HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:29 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,150 Posts
Flat spins, its not a 3D machine, its probably because the control surfaces are made to be scale and offer authoritative precision rather than 3D.

About chargers. Does it matter? I fly to a timer, i know that by the time that time goes off im roughly at 30%. Even if my cellpro's % reading is inaccurate by 5% it doesnt really matter. My batteries are fine after a hundred cycles and i get more flight time than my girlfriend/mom likes. Batteries are fine, 7 min of flight, gf jealous of my planes, am i missing something? No. Im not trying to be negative, it just seems kinda silly, what really matters is that you have a hobby charger rather than the stock one.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:35 PM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,472 Posts
Right, nuff said.

Well, except... 7min flights + GF jealous = get new GF before it's too late!
RemE is online now Find More Posts by RemE
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:00 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
Some hobby chargers are off 20% or more .does it matter? It matters to me.
One hundred flights on a LiPoly is great for some I have ThunderPowers and Hyperions with 300 to 600 flights on them and no not easy coasting around flights.

You get 7 min. with your Beast ,I get 4 to 5 with Hyperion 180s. and they are 80% depleted.

A 3D plane is not required to do flat spins in fact flat spins are not a 3D manuver at all.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:04 AM
3D... the only way to fly!
Kissimmee
Joined Apr 2010
336 Posts
Yea I got mine to flatten out a bit, it did better on the roof than right side up. I flew it into the outside inverted, then took out the aileron, once the wing picked up I then added 20%? throttle. It took a few tries, I'm kinda new to seeing it, rather than feeling it
snjbird is offline Find More Posts by snjbird
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:41 AM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,822 Posts
was going to say a ugly stick will flat spin and its no where near a 3d plane. even if i can 3d one
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:52 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
was going to say a ugly stick will flat spin and its no where near a 3d plane. even if i can 3d one
Yup.

My 60-size Ace Bingo is also far from being a 3D plane, but I tuned it to do nose-high flat-spins, and set it up to do high-alpha & post-stall maneuvers. But that was back in '91. I didn't even know the term '3D' back then. My 1/4-scale Super Cub also does nice flat-spins.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2012, 03:08 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,150 Posts
Okay, yes i agree, many non 3D planes can flat spin great, i can get my P51 BL into a better knife edge spin than my dad's 52" PA Extra MX! I guess i mean to say, while the box says 3D, its not a 3D machine, so certain maneuvers that are a given for 3D may be unobtainable with this plane.
It was a very bad way to say that the B3D shows little flat spinning strength.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:54 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
Have you gotten your beast to flat spin? mine just seems not to want to do it at all my 42" aj slick flat spins so easy maybe i am spoiled lol
I've tried and tried and not been successful at flat spins on the Beast 3D or V1). Someone once told me though that they put a small washer on the tail wheel and it got the CG back far enough to pull it off. Haven't tried that yet though.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:57 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Okay, yes i agree, many non 3D planes can flat spin great, i can get my P51 BL into a better knife edge spin than my dad's 52" PA Extra MX! I guess i mean to say, while the box says 3D, its not a 3D machine, so certain maneuvers that are a given for 3D may be unobtainable with this plane.
It was a very bad way to say that the B3D shows little flat spinning strength.
I agree. Although I love this plane, I think they made a mistake by putting 3D anywhere in the name.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:57 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
......7 min of flight, gf jealous of my planes......
With women, you have to learn to read between the lines.

I think the message here is not that the problem is on the airplane side. Maybe it's that you need to work on increasing your flight time with her.

You need to get to 7+ minutes.....there are pills for that..........

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:10 AM
ICU
Check out my Shapeways Shop
Dallas,Tx.
Joined Apr 2007
1,202 Posts
Hey RemE,

I found that post regarding the mixes. It was in this thread, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1578057

Quote:
Originally Posted by J31968 View Post
I talked to horizon after I got it working and they said that putting mixes in confuses the as3x system. I had noticed a funny twitch in the aileron servos just before my rudder went out. May have been the fact that I was switching back and forth between the 2.
GL in your endeavor.

EDIT: also posting this over in the Sbach thread. Forgot that was where this discussion was.
ICU is offline Find More Posts by ICU
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:25 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I've tried and tried and not been successful at flat spins on the Beast 3D or V1). Someone once told me though that they put a small washer on the tail wheel and it got the CG back far enough to pull it off. Haven't tried that yet though.
Same here. I can get mine to do sort of a flat rotating descent, however the wing is definitely not stalled. It appears that the plane is actually doing a very tight descending flat-turn rather than actually auto-rotating. There is simply not enough elevator authority to stall the wing - even with a moderately-aft CG. Might have to try some tail-ballast & see what happens. At least AS3X will tame the 'Sabre-dance' on approach.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:40 PM
3D... the only way to fly!
Kissimmee
Joined Apr 2010
336 Posts
I will have togo try again, maybe get my official photographer to take a video, I was trying them with both the XP and the beast the same day.
snjbird is offline Find More Posts by snjbird
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:57 PM
United States, NC, Pilot Mountain
Joined Oct 2011
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
It appears that the plane is actually doing a very tight descending flat-turn rather than actually auto-rotating.

Joel
this is probably a more accurate description than what I originally offered. It would seem that one wing-tip was at the center of the spiral but the plane was at enough of an angle that the decent was somewhat slow. Mine seems to fall out of the sky like rock with a tail section. I can get maybe three rolls before I run out of altitude and/or bravery.
Ikankrachuhmoll is online now Find More Posts by Ikankrachuhmoll
Old Jan 25, 2012, 02:23 PM
United States, NC, Pilot Mountain
Joined Oct 2011
171 Posts
Another question,, is there a recommended source for the GWS 5030?

Hard landing today has caused one end of mine to begin splitting. I have a stock spare that came with the plane but I only hear good things about the 5030.
Ikankrachuhmoll is online now Find More Posts by Ikankrachuhmoll