HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:54 AM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
x2! B3D with no lipo no charger no Tx was perfect!
Agreed. the Beast 3D and Extra 300 UMX are for experienced UM flyers, who mostly have a collection of those "one hitter" chargers lying around, and who have long since chucked their PZ and E-Flite batts. I hope to see more BNF Basic planes in the future. Take the money saved, and get some TP, Hyperion, or Miniaviation batteries.
MR2
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:03 AM
United States, NC, Pilot Mountain
Joined Oct 2011
171 Posts
Mine came this way. No battery, no charger and of course, no radio. Just the plane and an extra prop. $140 from Ebay, same price as the LHS who was out of stock. Maybe the charger was removed by the Ebay seller? Or, is there a version that is supposed to come this way.

No big deal for me, I rarely use the chargers that came with my other UMs.
Ikankrachuhmoll is offline Find More Posts by Ikankrachuhmoll
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:49 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Even if they supplied perfect LiPolys we would still have to figure out the best props. for each model and the best Kv motor for each model also it would appear.

I have never seen or heard of any E flite aircraft coming from them with the best prop. fitted and on top of that they want $3 or more each for a prop that can be replaced with a $0.50 to $0.95 GWS one.
That's because they "prop" them to work best with their craptastic batteries. If they shipped with decent batteries, they could stop hobbling them with weak props.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:01 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
That's because they "prop" them to work best with their craptastic batteries. If they shipped with decent batteries, they could stop hobbling them with weak props.
Bing!

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:14 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
FYI I have tested HK 45 / 90C 3S Nanotec LiPoly and it was not impressive either and I do have 2S 180 HK nano ordered which will be tested also..

Charles
Charles, if you have a chance, please test those 2S 180 in (extreme) cold as well. The batch I got are truly impressive! Been flying them in -25C temperature, and they are doing very well. I'm wondering if I got a "out of ordinary" batch or not. For me, Turnigy, and Flightmax have been a huge lottery. Sometime I would get a good batch, sometime I would get a very bad batch, but sure enough, all of them were not that good in the cold. But, so far, my first batch of Nanotech 180 have been quite good, power wise, but the thing that impress me the most about them, is how they so suddenly handle cold so well. Up to now, I always thought Hyperions was the best, BY FAR, in the cold, but my new Nanotech are easily as good. Sure enough, they have less than 10 cycles so far, so time will tell as well.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:15 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikankrachuhmoll View Post
Mine came this way. No battery, no charger and of course, no radio. Just the plane and an extra prop. $140 from Ebay, same price as the LHS who was out of stock. Maybe the charger was removed by the Ebay seller? Or, is there a version that is supposed to come this way.

No big deal for me, I rarely use the chargers that came with my other UMs.

The new Beast 3D is only available in a "Basic" package. So if you got a 3D, that's normal. And since this is not a beginner airplane, most members here will tell you this is a great idea since they already have a collection of chargers and batteries.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:57 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,654 Posts
Quote:
Charles, if you have a chance, please test those 2S 180 in (extreme) cold as well. The batch I got are truly impressive! Been flying them in -25C temperature, and they are doing very well
Surely your LiPolys are not nearly that cold. It was determined years ago that a Lipolys should never be charged past 4.1V if under 50F and it is also fairly well know that LiPoly suffer from winter kill if discharged at high rates while cold.

Batteries which start out warm and are flown inside of a foam plane should stay fairly warm. It would be interesting if you used a IR temp. gun and took before and after flight readings.

A side not perhaps is that batteries with higher IRs generate more heat during discharge and thus self warm better. This is apoint many fail to grasp and why a quality very high C rated LiPoly with very low IR is not always the best choice.

Here is a great example of voltage increase as discharge caused internal heating red discharge line

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=46

340 @ 5A =14.7C
Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jan 23, 2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:58 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snjbird View Post
I now have 4 cycles on my new Hyperion 240, and a 180. So far I feel they are not pulling as hard as the Nana Tech 180s are at 20 cycles. And the mini Aviation 210 is really strong at 15 cycles. But I admit, I don't have the equipment, or the skills to make any definitive claims, just noob observations.
I think I've seen those on ebay.
I may have to try the Mini Aviation lipos for my Beast and Sbach
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:00 AM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
The new Beast 3D is only available in a "Basic" package. So if you got a 3D, that's normal. And since this is not a beginner airplane, most members here will tell you this is a great idea since they already have a collection of chargers and batteries.
I get the approach and like the cost cutting impact it has, the price of this plane for what you get is absolutely great. The issue I think is that the beast charger is $50 if you include both the unit and the wall wart, which is excessive considering it only charges UMX batteries with the goofy connector...

Personally I made a single and dual battery charger cable for my cellpro, but there are folks I know that would love to get into the micro game who are nitro flyers and have none of the prerequisite support gear, and for them it'd be nice to have a non basic load or an addon flight pack that included charger, battery, etc for a reasonable price. If you add up what eflite asks for their UMX charger, wall wart, and battery you are close to $70, making a "BNF" non basic cost to be $210 which is a bit much in my opinion...

Tom
d2tw4all is offline Find More Posts by d2tw4all
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:29 AM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,242 Posts
Quote:
What is difficult for many is taking the time to properly care for their LiPolys.

Charles
care to elaborate.....?
just wondering if I'm my own worst emeny....
gatorb8 is online now Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:41 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
care to elaborate.....?
just wondering if I'm my own worst emeny....
I know that I treat all my batteries like they are free.. I'll go out flying, come home charge them up ready for tomorrow and tomorrow never comes for weeks or months and the batteries just sit there slowly dying.. So I find it would be best to just keep buying the cheaper batteries,, but I don't I buy the cheap ones and the expensive ones..

But I have too many planes and heli's for my own good,, If I only had one of each it would be easier..

Or if I would just do a storage charge when I got home and then charged them up on the day I actually go flying that plane/heli it would be better..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:47 AM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,242 Posts
I just recently went to storage charge on all my 50+ lipos and charging on day of use. Was wondering if there was other charge and usage practices.....

would be nice to have a prioritized list in order of impact, even if it was somewhat subjective
gatorb8 is online now Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:59 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Up to now, I always thought Hyperions was the best, BY FAR, in the cold, but my new Nanotech are easily as good. Sure enough, they have less than 10 cycles so far, so time will tell as well.
Nanotech are the best bang for the dollar. "Hype"rions aren't worth the price imho.. just grab a ton of nanotechs and you really can't go wrong. All lipo batteries are manfacuered in Asia anyways, most of the time from the same factory as well. It's not like hyperion is made in the USA.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:59 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,892 Posts
I have ruined many batteries by NOT store charging. Now I charge the night before without issues. The problem is that you can't tell if your battery is bad by looking at voltage alone. You need to either check the internal resistance or put the battery through the watt meter.

So I store charge on all my lipos, or they only last one season even if I only used the battery just 10 times. Otherwise I get at least 100 cycles or more when they are store charged.
tclaridge is online now Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:00 PM
3D... the only way to fly!
Kissimmee
Joined Apr 2010
336 Posts
Quote:
What is difficult for many is taking the time to properly care for their LiPolys.

I have 2005 vintage TP Pro Lites that still perform great, I also have PP 30,45 and 65 which perform great along with early G3 Hyperions 25,35 and 45C versions not to mention several other brands of LiPolys from 25 to 50C and they all perform well.

Charles

It is easy to care for batteries that never have to perform at their specified performance limits... I have a family of friends who have "years old lipos," but they don't fly 3D, they are pattern flyers, and tail in hover gods.

I break my batteries in, I never store them over 60%, I allow them to cool before charging them, I never leave them in the heat, or extreme cold... But I do kick their a$$ at the flying field! So if it comes down to not flying my batteries in order to properly "care" for them, well then I guess I'm a bad Lipo Daddy

Castle Creations Vertigo 34-24 1800 Trex 500 (3 min 34 sec)

I keep a close watch on my power systems, and battery performance using the log feature of the ICE line of ESCs... This is the graph from that flight, I use an IR temp gun to check the battery temp, and it was 105*F after that flight... Push them to the limit, and they all give you about 100 cycles, the first 60 are a blast, then it's all down hill after that!
snjbird is offline Find More Posts by snjbird