SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:39 AM
United States, NC, Pilot Mountain
Joined Oct 2011
171 Posts
I recently noticed that my elevator control surface was broken between the halves. I was able to tape it back together and the two halves move together. But, since I noticed this I also began to get more of a corkscrew action when I attempt a tight loop. During a big slow loop it will come over with almost zero lateral move. But, as I start to go with more elevator it starts to roll out. I have tried to pay close attention to the stick and I am 99% certain that I am not adding any aileron input.

Could there be some weekness/flex in the wing causing this? I can't think of what would cause it.
Ikankrachuhmoll is offline Find More Posts by Ikankrachuhmoll
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:55 AM
uk
Joined Mar 2010
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Spring is good.... well, only so good! Flew all winter long, and only had one crash on my Beast 3D. Spring must make us less careful since I added 3 crashes to my poor Beast this weekend.

Well, I guess it's better to fly the whole weekend and rake 3 crashes than not flying at all!

BTW, first one was pilot error, second one, I was flying in thick fog, and I crashed. Third one? Well, when I got my second crash, I said, "ooops, there's something wrong with my Beast" (it's on video!), I should not have crashed. But I didn't listen to myself! So next flight after I fixed it, I didn't check anything, and went flying. Board was reprogrammed (high humidity I guess) and I had both ailerons going the same way (typical of a airplane spending too much time in a tree and getting low battery). Cannot believe I didn't check it. Oh well, the Beast is still flyable, so time to read the user manual and see if I can program it back to normal!

P.S.: Also crashed my Sbach once! Was doing some sort of pylon speed laps around lighting poles, so I crashed it in very high speed (first time in a long time that I wasn't flying over grass, and didn't had the time to cut the throttle before impact). Was lucky though as I hit the curb at a very low angle. The propeller was vaporized, only the hub was left on the airplane, and only found one piece on the ground. And the landing gear was very badly bent out of shape (over 45 degree). But the airplane is ok!
Gutted for you dude.
Yeah spring is great for me, i have a tendencie for the last 4 years to start in spring and stop in the winter, maybe this will be the year i'll fly all year roud.
Clouds4brains is offline Find More Posts by Clouds4brains
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:32 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2by2z View Post
So, now that you guys set me straight on batteries, it comes down to where to order. I really don't want to wait on hobbyking's slow shipping so maybe someone knows a US supplier with the Hyperions or similar. Anyone mind pointing me in the right direction? Thanks in advanced
I usually order my Hyp factory packs & bare cells from All e RC. If you want the power & longevity of the Hyp packs, but wish to minimize weight - see RCbabbel for lightweight Hyp packs: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=54990

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2012, 02:24 PM
United States, TN, Seymour
Joined Jun 2011
70 Posts
Found a Buddy Code and got 3 Turnigy 180mAh Lipos for 11 bucks shipped . At half price I'll wait. Now the anticipation will probably kill me lol
slow2by2z is offline Find More Posts by slow2by2z
Old Mar 19, 2012, 02:40 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Quote:
Found a Buddy Code and got 3 Turnigy 180mAh Lipos for 11 bucks shipped . At half price I'll wait. Now the anticipation will probably kill me lol
Sounds like a great deal - but keep in mind that a 180 mAh pack is a bit small for the Beast 3D. Remember that flying to LVC (motor pulsing sound) will kill your packs in a very short time. Be sure to set your flight-timer accordingly.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:37 PM
United States, TN, Seymour
Joined Jun 2011
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Sounds like a great deal - but keep in mind that a 180 mAh pack is a bit small for the Beast 3D. Remember that flying to LVC (motor pulsing sound) will kill your packs in a very short time. Be sure to set your flight-timer accordingly.

Joel
I'm flying a Beast v1 and not the 3d version.
slow2by2z is offline Find More Posts by slow2by2z
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:45 PM
Joined Mar 2011
103 Posts
Aileron shake and wing wobble are caused by vibration the fix is to put a piece of tape on the back of one blade if it gets worse pull it off and put it on the other side I did this trick and wow what a difference!!!! Any vibration makes wing wobble worse, I've done the on the plane method and on the small screwdriver method either way works .so keep your pants on and your nose out of the dirt 
Wayne on Maui is offline Find More Posts by Wayne on Maui
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:00 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Quote:
I'm flying a Beast v1 and not the 3d version.
Great! The Nano 180 2s pack should work well.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:07 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Great! The Nano 180 2s pack should work well.

Joel
They work fine with the 3D too, I do 5 min flights and take out 140mA
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:08 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne on Maui View Post
Aileron shake and wing wobble are caused by vibration the fix is to put a piece of tape on the back of one blade if it gets worse pull it off and put it on the other side I did this trick and wow what a difference!!!! Any vibration makes wing wobble worse, I've done the on the plane method and on the small screwdriver method either way works .so keep your pants on and your nose out of the dirt 
did you edit your avitar or is that a blue umx beast??
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:30 PM
Joined Mar 2011
103 Posts
No it's not blue!!! it would nice but no it's a photo app
Wayne on Maui is offline Find More Posts by Wayne on Maui
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:34 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne on Maui View Post
No it's not blue!!! it would nice but no it's a photo app
o i dident think so but that would be sweet!
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:53 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
They work fine with the 3D too, I do 5 min flights and take out 140mA
Sure, the 180s will work in the B3D. But many of us are not satisfied with high-performance EDF flight-times when we're flying a single-motor prop plane.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:43 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,640 Posts
Now I know how members feel or what they mean when they post stating that there sorry for asking if it's already been asked but they could not read threw all the pages.

Just got myself a Beast 3d this afternoon and just got went for little flight in my front yard/street. First things first This Thing Is F COOL. Was familar with AS3X having it in my MQX.

Was a bit shock but then NOT when after just a couple of flights touch&go I'd say 5 minute give or take since I forgot to set the timer on my DX8.

So sorry if it's been ask before But what are you guys using for packs? Are you just getting more of the stock - I got 2 - or are you using bigger mah packs.

My LHS had some 200 or 250 pack that size wise looked identical but the connect wasn't, it had red jst connectors on it and now because I am asking I can't recall the name or brand that they were.
I know the pack was red, I know not too much help.

Anyways, maiden/first pack (5min) was pretty fun...
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:46 PM
Aircraftus Fragmentum
United States, IL, Naperville
Joined Nov 2009
176 Posts
Well, I finally did it

Beast3D maiden today. Winds for the first flight were gusting enough to push it around on the runway even when it was pointed into the wind (8-10).

Control surface direction? Check. Low rates? Check. Transmitter battery? Plenty. Nut behind the transmitter tight? Well....

I took a deep breath and slowly throttled up, and it climbed up like it knew exactly where it wanted to go. As I flew around, I could certainly tell that AS3X was working. It was moving around a bit, but nothing like I'd imagine it would be without it.

I didn't do anything too crazy, just taking my time getting a feel for it. Winds picked up even more, so after about 5 minutes I decided to bring it in. Managed a reasonable landing on the runway. On the second flight the winds picked up even more AFTER I took off , and while I think I could have managed, I cut it short and managed to land without incident.

Wow! AS3X is awesome! And adding that to the aerobatic capability of the Beast, what a cool combination. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't tried to fly one in similar conditions, or is just trying to bullschtein you. Even in conditions like this, it flew amazingly well.

Back in the day, who'da thunk we'd EVER have awesome little battery powered flying goodies like this? And 3-axis stabilized too.....

Can't wait to fly it again, in calmer conditions. I can see this is going to be one awesome plane.

And then there's the Gee Bee that followed the Beast home from the LHS. Have yet to show that one the sky....
Seeya is offline Find More Posts by Seeya