SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 19, 2012, 07:44 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Thank you all for telling me about not using expo! Right now, flying sessions are only about once a week because of the high winds, so now I have one less thing to experiment with (or worry about): expo! I trust you fully, so I won't have to spend my precious little flying time experimenting with expo "just in case"...

Looking forward for my next flying session with 0 expo! Windfinder is optimistic, so maybe this weekend! Yeah!

Edit: Just saw Turnerm comment.... NOOOOOO I don't want to experiment with negative expo! I'll leave that to you guys!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2012, 07:46 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I wonder what negative expo would to the 3D Beast?
On my Futaba, negative expo makes the plane mellower around center-stick. (We Futaba & HiTec pilots have that opposite expo thing going, ya know....)

In your case, it would make the plane more sensitive around center. It may be possible to dial-out the programmed-in expo - provided that the curves are similar.

BTW - I'll be flying my first quad tomorrow! Picking up an mQX at my LHS after work!

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2012, 07:56 PM
ICU
Check out my Shapeways Shop
Dallas,Tx.
Joined Apr 2007
1,202 Posts
NwRcFlight,

My maiden and 2nd flight were with the E-flight 2s 180. But the following flights were with some home-rolled Hyp 240's. I did immediately notice the power difference with the Hyp's, I might of had some pullout power in the first minute or two but didn't try any hovers at that time. I was having too much fun doing easy peasy field long KE passes.

The power was nothing like the V1 Beast w/5043 and Hyp 2s 240's. With that combo I had unlimited vertical all the way up to my 7 min timer. I usually just keep the E-flight batteries as spares, but rarely fly them in the Beast or Sbach.

I know the B3D is a little heavier than the V1, but it felt like I had a lot more power with the V1 motor. I'm going to swap it out and see how it goes Sat.
ICU is offline Find More Posts by ICU
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:33 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post

BTW - I'll be flying my first quad tomorrow! Picking up an mQX at my LHS after work!

Joel
That thing intrigues me. Looks like a flying crab!! Let me know what you think once you fly it!
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Aug 2006
884 Posts
asdf
fdsa
Vegas_flyer is offline Find More Posts by Vegas_flyer
Last edited by Vegas_flyer; Jan 20, 2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:56 AM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICU View Post
NwRcFlight,

My maiden and 2nd flight were with the E-flight 2s 180. But the following flights were with some home-rolled Hyp 240's. I did immediately notice the power difference with the Hyp's, I might of had some pullout power in the first minute or two but didn't try any hovers at that time. I was having too much fun doing easy peasy field long KE passes.

The power was nothing like the V1 Beast w/5043 and Hyp 2s 240's. With that combo I had unlimited vertical all the way up to my 7 min timer. I usually just keep the E-flight batteries as spares, but rarely fly them in the Beast or Sbach.

I know the B3D is a little heavier than the V1, but it felt like I had a lot more power with the V1 motor. I'm going to swap it out and see how it goes Sat.
Great. Just thought I'd share what happened to me. My Eflite 180's work great in the V1 Beast but won't power the V2 Beast I had. I just got 7 Hyperion packs but now have no Beast 3D! I'm thinking I'll just stick with the V1 Beast and fly it with the Hyperions. I want that Mig instead of another Beast!
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Jan 20, 2012, 06:36 AM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post

Joel
I think that you will like it. Kind of like a cross between a heli and a plane. It's very fun!
humveeflyer is offline Find More Posts by humveeflyer
Old Jan 20, 2012, 06:53 AM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
Actually it's really not too hard to cut your own custom PCB with a bit of knowledge on the process. Sure, it takes some tools and know how, but as long as you get someone to design the schematics on Eagle or something and you can print it out on a transparency, then the rest is rather simple.
I self taught myself Eagle PCB a while back, a board layout like this would be absolutely trivial to layout.

Tom
d2tw4all is offline Find More Posts by d2tw4all
Old Jan 20, 2012, 06:55 AM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
PCBs like the one I've shown above can be made with tape, and a plastic pan, in your house!! Ask how I know!
You don't even need tape, a sharpie will do.
d2tw4all is offline Find More Posts by d2tw4all
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:44 AM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,436 Posts
oops! posted in wrong thread before coffee kicked in!
sorry!
gatorb8 is offline Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by gatorb8; Jan 20, 2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:01 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,544 Posts
[deleted]
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Last edited by pugsam; Jan 20, 2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:52 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Lol the above two posts were pre-coffee posts.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:41 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
Lol the above two posts were pre-coffee posts.
Mine was Postus-Interruptus!!!

I'd shared brilliant, insightful and incredibly humorous information in response to gator's post.

But then -- he withdrew his post!

That left my totally awesome stuff hanging out there in the breeze, like a GeeBee flying over a rooftop after LVC, without any predicate or raison d'etre.

Maybe someday I'll try sharing it again.....

So there.........

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:37 PM
United States, NC, Pilot Mountain
Joined Oct 2011
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICU View Post
NwRcFlight,

I have never flown a V1 but me and V2 got a lot more comfortable with each other today. Forth or fifth flight and the pucker factor has been reduced quite a bit.

But not completely,,, I was flying inverted and, for some reason, got skeered, went hard down but didn't think to raise the throttle. It pointed straight up but began falling nearly straight down. It didn't fall far 'til I hit the throttle and it shot up pretty impressively, IM(somewhat inexperienced)O. This was with a pair or 1S Hyperion 240s and a series adapter.

Learned three things so far:
1 - 70% rates is too low
2 - It seems that hard throttle will get you our of trouble better throttling down. However, I can also see that if it can't be saved, this method could make the damage much worse.
3 - Zero throttle landings are not smooth. Probably the same on the T-28 but I always belly land it.

Fun plane, I just gotta get used to the fact that it seems to do things just before I have completely made the decision to do them. It also uses up airspace in a hurry!!
Ikankrachuhmoll is offline Find More Posts by Ikankrachuhmoll
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:27 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
That thing intrigues me. Looks like a flying crab!! Let me know what you think once you fly it!
Turnerm,

I love this little quad! Reasonably fast, very maneuverable, yet nearly as stable as a coaxial heli. See my maiden & mini-review here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=714

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member