HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:17 PM
You torquing to me?
Vancouver, WA
Joined Mar 2010
610 Posts
Hey I know its not recommended but would it be a hand-full to fly on the DX5e??? I dont have to money to buy both the beast and the dx6i.
slyfoxflyer66 is offline Find More Posts by slyfoxflyer66
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:20 PM
USA, NY, Bayville
Joined Feb 2010
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfoxflyer66 View Post
Hey I know its not recommended but would it be a hand-full to fly on the DX5e??? I dont have to money to buy both the beast and the dx6i.
I've been wondering the same thing. If its flyable its mine
inewitt is offline Find More Posts by inewitt
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:32 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,652 Posts
I would say you are liikely to lawn dart it, Get a second hand DX6i for $100, they are getting cheaper since the release of the DX8. I would highly suggest not to use the 5e, and IMO if you are only flying with a 5e at the moment, this plane isn't for you. Don't want to put you off but like quinqe said, it's for intermediate to advanced flyers, Wou will need dual rates to tame it down to make landings easier. Without Expoo i think this bird will be way to twitchy to fly well.
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:37 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeeddud View Post
lol, check out the original sukhoi promo video when it came out-flew very nice in there, but why didnt it flew so nice when we got it? hmmm
I've seen it before and just watched it again, I wasn't impressed then and still am not. What I see is a really good pilot struggling to make the Sukhoi look like it can fly 3D. Watch the video very closely and you'll see a lot of wing rock in knife that is being adjusted for by a pilot who is quick on the sticks. Also much of the aerobatics shown in that video look like "throw the sticks around and hope for the best". This contrasts in a big way with the "on rails" flying in the Beast video, and it should also be noted that the Beast is flying outdoors whereas the Sukhoi clip is indoors. But you are correct in saying that we really don't know if the production model will fly this well, time will tell

EDIT TO ADD: Just to be clear, I'm not saying the Sukhoi is a bad plane at all. It looks like an excellent small field sport flyer. I'm just saying it's no 3D or pattern machine and never should have been advertised as such.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Last edited by Tres Wright; Aug 19, 2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:38 PM
Joined Jun 2010
163 Posts
I flew the original sukhoi with full throws on the MCX controller for the first 50 flights or so. Definitely crashed it a few times as I learned, but got pretty good. Its less you flying and more you trying not to crash tho, unless you get really high up there.

With the DX5e i'd stick with something you'd be less sad to crash (original sukhoi or XP or t28 or p51 maybe) until you can pony up and get a DX6i.

Its not impossible, just greatly increases the likelihood of a bad crash, unless you are REALLY good.
cloakscott is offline Find More Posts by cloakscott
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:43 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,508 Posts
this thing is intense to say the least!
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:49 PM
USA, CO, Pueblo
Joined Nov 2009
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfoxflyer66 View Post
Sorry, it will only bind with the dx8.... hehe j/k They recommend a transmitter with Dual Rates or Expo.
tonebone is offline Find More Posts by tonebone
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:58 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post
I'm just saying it's no 3D or pattern machine and never should have been advertised as such.
It wasn't advertised as such, so it shouldn't look anything like the Beast, which, as you said, it doesn't. Just my two cents. I'm not trying to argue; I just wanted to throw it out there...(sort of like the Sukhoi pilot did when he found that he had to fly 3D in a gym with a Su-26m).
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Aug 19, 2010, 04:08 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,415 Posts
Would not mind if they would come out with a PNP version like the 4-Site too...

May I remind you:
4-Site
BNF: $169
PNP: $109

Beast:
BNF: $169
PNP: ??????????

I already have about 4 or 5 chargers for 2S batteries, so I don't need another one. I don't mind NOT getting a 120mah battery with it since as everybody is saying, we will likely buy a lot of batteries anyway, but most likely from other sources

Eflite, give me a PNP like the 4-Site pleaaaaaaaaaaaase?
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 19, 2010, 04:10 PM
Joined Aug 2008
567 Posts
So you think that the 180 motor will be the new UM norm? Do you think they will make a 120 size BL motor for smaller UMX planes? Also, is the motor in the UMX beast the exact same as the eflite 180?
helidude22 is offline Find More Posts by helidude22
Old Aug 19, 2010, 04:11 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
I'm doubting they will PNP or RTF the Beast.. If they did, with what? A Dx6I is the minimum radio they have to fulfill what they already recommend for it! It would be $300 RTF in a package like that!

Also, updated the first post, with videos and links that have come forward today, thanks for those who posted them!

~Kev

Update: One of the videos announces no RTF version, only BNF!
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede
Old Aug 19, 2010, 04:11 PM
USA, CO, Pueblo
Joined Nov 2009
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helidude22 View Post
So you think that the 180 will be the new UM norm? Do you think they will make a 120 size BL motor for smaller UM planes? Also, is the motor in the UMX beast the exact same as the eflite 180?
According to the Podcast its a redesigned 180.
tonebone is offline Find More Posts by tonebone
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2010, 04:15 PM
Joined Sep 2009
3,652 Posts
Fingers crossed for a PNP, i already have brought an advanced charger, i don't need annother, and have my own 2s 240mah 20c batteries. I want PNP!
Old Aug 19, 2010, 04:24 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperCub49 View Post
It wasn't advertised as such, so it shouldn't look anything like the Beast, which, as you said, it doesn't. Just my two cents. I'm not trying to argue; I just wanted to throw it out there...(sort of like the Sukhoi pilot did when he found that he had to fly 3D in a gym with a Su-26m).
They advertise it on their web site as delivering "impressive precision aerobatic performance" and also identify it as a Mike McConville design which, at least to me, implies it is an E-TOC capable (maneuver-wise) 3D bird. I haven't seen any video that makes me believe it's precise, quite the opposite in fact. I was still going to get one for playing with in the backyard... until I saw this thread
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Aug 19, 2010, 04:27 PM
Joined Sep 2009
3,652 Posts
Just had word that it will be available as BNF only. This might put me off a bit.