HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:31 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snjbird View Post
Yes time will tell, but I have been playing with lipos in my helis for 5 years, and they don't ever get any stronger, the longer you run them?
Well, lipos have a tendancy to be at their peak only after a few gentle cycles (about 5). Sometime you don't notice the difference at all, but for Hyperions and NanoTech, I've noticed it. The bad news is: from then on (after those 5 first cycles) they definitively do not get any stronger...
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:35 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
Yep the e-flite ones are garbage.
I think that's something we can all agree on. As good as Horizon/E-flite are about listening to customers and fixing issues in new mfg builds, I'm really surprised they continue to ship clearly inferious batteries because it makes their wonderful planes look bad. With such great planes, it really is ashame. They should really be thankful that we in RC Groups are here to tell teir unsatisfied customers about better battery alternatives or their return rates would be much higher.

Just my $0.02...
TexasFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TexasFlyer
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:20 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
It's funny because it's true. I'm assuming they just purchased a huge lot of them and have to get rid of them, or they have signed a contract with a company that makes them for them and can't get out of the contract for some time.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:21 AM
ICU
Check out my Shapeways Shop
Dallas,Tx.
Joined Apr 2007
1,202 Posts
Nice job there Boba. They look really good, especially if they only took you 20 mins to make.

Here's a pick of the adapter I made up. Since my early Walkera days, I don't trust these little power connectors (no matter who makes them). So I switched over to some 0.8mm bullet connectors from HK, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8878.

I'm going to solder up a new connector into my B3D since it's made it thru the first few trial flights and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to have any problems with her.
ICU is offline Find More Posts by ICU
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:45 AM
ISP Supervisor
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2006
722 Posts
Man could you imagine how cool it would be if HH contracted MiniAviaton/Hyperion to make their batts....I'll keep dreamin'
makg is offline Find More Posts by makg
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:49 AM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makg View Post
Man could you imagine how cool it would be if HH contracted MiniAviaton/Hyperion to make their batts....I'll keep dreamin'
Me too. But then what would we complain about?
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:55 AM
ISP Supervisor
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2006
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwRcFlight View Post
Me too. But then what would we complain about?
Wearing out our planes with the top of the line batts of course!
makg is offline Find More Posts by makg
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:15 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,363 Posts
Even if they supplied perfect LiPolys we would still have to figure out the best props. for each model and the best Kv motor for each model also it would appear.

I have never seen or heard of any E flite aircraft coming from them with the best prop. fitted and on top of that they want $3 or more each for a prop that can be replaced with a $0.50 to $0.95 GWS one.
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:27 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
that's a flightmax, not a nano tech
Well at that time they were listed as the best 1S micro Lipolys that HK had available and yes those were the new and improved V2 ones and from a fresh batch which I waited weeks for.

I fully realize that few down here in this are know my history here on RC Groups and some seem to feel that myself and RC Babbel and a few others praise Hyperion way to much but controlled test do not lie and with more bench testing and flight time than most I do have a feel for battery performance.

Besides nano is just a marketing buzz word used by many. Fact is Thunder Power was the first hobby Lipolys to use nano materials and they di d not even advertise nano anything same as they have pioneered many other LiPoly devrelopments and not advertised it. They have a hard enough time keeping others from beating them to market with their new advances anyway.

FYI I have tested HK 45 / 90C 3S Nanotec LiPoly and it was not impressive either and I do have 2S 180 HK nano ordered which will be tested also..

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jan 23, 2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:39 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makg View Post
Simple math.... If they pay more for the batteries, we end up paying more for the airplane. Let say they get a $10 battery at one third of the price because of volume, you'll still likely pay $10 more for your airplane when you buy it.

Remember, what they do is selling a great airplane that will fly in the hand of EVERYBODY and put a grin on their face. But they are also there to make money. Sure enough, you cannot please everybody anyway. Some will want top performance from their airplanes where price is not important, some will want them as cheap as possible. Some want long flying sessions, some want short but very tweaky flight sessions. But most customers will be happy to fly them as they sell them, that's the important part. Customizing to our taste is part of this hobby anyway.
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:30 AM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
1,828 Posts
I'm guessing HH has a price point they sell plane and lipo for, and they maximixe the profit within that price point. They probably make enough profit on one of their cheap lipos as they would selling 10 better lipos......dunno...
gatorb8 is online now Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:38 AM
3D... the only way to fly!
Kissimmee
Joined Apr 2010
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Simple math.... If they pay more for the batteries, we end up paying more for the airplane. Let say they get a $10 battery at one third of the price because of volume, you'll still likely pay $10 more for your airplane when you buy it.

Remember, what they do is selling a great airplane that will fly in the hand of EVERYBODY and put a grin on their face. But they are also there to make money. Sure enough, you cannot please everybody anyway. Some will want top performance from their airplanes where price is not important, some will want them as cheap as possible. Some want long flying sessions, some want short but very tweaky flight sessions. But most customers will be happy to fly them as they sell them, that's the important part. Customizing to our taste is part of this hobby anyway.
Here, here! It has always been part of the fun for me to "make it mine" That is, to take what they sell, and customize it to my taste.

I have tried many batteries in my helis, and my basic findings are, it is hard to get your money out of the higher priced batteries. A battery that sits is a wasted battery. After you "break them in", they only have a limited shelf life, if you keep using them, they work better. If you store them charged, they die sooner. If you keep them in your car in summer, they puff.
The first generation Thunder Power Pro Power 30C batteries SUCKED! The first generation Thunder Power Pro Power 45C SUCKED.

New findings... Airplanes are way easier on LiPos than helis... So I hope this translates to longer battery life!
snjbird is offline Find More Posts by snjbird
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:44 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,363 Posts
Quote:
I'm guessing HH has a price point they sell plane and lipo for

Well I wish they would sell all of thier planes without a charger or LiPoly and save us experienced modelers the expense of purchasing subperforming stuff which just gets set on a shelf or given away.

Charles
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:46 AM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
1,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Well I wish they would sell all of thier planes without a charger or LiPoly and save us experienced modelers the expense of purchasing subperforming stuff which just gets set on a shelf or given away.

Charles
x2! B3D with no lipo no charger no Tx was perfect!
gatorb8 is online now Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:51 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,363 Posts
Quote:
I have tried many batteries in my helis, and my basic findings are, it is hard to get your money out of the higher priced batteries.
What is difficult for many is taking the time to properly care for their LiPolys.

I have 2005 vintage TP Pro Lites that still perform great, I also have PP 30,45 and 65 which perform great along with early G3 Hyperions 25,35 and 45C versions not to mention several other brands of LiPolys from 25 to 50C and they all perform well.

Charles