HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2012, 03:51 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
Ok, since I have the plane with no batteries and RCconnectors is closed down for the week, I am going to make a connector. What do you think of this scenario:
Buy an eflite 180, cut off the connector, use the connector to make a JST (F) adapter, put a (M) JST connector on the e-flite battery and then buy 240 hyperions with JST (M) already installed.
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:19 PM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scb28 View Post
The batteries I use are: Flight Max 180mah 2s 15c w/ bec connector, 6min flight time of mixed flying. TP 240mah 2s 20c w/ bec connector, ? flight time. I got tired of flying and landed, but I guess maybe 8min. Use "RCConnectors" adapter to make battery work. Using GWS 5030 prop(5x3).

My 2cents, scb28
Thanks. So the 240s aren't too heavy for this plane, and they fit?

I guess I could also ask what brands are available and used successfully?

I am aware of Hyperions, TP, Turnigy, and Eflite (of course). I'm not familiar with Flight Max. Last I followed Turnigy they weren't good and had a short life. Not sure if that has changed? I know Eflite aren't good and TP are expensive. I have a few hyperions for my other planes and while I don't like their larger batteries I think the micros are a good value/performance.

Per an earlier comment. I'd like to fly this like other 3D planes. Slow, fast, hovering, etc.
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
Thanks. So the 240s aren't too heavy for this plane, and they fit?

I guess I could also ask what brands are available and used successfully?

I am aware of Hyperions, TP, Turnigy, and Eflite (of course). I'm not familiar with Flight Max. Last I followed Turnigy they weren't good and had a short life. Not sure if that has changed? I know Eflite aren't good and TP are expensive. I have a few hyperions for my other planes and while I don't like their larger batteries I think the micros are a good value/performance.

Per an earlier comment. I'd like to fly this like other 3D planes. Slow, fast, hovering, etc.

My LHS carries both 180 and 240 hyperions. They are virtually the same size. I haven't flown it yet, but I would think the 240 (or even slightly larger) would be fine for sport or pattern flying. I an not sure about 3D flight. My suggestion is to have one of each battery and find out what works for you. I never have flown 3D before, so I have no say. I will try to learn 3D though, MAYBE.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:39 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
Some battery published weights:
E-flite 180mah 13.0g*
Hyp 180mah 13.55g*
Hyp 240mah 16.0g*
TP 250mah 17.0g*
TP 350mah 22.0g*
Sky Lipo 2s 20C 350mah 25.8g

*2s 25C
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:43 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
So far, in my 3D Beast I've ONLY used Hyperion 240 BabbelBats. It 3D's just fine with these batteries. Once I moved over my V1 motor with a 5043 prop to my 3D Beast I was very happy. I have nearly unlimited vertical with this setup and I'm sure if I used 180's that I'd have unlimited vertical.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 11, 2012, 06:27 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
good to know! So it is probably safe to sport fly with a 350 then.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 06:56 PM
Canada, ON, Calabogie
Joined May 2011
261 Posts
Connectors

I got my Beast 3D as a Xmas gift and don't have any batteries or a charger made for the stock batteries.
I do have 240 and 180 Hyperion 1S flatpacks and an Accucel AC6 charger. I also have these 2S JST-XH Extensions which I can cut for male and female JST-XH connectors, JST Male connectors and some JST Female connectors.

I'm just working on converting a T28 Trojan and a Sukhoi 26XP to a 2S brushless setup. So I wanted a 2S connector that would work on all three planes.

My plan was to use 2 240(or 180) mah Hyperion 1S flat packs, cut the leads and wire them in series on a 2S male JST-XH connector to make a 2S battery. I've made a connector for charging on my AC6 that has a male 2 pin JST male connector for the charge lead, a male JST-XH connector for the balance lead and a female JST-XH connector for the battery.

I'm going to replace the stock connector on the Beast 3D and replace it with a 2S JST-XH Female connector and do the same on the T28 and XP that have been converted to 2S Brushless.

I'm looking for pros and cons. Any comments would be appreciated.
Turboparker(Joel) - Any thoughts
msdumo is offline Find More Posts by msdumo
Old Jan 11, 2012, 06:57 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessswind View Post
Ok, since I have the plane with no batteries and RCconnectors is closed down for the week, I am going to make a connector. What do you think of this scenario:
Buy an eflite 180, cut off the connector, use the connector to make a JST (F) adapter, put a (M) JST connector on the e-flite battery and then buy 240 hyperions with JST (M) already installed.
Why not buying the Hyperions with the UMX connectors?
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:11 PM
Canada, ON, Calabogie
Joined May 2011
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
I can't get the male or the female connectors that come with the Beast 3D or the batteries.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:56 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Msdumo,

That should work. Might be a bit heavier than going with the Beast's JST PH connectors, though.

Restlesswind,

If you can't wait for RC Connectors to reopen, here are a couple of alternate sources for the battery pigtail with the JST PH female connector. Re-arrange the wires & you're all set for making your own plug & play packs:

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8733

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/117

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 11, 2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:35 PM
Canada, ON, Calabogie
Joined May 2011
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
If you can't wait for RC Connectors to reopen, here are a couple of alternate sources for the battery pigtail with the JST PH female connector. Re-arrange the wires & you're all set for making your own plug & play packs:

Joel
You are very enterprising Joel. Thanks

I have already made up my charging cable and will probably go ahead with the JST-XH female connectors on my T28 and XP 2S Brushless projects just because I have them. They are very similar to the JST-PH and should work OK as a substitute. Are you aware of any problems with these connectors?

The weather is not that great and as painfull as it is I'll leave the Beast 3D on the shelf for a while longer and try to get some JST-PH connectors.
Last edited by msdumo; Jan 11, 2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:33 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Msdumo,

That should work. Might be a bit heavier than going with the Beast's JST PH connectors, though.

Restlesswind,

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8733

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/117

Joel
Thanks! I found this at the LHS http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...beast-EFLU4068
I cut off the Y portion and made it connect to a JST (F). I also bought a couple of Hyp 240's
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:34 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
Quote:
Not available here
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:41 PM
3D... the only way to fly!
Kissimmee
Joined Apr 2010
336 Posts
Quote:

Got a link where they might be in stock?
snjbird is offline Find More Posts by snjbird
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:32 AM
ISP Supervisor
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2006
722 Posts
There is a Japanese shop that has them in stock. Not sure how long shipping would take though. :/
makg is offline Find More Posts by makg