HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:38 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
I can't speak for the B3D, but for the v1 Beast hyperions are not required. The turnigy nano-tech 160s do a pretty good job and it's hard to notice the difference.

Don't get hung up on hyperions.. it's a lot of "hype." It's better to buy 50 batteries at $1 each than 10 batteries at $5 each.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:59 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
I can't speak for the B3D, but for the v1 Beast hyperions are not required. The turnigy nano-tech 160s do a pretty good job and it's hard to notice the difference.

Don't get hung up on hyperions.. it's a lot of "hype." It's better to buy 50 batteries at $1 each than 10 batteries at $5 each.
Regarding th v1, with the stock prop, maybe. But with the 5043, DEFINITELY untrue. I'd rather have 10 batteries that give me sparkling performance than 50 that give me mush. It's as clear as night and day. Verticals go from barely, mushy, weak with the stock prop and stock battery to aggressive boring holes in the sky, supporting fast rolls as far as you can see with the 5043 and Hyperions. It's all what you're looking for.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:15 PM
fly-crash-fix
UK, Powys, Newtown
Joined Jan 2010
519 Posts
Well i put an order in for 10 turnigy 160`s earlier today so that`s what i`ll use for now and as i`ll just be taking it easy for a while i reckon they`ll be fine, seems a lot of others are using them too.
Plus i can charge them with my existing leads without paying 6 odd pounds for yet another charge lead
Dr.Crashenburn is offline Find More Posts by Dr.Crashenburn
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:19 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post

That has not been my experience. Hyperions are a clear performance boost. I like my UM's much better after I started using them. I've tried the Hobbycity UM batteries and I have a lot of them sitting around unused. The larger Hobbycity batteries work great for me though.
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:21 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Regarding th v1, with the stock prop, maybe. But with the 5043, DEFINITELY untrue. I'd rather have 10 batteries that give me sparkling performance than 50 that give me mush. It's as clear as night and day. Verticals go from barely, mushy, weak with the stock prop and stock battery to aggressive boring holes in the sky, supporting fast rolls as far as you can see with the 5043 and Hyperions. It's all what you're looking for.
I use the 5043 with turnigy nano techs and it's fine. Actually the hyperions are mush compared to the nano techs and they all have about the same amount of flights. Maybe I ran the hyperions harder than the nano-techs? not sure.. could be the case.

The hyperions seem to last a bit longer though. The nano techs will start to fall off around the 3 min mark.

Again, 50 batteries vs 10... if you aren't a pro or semi-pro, the choice is obvious for the most stick time.

This is based on v1 Beast, not B3D... B3D may be a total other ball park.. no idea about that one.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:31 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
Quote:
Actually the hyperions are mush compared to the nano techs and they all have about the same amount of flights.
The only logical reason I can see for this would be the fact that hyperions maintain higher voltage longer during discharge and thus are easier to overdischarge than some others.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1565033

No Nanos tested there but I have tested some in the past and was not impressed. I will test the 180 HK nanos if they ever ship them.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 22, 2012, 05:16 PM
fly-crash-fix
UK, Powys, Newtown
Joined Jan 2010
519 Posts
I bought the b3d and after reading more it appears they need more power so it looks like i`ll have to buy better batts after all. And charge leads

Good job i don`t add up everything i spend on this hobby...might send send me over the edge...wibble
Dr.Crashenburn is offline Find More Posts by Dr.Crashenburn
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:41 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,734 Posts
I bought Hyperion 180 single cells and using Joel (Turboparkers) example soldered my own home made 2 cell packs up and they work AMAZINGLY well on my V1 Beast. VERY noticeable improvement over the Stock Eflite lipo.

I have not tried the Nano's yet, and must say, I picked up 1 for my mCPX heli (single cell) and was impressed with the improvement over my stock Eflite lipos, so maybe it will be good.

I can say without hesitation the Hyperions are great lipos, and the V1 Beast (which is less power hungry) on GWS 5030 prop has unlimited vertical, can hover (within the skills of the pilot) and pull out vertical from the same, throughout the entire duration of my 6 min flights.

Just took some low and slow video and will try to edit it up and post a link soon. Nothing near as nice flying as RG or Joel, but WAYYYY too much fun. CG was way back and it sure does help with harrier and hover, but kinda makes standard flying and KE harder!

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:46 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Yep the e-flite ones are garbage.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 07:49 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
1S Hyp. 120 and HK Nano 138 compared

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=21
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:28 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
1S Hyp. 120 and HK Nano 138 compared

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=21
that's a flightmax, not a nano tech
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:43 PM
3D... the only way to fly!
Kissimmee
Joined Apr 2010
336 Posts
I now have 4 cycles on my new Hyperion 240, and a 180. So far I feel they are not pulling as hard as the Nana Tech 180s are at 20 cycles. And the mini Aviation 210 is really strong at 15 cycles. But I admit, I don't have the equipment, or the skills to make any definitive claims, just noob observations.
snjbird is offline Find More Posts by snjbird
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:51 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snjbird View Post
I now have 4 cycles on my new Hyperion 240, and a 180. So far I feel they are not pulling as hard as the Nana Tech 180s are at 20 cycles. And the mini Aviation 210 is really strong at 15 cycles. But I admit, I don't have the equipment, or the skills to make any definitive claims, just noob observations.
At only 4 cycles, those Hyperions are not even broken yet.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:28 PM
3D... the only way to fly!
Kissimmee
Joined Apr 2010
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
At only 4 cycles, those Hyperions are not even broken yet.

Yes time will tell, but I have been playing with lipos in my helis for 5 years, and they don't ever get any stronger, the longer you run them?
snjbird is offline Find More Posts by snjbird
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:25 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snjbird View Post
Yes time will tell, but I have been playing with lipos in my helis for 5 years, and they don't ever get any stronger, the longer you run them?
Hyperions typically get stronger for the first 50-70 cycles, and then stabilize for the next couple hundred cycles or so.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member