Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:17 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
....I was only hovering waste high.....
turnerm, I think you've invented an awesome new descriptive phrase for the aviation lexicon!

Waste high!

That says it all.........

(Please understand that this comment comes from a notorious high-impact flyer....)
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:03 PM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatapass View Post
need a prop adapter to put a gws 5030? and what spinner should I take for gws 5030 on hobbyking?

thank you for the best forum in the world of modeling.

a small French who learns RC Models.
Welcome! No prop adapter needed to use a GWS 5030, it mounts the same as the stock prop. Just glue the stock spinner back on.
RemE is online now Find More Posts by RemE
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:03 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatapass View Post
need a prop adapter to put a gws 5030? and what spinner should I take for gws 5030 on hobbyking?

thank you for the best forum in the world of modeling.

a small French who learns RC Models.
The 5030 is a perfect fit on the Beast prop adapter, so no need for another one. You can also use the same spinner, but need to carve it a little bit.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:27 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Apr 2006
1,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
turnerm, I think you've invented an awesome new descriptive phrase for the aviation lexicon!

Waste high!

(Please understand that this comment comes from a notorious high-impact flyer....)
Check the price of gas back then in that pic
flynfrfun is offline Find More Posts by flynfrfun
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:40 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
A "nice" -25C (-13F) today. Not much wind, around 13km/h (8mph) with some gusts. I was about to give up, but looking outside, I saw a Blue Jay eating from one of my bird feeder!!! So I though, if that little guy can fly in that kind of temperature (and hold-on to a metalic feeder, bare footed!), I'm a wimp if I don't go fly my Beast. (Remember, just got mine, so still looking for more flying days!)

Well, thank you Blue Jay, I had an awesome day. (P.S.: Before I went flying, I gave him an extra ration of nuts which were all gone when I came back... I'm sure he appreciated the unfrozen food)

Highlights of the days:
- Most of my landings were basically all in the same spot, while being almost vertical landings. (about 2 or 3 feet rolling top)
- The Beast is truly a KE machine!!! Even did some stationary KEs.
- At that temperature, I can confirm that the gyros are still working fine!! Good work HH
- I flew over some snowmobiles I was sharing my empty field with! (basically, just to say I did that... Not something you texans are about to do! )
- Despite the low temperature and the wind, I still had tons of fun.

Negatives:
- Could not really try hovering, still looking for a windless day. Manage to lock a few, but the wind was strong enough to carry it away from me rapidly and I could not "cheat" it to keep it in place.
- My Hyperions are dying!!! They were ok last time (wasn't as cold though), but today, I could only fly one minute with them. (Not a big deal, they are getting old, but now, I really have to get some more...) On the other side, I can confirm that the nano-tech are REALLY good in the cold when new (mine still have less than 10 cycles each). I had my timer for 4 minutes, and they all did that with a smile! That's not going full throttle, but in that kind of cold, that's usually a bad thing. Full throttle is your friend to keep the battery warm. The soft wiring stayed soft on the NanoTech too, that's another plus for them as you have to plug and unplug them with your cold fingers.
- I was dressed warm, but I had bad winter boots. Big mistake! Won't happen next time.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:41 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
hyperions are horrible in the cold.

nano-techs are much much better in cold places.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:07 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post

Waste high!

Bwah ha ha ha ha!!! Funny! OK... WAIST high. Believe it or not I'm highly edumucated.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:11 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
Hopefully she flies straight and true again for you. Make some more vids!
Post-crash (from "waste" high ) flight check... She seems to fly as good as always. And it was rather windy - probably in the 7-10mph range blowing from right to left (in the video orientation)

3D Beast - Post Crash Test Flight (6 min 17 sec)
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:38 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
I always push the right stick forward when I fall out of hover down low. If it's inverted, it will push back to vertical. If it's upright, it will push into a level flight attitude. torque rolls can be a bit trickier, but that works fine for harriers.
MR2

I appreciate the tip!
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jan 15, 2012, 06:32 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
hyperions are horrible in the cold.

nano-techs are much much better in cold places.
Well, so far my Hyperions have been really good in the cold. Nothing even came close until those NanoTech came out. I'll be getting new Hyperions soon, so should be able to compare apples with apples. But somehow, I think I would still put my money on the Hyperions over the NanoTech. I truly tested the NanoTech today though, but again, they are new and their internal resistance is still very low. It will be fun to do the same cold test when they have over 50 cycles...
Old Jan 15, 2012, 06:34 PM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfrfun View Post
Even then, that was some of the most expensive gas in the country. Stupid Cook County Taxes!
MR2
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:50 AM
ISP Supervisor
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2006
728 Posts
Hey guys, does the Beast 3D have the same port that the original Beast had so I could use SF Solutions lights (from the V1) on the V2?
makg is offline Find More Posts by makg
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:24 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Turnerm.. I haven't tried the Beast 3D yet so I'm looking at your video in amazement. There's no way some of that stuff could be done with the v1 Beast without a godly amount of skill, which obviously you do have though. The only time I ever saw a rolling harrier done with ease with the v1 Beast was with tominator. The beast is just so twitchy that in order to pull this sort of stuff off it takes quite a bit of patience and skill. The hovers and torque rolls were great, the control you had in KE and the other moves were also very nice. Keep it up.

Have you ever thought about doing precision aerobatics circuit instead of 3D stuff? I think your skills would translate nicely using the Beast 3D to precision aerobatics.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:21 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Turnerm.. I haven't tried the Beast 3D yet so I'm looking at your video in amazement. There's no way some of that stuff could be done with the v1 Beast without a godly amount of skill, which obviously you do have though. The only time I ever saw a rolling harrier done with ease with the v1 Beast was with tominator. The beast is just so twitchy that in order to pull this sort of stuff off it takes quite a bit of patience and skill. The hovers and torque rolls were great, the control you had in KE and the other moves were also very nice. Keep it up.

Have you ever thought about doing precision aerobatics circuit instead of 3D stuff? I think your skills would translate nicely using the Beast 3D to precision aerobatics.
Thanks for the kind words. The gyro in the 3D Beast really helps some of these maneuvers look smooth so I'll attribute most of the credit to the plane itself!

I need to break out my V1 Beast and see if I can do rolling harriers with it. I'm sure I can - just need to reduce the rates a touch. Tominator is the king of rollers - he's been doing them for quite a while and he's always been good at them. It took me a while to learn them but once I figured them out on my bigger planes it translated very easily to the Beast.

As for precision aerobatics... I've been tinkering with it some now that I'm getting more comfortable with basic 3D. For instance - I've been working on slow rolls a little here and there. I need to read up on some of the sequences and see what I can figure out. But the short answer is that I enjoy any sort of flying to be honest. RC flying is like golf to me. It's a hobby in which you're constantly challenging yourself to perform better and better.

Again - thanks for the kind words! I appreciate it! I'm going to load another video up later today. I went flying this morning and did nearly a whole battery pack of nothing but KE Loops with a few hovers and rolling harriers thrown in for good measure. I forgot how fun KE loops can be - I used to do them ALL THE TIME with my V1.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:20 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfrfun View Post
lol
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface