SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:53 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
Thanks Turnem! Been practicing inverted harriers on the sim a bit, just trying to get a sense of them and my thumbs and head reacting instinctively correctly before jumping too far into it with my little beast! I did some inverted harriers today in front of the house but it's really NOT the right place to be TRYING to learn the maneuver, just too many obstructions and too narrow! Going to take a shot at the park later today and tomorrow, see if I can't get some going.

What a plane.

Marlin
The sim is a great spot to learn inverted harriers. I know exactly what you mean - you want to make that rudder control second nature in your head before you start messing around with it on a real plane. You'll have those down in no time though...

Be sure to post a video once you've got it! They are so smooth on the Beast that you'll likely get addicted to them!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:22 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
you want to make that rudder control second nature in your head before you start messing around with it on a real plane.
For me, the elevator is the tough one. Muscle memory wants to take over! For the rudder when inverted, just push it in the direction you want the closest part of the airplane to go.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:27 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
For me, the elevator is the tough one. Muscle memory wants to take over! For the rudder when inverted, just push it in the direction you want the closest part of the airplane to go.
Hmmm... I must be misunderstanding as this seems to only work when it's coming towards you. If its going away you push right to go left.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 08:34 PM
Prunner
Auburn, KS
Joined Oct 2008
829 Posts
My little Beast seemed a little more aerobatic than usual today on the second battery. When I went to unplug after the flight I found the battery had slid clear back into the canopy! Not recommended, but this makes hovering a breeze. Makes 3 pt. landing possible on grass too.
prunner is offline Find More Posts by prunner
Last edited by prunner; Mar 24, 2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: sp
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:31 PM
United States, TN, Seymour
Joined Jun 2011
70 Posts
Found 6 GWS 5030 props for $5 shipped in classifieds. Think I did alright
slow2by2z is offline Find More Posts by slow2by2z
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:55 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,669 Posts
Rearward CoG - & Knife Edge Flight

I actually fly with the battery JUST fully under the front of the fuse in the battery box area right now. Will likely try even FURTHER back. I find at this spot though the harrier and KE is very easy.

Finally editted up the KNIFE EDGE circuit video, just for kicks. It was pretty windy so not always as low as I like at the start but brought it down pretty close to the 6 to 10 foot level for most of the middle / end of the vid.

Good laugh, just makes me grin like a kid when I sit there and do 2 or 3 big circuits completely in knife edge, close to the ground on a windy day! What a marvel of a plane.

Marlin

(For those that are interested)

Beast 3D Knife Edge Flying (4 min 46 sec)
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Mar 25, 2012, 02:10 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Hmmm... I must be misunderstanding as this seems to only work when it's coming towards you. If its going away you push right to go left.
Yup... misunderstanding... going away, push left and the rear of the plane goes left because that's the closest to you. Coming toward you push left and the front of the plane goes left because that's the closest to you. Sounds confusing, but it really works for me. Came from flying helis.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:27 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Yup... misunderstanding... going away, push left and the rear of the plane goes left because that's the closest to you. Coming toward you push left and the front of the plane goes left because that's the closest to you. Sounds confusing, but it really works for me. Came from flying helis.
Ahhhh!! Nice little tip there! I'll probably start using that one.

When doing torque rolls with my larger planes I always use think "low wing gets the rudder" when the plane is hovering belly in. Stuff like that is always helpful for committing things to thumb memory!
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:34 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
3scapades with the Beast 3D

Today's forecast calls for 7-11 MPH winds out of the north, with temps in the high 50s. Looks like a great day for some AS3scapades!

As soon as it warms up a bit, I'm heading to the field to shoot some video of the B3D on 3s with the 2300Kv/5043 combo.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:45 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
I actually fly with the battery JUST fully under the front of the fuse in the battery box area right now. Will likely try even FURTHER back. I find at this spot though the harrier and KE is very easy.

Finally editted up the KNIFE EDGE circuit video, just for kicks. It was pretty windy so not always as low as I like at the start but brought it down pretty close to the 6 to 10 foot level for most of the middle / end of the vid.

Good laugh, just makes me grin like a kid when I sit there and do 2 or 3 big circuits completely in knife edge, close to the ground on a windy day! What a marvel of a plane.

Marlin

(For those that are interested)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDKjmnmurM0
Great flying Marlin! She sure is a sweetheart in KE isn't she? I like your flying style - it seems very similar to mine. Lots of low and slow, lots of KE, lots of harrier. I really feel that the Beast excels in all these maneuvers and I enjoy just trying to make her fly as smooth as I possibly can.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:44 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Marlin,

Great flying! Loved the harrier landings & KE circuits. Who would have thought that a short-coupled bipe with a 15" wingspan could actually be relaxing to fly?

Looks like you still have plenty of snow. Spring came nearly a month early here - which doesn't happen very often. Usually, we get the big dump in mid to late March. I guess it's Old Man Winter's way of flipping us the bird as he heads off to the Land Down Under.

Packs are charged & the planes are in the car. I believe it is time to fly!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:49 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Marlin,

Great flying! Loved the harrier landings & KE circuits. Who would have thought that a short-coupled bipe with a 15" wingspan could actually be relaxing to fly?

Looks like you still have plenty of snow. Spring came nearly a month early here - which doesn't happen very often. Usually, we get the big dump in mid to late March. I guess it's Old Man Winter's way of flipping us the bird as he heads off to the Land Down Under.

Packs are charged & the planes are in the car. I believe it is time to fly!

Joel
I'm not real sure we ever even GOT a winter down here! But no complaining from me.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:14 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,801 Posts
Nice video your camera is GREAT compared to mine. I guess the AS3X does help with wing rock, see here is a video of me flying my V1 Beast Non as3x doing the same type of flying only I am inside a gym
good beast video with harriering.MP4 (2 min 19 sec)

jump to 39 secs where I start harriering it
I guess people going to have to start showing the airplane up close so people know if it is a v1 or v2 3D I still yet to fly a 3D beast like to just so see how much easier it is to fly I love my Micro beast its the best micro plane yet.

I never try inverted harrier with the Micro beast not sure why not. it fly great upside down will have to try my next time out
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:15 PM
United States, NC, Pilot Mountain
Joined Oct 2011
171 Posts
I am a little north of you, Turnerm, and our winter really consisted of one weekend. That happened to be the only weekend I have skied in two seasons. We had one "winter storm" but it was truly gone by early afternoon the next day. I am guessing that the summer heat will keep me from flying much more than the winter cold did.
Ikankrachuhmoll is offline Find More Posts by Ikankrachuhmoll
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:13 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikankrachuhmoll View Post
I am a little north of you, Turnerm, and our winter really consisted of one weekend. That happened to be the only weekend I have skied in two seasons. We had one "winter storm" but it was truly gone by early afternoon the next day. I am guessing that the summer heat will keep me from flying much more than the winter cold did.
I haven't been skiing on the east coast in forever! Went out to Deer Valley in Utah the first week of March and it was awesome. Been going out there for the past several years and we love it!