. Do these servos somehow have a reversing capability internally where hooking up the reverser tells them to flip? Does the board have this capability? It MUST be one or the other, just curious what people have found...
d2tw4all is offline Find More Posts by d2tw4all
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:11 AM
Add Lightness
Joined Dec 2011
302 Posts
I replaced an aileron servo on my new Beast 3D and it was fine as it was.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:02 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,753 Posts
Quote:
what are you guys flying your pack voltage down to?
I've been using 2x Hyperion 1s 180mah on both my Beasts v1 & v2(3d) and seems I usually am at 3.80 volts when I check the voltage after the flight.
I think I want to try some Hyperion 2s 240mah in the 3D Beast.

Those wires are so small (small gauge) on those 1s Hyperion packs, I wonder if I'm losing power capacity compared to using a 2s pack with the UMX connector. those wires look a lot thicker.
LiPos should not be discharged deeper than 80%. Unloaded voltage a very poor indicator of discharge depth. It is far more desirable to go by how many mAh it takes to recharge.

Regarding using 1s cells in series - if you're using a harness, you are not only losing power through the 1s battery leads - you are also losing power through the harness connectors & wiring.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:10 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all View Post
Ok replaced an aileron servo, and when I installed the new one they were both going the same direction again... I put the reverser that came with the servo on, and it buzzes over and over, powered off and removed it, and the servo went the other way. Do these servos somehow have a reversing capability internally where hooking up the reverser tells them to flip? Does the board have this capability? It MUST be one or the other, just curious what people have found...
The servos are reversible via the reversing cable. Individual receiver channels can also be reversed on the board. This is explained in the various brick manuals, which can be found on Spektrum's website: http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...LBL-Manual.pdf

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:41 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all View Post

Not sure if that's at the board level, or servo, but yep, simply putting a short on the data wire will reverse a servo. (I had to do that once on my Beast 3D since nothing would work, programming wise, at the receiver level). So, the servo reverser is more than likely a way to short the data pin. I did it myself with the tip of a small screwdriver, behind the servo.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler