SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:02 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Here's the clip of me dumb-thumbing the B3D into the pavement the other day. On closer inspection, she was repairable, so the Sbach will have to wait a bit longer to get AS3Xed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6hdoSOvW7M

Joel
Crikey!! I know that feeling though. You know you're in trouble but you don't fully commit to your exit maneuver and by the time you double think it she's on the ground!!

That should be repairable though!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:03 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
.....On closer inspection, she was repairable......
Joel
Good luck with the repairs!!!

I'm afraid my B3D is on a downward spiral, literally and figuratively.

The tipping point may have been a couple weeks ago, when I did a complete wing replacement. Everything went back together ok -- all the struts and rods looked sharp, servos secure and working smoothly, etc. -- but a close inspection revealed that things weren't perfect. Nevertheless, I thought that the AS3X would cover my repair defects: things like angles 88 degrees instead of 90, a tiny bit of wing warp here and there. Didn't seem to go that way, though.

Now, she's flying worse. (So am I.) .....More hard landings......U-bend positions that work for one flight, then don't work for the next......Can't achieve a consistent good trim.....

Yesterday, she wanted to fly only KE -- although I was fighting to fly level. While I wrestled with the sticks, a tree maneuvered itself in front of her and caught her at the 30' level. Took me half an hour, and several high-velocity direct hits by a vigorously-thrown soccer ball , to bring her down.

Today, she's back together again.

But I doubt that'll last long.........

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:51 PM
Shine On !
Northern Ohio
Joined Feb 2003
1,011 Posts
Must be a day for crashes ! Took advantage of the nice weather and flew my Beast V1 today. forgot how much fun it was. I was wringing it out pretty hard when the ailerons locked fully deflected and it spun in. No throttle control. I reduced throttle to zero to lessen the impact. It didn't hit real hard and the field was mushy grass. After it hit I heard the brick re-initialize. I walked over, had full control again. Brown out? Current protection? Jammed servos? No clue.. I did reduce travel on all my servos to 95% just to be safe...can hardly tell on the plane...still fully aerobatic. Only damage was a wrinkled spinner and small tear in the starboard strut.
AtomHeartMother is online now Find More Posts by AtomHeartMother
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:00 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
While I wrestled with the sticks, a tree maneuvered itself in front of her and caught her at the 30' level. Took me half an hour, and several high-velocity direct hits by a vigorously-thrown soccer ball , to bring her down.
What? half an hour to pick up an airplane from a tree? Come on, no primate left in you? Watch this video starting at 3:00 That's how you retrieve an airplane from a tree!!!

UMX Beast in the snow (9 min 38 sec)
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:17 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
What? half an hour to pick up an airplane from a tree? Come on, no primate left in you? Watch this video starting at 3:00 That's how you retrieve an airplane from a tree!!!
LOL

RG, I admired your simian arboreal skills back when you first posted that vid.....Great stuff!!!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=13797

Unfortunately, down South here in the land of dense jungle, many trees are not climbable. At least not by old geezers like me. (See photo.)

Our trees do have gazillions of tiny twigs and branchlets, which are like velcro for a featherweight biplane and its numerous struts and braces.

Twice, a police car stopped and watched while I shook the tree, yanked on vines, and threw the soccer ball in the air and chased after it repeatedly.

They probably could have detained me on any number of charges.

Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:27 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
LOL

RG, I admired your simian arboreal skills back when you first posted that vid.....Great stuff!!!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=13797

Unfortunately, down South here in the land of dense jungle, many trees are not climbable. At least not by old geezers like me. (See photo.)

Our trees do have gazillions of tiny twigs and branchlets, which are like velcro for a featherweight biplane and its numerous struts and braces.

Twice, a police car stopped and watched while I shook the tree, yanked on vines, and threw the soccer ball in the air and chased after it repeatedly.

They probably could have detained me on any number of charges.

Oof, tell me about it. These trees don't let go of planes at all! At least not without some damage... And I can't climb anything around here, branches are way too thin and there's way too many that will poke you the whole way up and down.
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:45 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
Oof, tell me about it. These trees don't let go of planes at all! At least not without some damage... And I can't climb anything around here, branches are way too thin and there's way too many that will poke you the whole way up and down.
Amen, Brother Lag!

I believe that the last Yankee experience with such a forest was the Battle of the Wilderness, which didn't work out so well for them.

Wasn't that right in your backyard? (Here's another photo - but be warned, it's gruesome and not for kids.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sk...erness1864.jpg

Last edited by pugsam; Feb 29, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:09 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,018 Posts
Yep, about 5-10 minutes away. And wow, how'd that work out for them ?
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:17 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
Yep, about 5-10 minutes away. And wow, how'd that work out for them ?
I believe, sir, that those Northern Aggressors would say they've had better days than that.......

Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:58 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Sorry for reposting the video, but everytime I watch it, I still laugh. Forgetting to turn off the camera was the funniest thing I did that day!

BTW: I'm an old guy, but I love climbing things. That tree was very easy since it's in a public park, so kids likely have climbed it thousand times, getting rid of little branches and twigs for me. But the other place were I fly my big airplanes has a few tree and I usually fly with guys who could easily my kids and some of them possibly even my grand-kids. Yet, when any airplane get stuck in one of the few trees we have around, I'm the one who go climb to pick it up while they laugh like crazy on the ground!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:34 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
......I usually fly with guys who could easily my kids and some of them possibly even my grand-kids......
Wow, you must have been a wild and crazy guy! Imagine flying at the park, looking at peoples' faces, and wondering which of them are your children and grandchildren!!!

Question: How do you keep your fingers from freezing, but at the same time manage to work the sticks?

Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:10 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Wow RG, that's heroic. Climbing a tree for your precious Beast, thats like an advertising trademark!!
Im terribly clumsy, made worse by cerebellum trauma, but one day I climbed a young sycamore for an Aero Ace. Im pretty proud of that
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:14 AM
jason uk
wolverhampton(UK)
Joined Jun 2004
302 Posts
Any ideas where I can get an Ali/metal/ stronger prop adapter from ? Broke 3 last night(first flights of the year. Lol)
Cheers
jaylad is offline Find More Posts by jaylad
Old Mar 01, 2012, 05:09 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,719 Posts
Replace one plastic part with an aluminum one or stronger one made from whatever and then the next weakest part in the chain fails. Next perhpas the motor mount . firwall,fuselage .

I received my Beast V1 for X-Mas and I only have 27 flights on it but nothing has broken but then I di not fly it into obstacles either.
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Mar 01, 2012, 05:21 AM
jason uk
wolverhampton(UK)
Joined Jun 2004
302 Posts
I understand your statement,but the plastic is very week,only slight bad landing and snap,If it was metal it would not of broke and neither would anything else,any body know of any Ali ones ?
jaylad is offline Find More Posts by jaylad