Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:13 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Marlin,

... AS3X is definitely one of those things that must be experienced to fully appreciate what it can do for one's flying experience ... At first, I thought that maybe I'd still want to fly my V1 Beasts in calm conditions - however, I find myself reaching for the B3D every time. My V1s have been collecting hangar dust ever since the B3D showed up. AS3X is definitely a game-changer!

Joel
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I totally agree Joel. I really thought that I'd still fly my V1 Beasts (I have two of them) when it was calm and my 3D Beast when it was windy but it just didn't work out that way...
Could NOT agree with you both more, having flown this now I actually don't miss my little Beast V1 which was probably top two on my favourite planes list! Truly amazing technology the AS3X is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by makg View Post
Alright guys, a little bit of a follow up. I called HH and explained my problem and told the customer service what my problem was (both ailerons on each side go same direction), and I told him that I used the procedure on page 7 to try to reverse CH2 and CH6. What this does is disable the left servo completely. He thought it was strange and sent me a servo. I do NOT think a new servo will solve my problem. I also asked if he thought a servo reversing lead might help and he is sending me one of those as well. I HOPE that works.

Does anybody have any other ideas of what to do to get both ailerons working independently again, while retaining the stabilization of both on AS3X? I have tried to reverse them on the receiver using the AR6400LBL manual (page 7) and no dice. I haven't opened this thing up and screwed with any of the servo leads. Any help would be appreciated.
Just a thought, maybe you should try to do up a short video. Show the plane and your Tx and what is happening when you do what. Then zoom in and show the folks here your settings, REVERSE settings, WING settings (dual aileron, elevon, etc) and go from there. While on camera, try first turning OFF dual ailerons, then turning OFF elevon settings. Then use the steps outlined above to set up Ch2 and Ch6 as per factory (Ch2 normal, with Ch6 a reverse of Ch2 ...)

Maybe go through your Tx settings screen by screen at the end, just so some of the more knowledgeable folks can have a look.

I just find a picture is worth a 1000 words and a video is a War and Peace! Might help, I hope.

To me it certainly sounds like a Rx / brick thing or a Tx setting thing, though it is POSSIBLE that you got a funky servo, I suppose, that was reversed, but that would only make sense if it was doing this all along, and I don't think that was the case, so a new servo isn't likely to fix your issue. Servo reversing lead should get it working right, but I would worry what that would do to your AS3X system, as it thinks it is correcting ONE WAY but will be correcting the other??? You shouldn't need that anyway.

Just a thought, and good luck,

Marlin
Fish99 is online now Find More Posts by Fish99
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:45 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkimball View Post
Apparently, they can't get them in fast enough to satisfy the demand. Still have 2 on backorder myself. However, I was able to get a Gee Bee since they are in stock.
Hi Kevin,

How's it going? Had a chance to maiden the Gee Bee yet?

I'm having a blast with mine. The plane definitely has a unique personality. I'm very happy that they didn't tune all of the 'Gee Bee' out of the UMX Gee Bee!

Back to the Beast - ever since the Beast 3D came out, I find myself actually looking for opportunities to fly in the wind. There's something about being able to fly a plane right beside myself. I find it mesmerizing to watch its reactions to the air currents & to my control inputs. I remember playing with rubber-powered planes when I was young, dreaming about being able to control them while walking alongside. Flying the Beast 3D in a 10-15 MPH wind pretty much fulfills that childhood dream - and then some! There is nothing quite like doing aerobatic maneuvers with the plane just 'sitting' there, only a few feet away. I can easily spend an afternoon having fun flying absolutely nowhere!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:54 PM
ISP Supervisor
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2006
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
Could NOT agree with you both more, having flown this now I actually don't miss my little Beast V1 which was probably top two on my favourite planes list! Truly amazing technology the AS3X is!

Just a thought, maybe you should try to do up a short video. Show the plane and your Tx and what is happening when you do what. Then zoom in and show the folks here your settings, REVERSE settings, WING settings (dual aileron, elevon, etc) and go from there. While on camera, try first turning OFF dual ailerons, then turning OFF elevon settings. Then use the steps outlined above to set up Ch2 and Ch6 as per factory (Ch2 normal, with Ch6 a reverse of Ch2 ...)

Maybe go through your Tx settings screen by screen at the end, just so some of the more knowledgeable folks can have a look.

I just find a picture is worth a 1000 words and a video is a War and Peace! Might help, I hope.

To me it certainly sounds like a Rx / brick thing or a Tx setting thing, though it is POSSIBLE that you got a funky servo, I suppose, that was reversed, but that would only make sense if it was doing this all along, and I don't think that was the case, so a new servo isn't likely to fix your issue. Servo reversing lead should get it working right, but I would worry what that would do to your AS3X system, as it thinks it is correcting ONE WAY but will be correcting the other??? You shouldn't need that anyway.

Just a thought, and good luck,

Marlin
I think a servo reversing lead should do the trick. If it doesn't, I'll give HH another call. It just did this out of the blue with plenty of flights under its belt.
makg is offline Find More Posts by makg
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:56 PM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,233 Posts
Any tips on the Gee Bee?? Mine is comming soon!
RemE is online now Find More Posts by RemE
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:59 PM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,233 Posts
Quote:
I think a servo reversing lead should do the trick. If it doesn't, I'll give HH another call. It just did this out of the blue with plenty of flights under its belt.
I agree, the stock setup brick has both ail channels (sockets) driven from one channel. It is completely odd for a servo to just reverse itself out of the blue that's for sure. Can't wait to hear if it's the servo or the brick when you get your parts.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:22 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemE View Post
Any tips on the Gee Bee?? Mine is comming soon!

Rem,

Check for the over-current-protection thing before you fly. Some have it, some don't. If yours does, run her up a bit on the ground before takeoff to reduce the voltage a bit. Or, don't firewall it on takeoff, and avoid 100% throttle for the first 10 seconds or so of the flight. HH is providing new bricks to those who have the problem, or you can send it back. She's more power-hungry. than previous UMX ships, as you'd expect. With the stock prop, I'm getting ~4:40 to the 80% discharge point with my Hyp 240s. Surprisingly, the 5030 seems to work very well on this plane, despite the bulbous cowl. I'm getting ~5:30 to the 80% mark with the 5030. To get the widest range of CG adjustment, mount your packs sideways, and on edge.

Crosswind landings are pretty much out of the picture, and crosswind takeoffs can get rather interesting. Again, no surprise, given the airframe.

Here's my mini-review, with a video comparing the stock prop & the 5030:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1593445

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:49 PM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,233 Posts
Nice review, I LOVE your field! Looked and sounded a bit cold for my thin blood. The GeeBee looks great in the air and you did it proud.

Thanks for sharing!
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:44 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
If I remember well, you said you heard the 5 beeps, meaning the board entered programming mode. You may want to lower the trim on the throttle by a few clicks. This will not change anything in the way it does fly, but it will help preventing you from entering programming mode again, just in case. Sometime, you can enter programming mode by accidentally setting the throttle only a few clicks up, so lowering the throttle trim help a very little bit.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 14, 2012, 07:06 AM
Custom airplanes and boats
Zellwood, FL
Joined Aug 2010
237 Posts
Joel,

Thinks are good here. We just had a night of winter right at freezing. Wow! Glad that's over...

No, just got the Gee Bee yesterday afternoon off the brown truck. I took it home so the guys in the shop wouldn't get a chance to fly it before I am ready! It is a cute thing. Steve Wolf and Delmar Benjamin who built the full scale version are friends of mine and I have been all over Delmar's R2 in and out. Even worked on it some over the years. His success was part of my inspiration to build the build the Gee Bee Z we completed in 1996. Now, Kermit Weeks owns both the airplanes in his museum about an hour from me. We sold the Z to him years ago so he bought Delmar's R2 and a few other racers to keep it company. I was able to help introduce the HH guys to Kermit for this UMX project. Anyway, we'll fly it this week sometime.

Agreed on the windy flying of the Beast 3D. Itis amazing how the airplane can be suspended in space. As I think you know, I have 2 UMX Beasts and 2 UMX Beasts 3D. I got the 3d planes as part of the first 20 in the US. One each are here in my office not to fly. Just to look at. A couple of weeks ago, one of the guys at the shop was flying the B3D and doing lots of blenders and other hard stuff. We were watching as he said, "Now the Blender of death!" It was true. The airplane stopped responding at the end of the blender when it was on a perfect downline really fast. So it went STRAIGHT IN and disassembled itself. That one had over 400 flights on it by a half dozen pilots all with stock 180 batteries and on the very first original prop. In fact, the prop didn't break in the crash, but just about everything else did. So, not sure if it was a plane issue or a problem with his tranny. Controls worked after crash.

I have had 2 more B3D on backorder since November. Being in the position I am in with HH on this project, I got 2 before anyone else. But, I have to wait for all dealer back orders to be satisfied before I get my other ones. It is tempting to take the one from the office and fly it but I will wait for the next ones to get here. The dang thing is so popular that it is hard for HH to keep stock!

Anyway, it makes me so happy to follow so many good stories about the UMX BEAST and BEAST 3D. We smile the entire time the thing flies here no matter who is at the controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Hi Kevin,

How's it going? Had a chance to maiden the Gee Bee yet?

I'm having a blast with mine. The plane definitely has a unique personality. I'm very happy that they didn't tune all of the 'Gee Bee' out of the UMX Gee Bee!

Back to the Beast - ever since the Beast 3D came out, I find myself actually looking for opportunities to fly in the wind. There's something about being able to fly a plane right beside myself. I find it mesmerizing to watch its reactions to the air currents & to my control inputs. I remember playing with rubber-powered planes when I was young, dreaming about being able to control them while walking alongside. Flying the Beast 3D in a 10-15 MPH wind pretty much fulfills that childhood dream - and then some! There is nothing quite like doing aerobatic maneuvers with the plane just 'sitting' there, only a few feet away. I can easily spend an afternoon having fun flying absolutely nowhere!

Joel
kjkimball is offline Find More Posts by kjkimball
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:40 AM
United States, PA, Archbald
Joined Oct 2002
274 Posts
Quote:
Okay I tried this and what it does is make it so only my right aileron functions. If I reverse it again I'm back to ailerons that go in the same direction. I did reverse my rudder back to normal. I guess I'll give HH a call after my next class is out.
You are the third person I know of this happening to, myself included. After a long discussion on the phone with HH my plane is back with them now. Hopefully a replacement will be sent.

Bob
bob swika is offline Find More Posts by bob swika
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:50 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
I can't remember if I posted this issue in this thread or the other one (we really ought to consolidate these - I can't keep up) but I was having some wing flutter with my new 3D Beast after switching to the V1 motor and 5043 prop. I was also getting some serious vibrations. Through a process of elimination I determined that the source of the vibration was the V1 motor. It's not suprising as this is the one that was on my original 3D Beast when I nosed it in at nearly full throttle (elevator servo got stuck).

So... I switched back to the stock motor and stock prop and flew her this morning. The vibrations were completely gone as was the wing flutter. So, for me at least, this wing flutter issue appears to be ultimately caused by excess vibrations which likely confuse the gyro or make it work overtime. Vibrations can be caused by an unbalanced prop, spinner, or a bent prop shaft.

I think I'm just going to leave my 3D Beast completely stock except for the batteries this time around. For my flying style (mostly low, slow, and close in) I don't need the crazy unlimited vertical or the raw speed.

Oh... and this morning I was getting some sweet rolling harriers on full rates. Previously I had to dial down my rates to get these to work but I was keeping up with it on full rates this morning (aileron push rods on next to last hole in control horn too). It's a bit of a blur and I was having issues completing the last quarter of my turn because of orientation issues (my focal point on the plane to time my elevator inputs is the silver side of the wing and it gets difficult to see this at one point during the circuit so I need to find a better focal point I guess) but I'll keep practicing until I get it down. The faster roll on full rate rolling harriers actually makes the manuever smoother (and cooler looking too!) so I'll keep working on it until I nail it.

Video coming once I get it nailed down a bit. Shoudln't take long - I tried it for the first time this morning and basically had it within my first two attempts... I just need to nail down that last little bit and I'm good to go.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:03 AM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,556 Posts
Just listed the guts for the Beast 3D if anyone is interested.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594545
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:05 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
Just listed the guts for the Beast 3D if anyone is interested.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594545
Man! What's WRONG with you!

Just kidding... I'd buy it from you but I need another plane like I need a hole in my head.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:13 AM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,556 Posts
I just like V1 way better
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:13 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
I just like V1 way better
Ok... now I'm really concerned about you.