to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:01 AM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Tom,

It will work, but it won't be fun to fly at all. In fact, it may not even be safe - if you're talking about the toy-grade transmitters that come with the Champ, etc. First off, the toy transmitters are not full-range. The factory specs them for 300-foot range. They were never intended to be used with planes that fly as fast or as far away as these planes fly. Get more than a few hundred feet away, and all bets are off. At these speeds, it takes less than 6 seconds to cover 300 feet. Secondly, the resolution of the toy transmitters is very poor. The plane supports 1024-step resolution, but the toy transmitters have much lower resolution - which means that the control movements will be much coarser than they would be with, say, a DX5e or DX6i. With a responsive plane, coarse control movements are a bad thing. I highly recommend reconsidering your choice of transmitter.

Joel
Guys, totally get that a better tx is the ultimate way to go, I have a dx6i myself. In this case, my grandmother wants to surprise my uncle, who flies big scale RC, with a B3d, but he doesn't have ANY DSMX tech, everything he has is old school FM, nor does he have any lipo charging, so the beast 3d plus battery, plus charger, is already getting more than she wants to spend, let alone layering on a more expensive tx. I figured I'd give him the cheapie just so he can try it out and hopefully it will compel him to upgrade his tx to a dsmx module, or get a spektrum box. Ultimately if it's not going to work she just won't get him the plane. So given more back story, what do you think?

Tom
d2tw4all is offline Find More Posts by d2tw4all
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:29 AM
Joined Nov 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Storm, when in dual ail the gyro only operates the right aileron.
Oh yes, I know. What I'd like to know is if it compensates for the loss of control surface or if you end up getting just half the corrections.
storm2k5 is offline Find More Posts by storm2k5
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:49 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,732 Posts
It should move the correcting (gyro controlled) control surface as much as required (up to servo trael limits) to correct the planes attitude.

I would try it on the ground first. Remove the prop for safety or use Throttle lock if you have it programmed.. Most planes can be flown by an experienced pilot with one alieron not working at all .

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:51 AM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,413 Posts
why not try DX4? it is full range and has expo
I've seen those given away free cause they were same price for RTF on mcpx for a while
I set mine up as a buddy box to my DX8 but haven't flown it yet
gatorb8 is online now Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:31 AM
Joined Nov 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
It should move the correcting (gyro controlled) control surface as much as required (up to servo trael limits) to correct the planes attitude.

I would try it on the ground first. Remove the prop for safety or use Throttle lock if you have it programmed.. Most planes can be flown by an experienced pilot with one alieron not working at all .

Charles
Yes I know (I even had a plane that only had one aileron by design )
I tested this on the ground and it seemed as if the control surface corrects the same amount as it would with 2 surfaces, so in other words I believe it will correct less (pretty much like you would half the gyro gain)
storm2k5 is offline Find More Posts by storm2k5
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:27 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
ele,

Been using 2) of these inexpensive units almost daily, for over two years now.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=7028

rc
okay cool thanks. how about the thunder ac6 from hobbypartz? it comes with an AC power supply.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
although, the only thing im worried about most is the connector. im still trying to look for an adapter that i can use with one of the cheaper chargers. i would also be fine with just the regular celectra 2s charger + AC adapter since im only going to be in the micro scene of rc.
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
Last edited by electricrc68; Jan 18, 2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:55 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
why not try DX4? it is full range and has expo
I've seen those given away free cause they were same price for RTF on mcpx for a while
I set mine up as a buddy box to my DX8 but haven't flown it yet
or dx5
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:58 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
okay cool thanks. how about the thunder ac6 from hobbypartz? it comes with an AC power supply.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
although, the only thing im worried about most is the connector. im still trying to look for an adapter that i can use with one of the cheaper chargers. i would also be fine with just the regular celectra 2s charger + AC adapter since im only going to be in the micro scene of rc.
It appears that the AC6 uses 'XH'-style balance connectors. Find out for sure - then talk to Glenn at RC-Connectors.com. He'll make a charge-adapter harness to match.

Alternatively, HH sells a charge-adapter harness that fits 'XH'-style balance-boards: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-efl-EFLA700UM

The #1 cause of early LiPo failure is over-discharge. With the aftermarket charger, you can quit guessing when your packs are discharged to 80%. You will be able to measure how many mAh it takes to recharge, and then set your flight-timer so that you always land at or before the 80% discharge point. This will maximize the performance & lifespan of your packs, which means the charger will pay for itself in a short period of time if you fly regularly. Also - modern, high-quality LiPo packs can be charged at 5c or higher without any reduction in performance or lifespan. At 5c, it only takes 12-15 minutes to recharge from the 80% discharge point. The stock charger only charges a 180 mAh pack at 1c - which takes nearly an hour. Charging a 240 pack with the stock charger takes considerably longer.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 18, 2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:56 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,230 Posts
I'm selling my V1 if anybody is interested.
Listed here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1576874
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kuczy; Jan 18, 2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
It appears that the AC6 uses 'XH'-style balance connectors. Find out for sure - then talk to Glenn at RC-Connectors.com. He'll make a charge-adapter harness to match.

Alternatively, HH sells a charge-adapter harness that fits 'XH'-style balance-boards: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-efl-EFLA700UM

The #1 cause of early LiPo failure is over-discharge. With the aftermarket charger, you can quit guessing when your packs are discharged to 80%. You will be able to measure how many mAh it takes to recharge, and then set your flight-timer so that you always land at or before the 80% discharge point. This will maximize the performance & lifespan of your packs, which means the charger will pay for itself in a short period of time if you fly regularly. Also - modern, high-quality LiPo packs can be charged at 5c or higher without any reduction in performance or lifespan. At 5c, it only takes 12-15 minutes to recharge from the 80% discharge point. The stock charger only charges a 180 mAh pack at 1c - which takes nearly an hour. Charging a 240 pack with the stock charger takes considerably longer.

Joel
okay cool thanks. so that adapter should work with the AC6? thanks for the lipo info too.....but im still a little worried about using these 2s packs. i have only used 1s packs before and im worried about messing something up (incorrect charge setting, incorrect storage, etc.) and causing a fire.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 04:43 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,732 Posts
Quote:
although, the only thing im worried about most is the connector. im still trying to look for an adapter that i can use with one of the cheaper chargers.
Any charger that uses standard banana outputs and JST-XH balancing connection will work with

http://www.progressiverc.com/jst-ph-...beast-umx.html

Set charger to 2S (7.4V) and proper charge rate.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 18, 2012, 05:16 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,025 Posts
Quote:
okay cool thanks. so that adapter should work with the AC6? thanks for the lipo info too.....but im still a little worried about using these 2s packs. i have only used 1s packs before and im worried about messing something up (incorrect charge setting, incorrect storage, etc.) and causing a fire.
It'll be fine. these are still tiny packs. worry about a 6s 5000, not a 2s 240
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Jan 18, 2012, 06:02 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
It'll be fine. these are still tiny packs. worry about a 6s 5000, not a 2s 240
okay thanks. good to know that they aren't too big. theres no way that im ever going to be going near a 6s pack.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:16 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,025 Posts
Quote:
okay thanks. good to know that they aren't too big. theres no way that im ever going to be going near a 6s pack.
I mean don't take them for granted, and do make sure to double check the charge settings, but they probably wont catch fire, maybe smoke a bit at absolute worst.
On a different note it might be worth trying to find a parallel charging cable or board for these batteries, then you can charge a few of them at once.
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag