HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:35 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Jan 2012
365 Posts
Well I made a few flights this morning, still too windy. Yesterday the report said less than 5, by the time I got home it said 10-15 and I believe it. Crashed it twice broke one wheel pant off and cracked the other, knocked the spinner off and cracked one spar between the wings.

Had BLAST flying it though! Really need some calmer winds to perfect my landings, a few repairs and Ill be back at it!
Lumpy05 is offline Find More Posts by Lumpy05
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:18 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
After a long day of flying my bigger planes... I came home and threw the Beast up in the air. It was windy (around 10-11mph) but the Beast handled it well.

3D Beast - Front Yard Flying (6 min 52 sec)
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:30 PM
Joined Mar 2011
254 Posts
Hey guys. I recently received a free Champ from my LHS. I am mainly a heli guy and it is my first plank. I found it very easy to fly and I plan on changing a few settings on my DX7s and set up the Champ itself for more advanced flight. I also found the rudder setup on the DX7s file a PITA. I like the rudder on my left stick. But half way though my first battery I was pushing that little plane to it's limits.

Anyhow this is not the Champ thread It is the Beast thread. lol

I have a couple of questions about the Beast. I secretly always wanted one! Now I just have to have it!

Is anyone out there running the UM Beast on two tandem mCPX batteries? I have a bunch of old mCPX batteries that lack the punch for my heli that run the Champ for 10min. I don't want to have a bunch of different UM batteries to deal with. I think this could work for me. What do you guys think?

The batteries I have are 1s 3.7v 250 and 300 mah 25 and 30c batteries.

Is there another UM I should be looking at or is the sexy Beast where its at?
litehawkdown is offline Find More Posts by litehawkdown
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:55 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
I made a few packs of batteries using mCPx batteries (homemade packs, I ripped the original connectors, and soldered UMX connectors). I can tell you they work in the Beast, but they are slightly too heavy for my taste. Ideally, you want to fly the Beast light, so 180mah batteries is pretty much the heaviest you want to use.

But sure enough, for plain flight with the odd 3D moves, using two batteries with a Y adapter (available in a few places) would work, to get you started for cheap. Once you get better though, you'll likely want lighter batteries.

Personally, I find it hard to be sexier than the Beast! Not a beginner airplane though... Log MANY hours on the Champ first, and maybe on a simulator.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:59 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by litehawkdown View Post
Hey guys. I recently received a free Champ from my LHS. I am mainly a heli guy and it is my first plank. I found it very easy to fly and I plan on changing a few settings on my DX7s and set up the Champ itself for more advanced flight. I also found the rudder setup on the DX7s file a PITA. I like the rudder on my left stick. But half way though my first battery I was pushing that little plane to it's limits.

Anyhow this is not the Champ thread It is the Beast thread. lol

I have a couple of questions about the Beast. I secretly always wanted one! Now I just have to have it!

Is anyone out there running the UM Beast on two tandem mCPX batteries? I have a bunch of old mCPX batteries that lack the punch for my heli that run the Champ for 10min. I don't want to have a bunch of different UM batteries to deal with. I think this could work for me. What do you guys think?

The batteries I have are 1s 3.7v 250 and 300 mah 25 and 30c batteries.

Is there another UM I should be looking at or is the sexy Beast where its at?
Regarding batteries - the Beast 3D is not a Champ. It is an unlimited aerobatic hot-rod that draws 3A+. It requires top-notch batteries for good performance. If the batteries lack punch in the mCP X, they will perform very poorly in the Beast 3D. Plus, you'll lose some power through the series harness.

The Beast 3D is an excellent-flying plane, but it is not really the best choice for an aileron trainer. It has zero self-righting capability, and it is not very crash-resistant. If you're used to flying hopped-up 250 or 300-class flybarred helis, I suggest the Pole Cat or Sukhoi XP. If you're not used to fast, sensitive, highly maneuverable helis, I suggest the UM T-28.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:04 PM
United States, WA, Camano Island
Joined Nov 2009
21 Posts
litehawkdown

I was going to post my results after using two 1s 200 MAH E Flite batteries. I have a bunch of batteries from my UM planes that I can use in the beast. I use a y adapter so I can use all my smaller batteries. You will need two charging leads from the charger from the MCPX. I bought an extra charging lead for $4.00 at the LHS.

WOW what a difference! I did a quick test flight this afternoon. The Beast will go straight up and take off in about 3' It has a lot more power than the stock 180 batteries.

I don't know if anyone else is using MPCX batteries in the Beast. I'm going to make another y adapter with shorter leads so I can use the MPCX batteries.

CAMBOAT
camboat is offline Find More Posts by camboat
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:23 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,171 Posts
A good 2s pack (such as the Hyperion 180 or 240 mAh UMX packs) will blow away any dual mCP X battery setup. Especially if you're using Eflite mCP X batteries.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:24 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
A good 2s pack (such as the Hyperion 180 or 240 mAh UMX packs) will blow away any dual mCP X battery setup. Especially if you're using Eflite mCP X batteries.

Joel
Yup, yup yup! Don't hobble your Beast. It's such a fantastic performer with the right batteries. Way fun.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:36 AM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Mar 2011
50 Posts
Hey Guys,
Was given a V1 Beast for xmas and have read both the owners and mod threads from back to back. Was a little worried this plane was going to be too much for me and the lovely weather we get in England (usually windy as ****), so its sat in its box until i had the perfect day for it . Well on sunday the perfect weather came and the beast came to the field along with my trusty t-28. Few flights of the T and was sure wind was only 2-3mph(if that). Nervously i hand launched(no runways at my field) and to my utter disbelief it flew perfect with no trimming straight out the box. Man is this thing fun. At first was only going to acclimatize myself with it but after one battery of flyin mostly laps with the occasional flip or roll i decided to see what it (or should i say Im) capable of, WOW . Usually i get one or two people watchin me fly but to my shock when i landed by my feet and turned around there were about 12 people watching and i got a little round of applause . Please dont think im an amazing pilot cause the vids you guys post put me to shame but this lil plane is so chuckable i think it even makes novice pilots look good! More practice and i might even put a vid up.

And the best bit was after 5 of my MA batts i hadn't even crashed once , a true feat for me usually but i was flyin 3 mistakes high as everyone said.
Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for their advice as it was all spot on.

Lex (Another happy Beast pilot)
minimadlex is offline Find More Posts by minimadlex
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:48 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimadlex View Post
Hey Guys,
Was given a V1 Beast for xmas and have read both the owners and mod threads from back to back. Was a little worried this plane was going to be too much for me and the lovely weather we get in England (usually windy as ****), so its sat in its box until i had the perfect day for it . Well on sunday the perfect weather came and the beast came to the field along with my trusty t-28. Few flights of the T and was sure wind was only 2-3mph(if that). Nervously i hand launched(no runways at my field) and to my utter disbelief it flew perfect with no trimming straight out the box. Man is this thing fun. At first was only going to acclimatize myself with it but after one battery of flyin mostly laps with the occasional flip or roll i decided to see what it (or should i say Im) capable of, WOW . Usually i get one or two people watchin me fly but to my shock when i landed by my feet and turned around there were about 12 people watching and i got a little round of applause . Please dont think im an amazing pilot cause the vids you guys post put me to shame but this lil plane is so chuckable i think it even makes novice pilots look good! More practice and i might even put a vid up.

And the best bit was after 5 of my MA batts i hadn't even crashed once , a true feat for me usually but i was flyin 3 mistakes high as everyone said.
Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for their advice as it was all spot on.

Lex (Another happy Beast pilot)
Glad you're enjoying it. It's certainly a fantastic little plane for sure!! If you like this one then you will love the 3D Beast!!
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:48 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,641 Posts
Happy for ya Lex!

She's a lover not a fighter.

If my BV1 ever gets destryed, I will create another with a new B3D airframe.

Her fraternal twin on 3S steroids, has been taking to much of my stick time.

Fly well,

rc

ps.... "More practice and i might even put a vid up."
Me T!
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:37 PM
Too much to do not enough time
Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2010
273 Posts
Oh, on that topic, still no smoke from the 3DBeast on 3S? I should be getting a series connector for 3 of my 1S batteries today. I wanted to make sure that it's a reasonably safe venture before I start smoking bricks....

And great to see you're enjoying it lex! My V1 beast is officially dead, I've parted out her guts to help fund my 3D beast. (smoked my brick in a pond) But it was a boatload of fun. Have fun, just do NOT fly her over water!
BobaFett1138 is offline Find More Posts by BobaFett1138
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:59 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,641 Posts
Boba,

No luck smoking another brick... yet!

Trying my best to get a live body with a video cam to show y'all what 3S does in the B3D.
Such Fun!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3938

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:19 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,171 Posts
Stuffed Beast

Here's the clip of me dumb-thumbing the B3D into the pavement the other day. On closer inspection, she was repairable, so the Sbach will have to wait a bit longer to get AS3Xed.

Crashing my UMX Beast 3D (4 min 49 sec)

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:40 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Ouch... Though, if one guy should know better, it YOU. Flying about 1 mistake high, above asphalt... Tsk, tsk, tsk!!! That's a crash that would not have been so bad over grass.

Very nice hover though! And I'm sure there's way more hovers to come out of that little Beast!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler