HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:20 PM
3D... the only way to fly!
Kissimmee
Joined Apr 2010
336 Posts
I had a aileron failure on mine, it locked up and caused a crash, it was around the 15th flight?

Have any of you guys been moving the servo wires to get more throw out of the ailerons, and elevator?
snjbird is offline Find More Posts by snjbird
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined Aug 2011
88 Posts
your guys didn't get it, is wasn't because of broken elevator, my elevator was intact, and I ready reforced it with CF rods.
freesex is offline Find More Posts by freesex
Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:24 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freesex View Post
your guys didn't get it, is wasn't because of broken elevator, my elevator was intact, and I ready reforced it with CF rods.
Servo it must be then... those gears can strip or come loose, crud can get on the open resistive strips, the metal fingers can lose contact...I've even had the little retaining nut come loose...
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Joined Aug 2011
88 Posts
your guys didn't get it, it wasn't becuase of broken elevator, My elevator was physically intact. actually I just did the CF rod enforcement yesterday.
freesex is offline Find More Posts by freesex
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,187 Posts
At the same time I did the elevator reinforcement, I did a very, very radical mod which had no physical effect, but made me feel good!

I used a red Sharpie to touch-up the control horn push-throughs on top of the lower wing.

Now, they're red -- instead of plastic white......pretty closely matching the rest of the wing!

I took a photo. But it doesn't show anything! The horn push-throughs are now almost invisible!

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:25 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
At the same time I did the elevator reinforcement, I did a very, very radical mod which had no physical effect, but made me feel good!

I used a red Sharpie to touch-up the control horn push-throughs on top of the lower wing.

Now, they're red -- instead of plastic white......pretty closely matching the rest of the wing!

I took a photo. But it doesn't show anything! The horn push-throughs are now almost invisible!

heh heh

I did the same thing, but my red Sharpie wasn't a perfect match... still blended well, though.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:26 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,080 Posts
I didn't see a need to increase aileron throw, it rolled pretty fast but was still smooth.

FS, look at your control horn, sometimes they kinda crease the area around it and get loose making a lot of slop in the control. Maybe your cf became loose, it's worth checking. The heat shrink on the control might've come loose, a million things.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:29 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,517 Posts
Quote:
your guys didn't get it, it wasn't becuase of broken elevator, My elevator was physically intact. actually I just did the CF rod enforcement yesterday.

This was a problem with the V1's so I'm not surprised that it's also a problem with the V2's..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:30 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
The heat shrink on the control might've come loose, a million things.
Forgot about that one! On my UM T28, had a loose rod into that sleeve on the rod, right from the factory, and sometimes it would stay put but other times it would slip. Drove me crazy until I saw what it was.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:37 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,402 Posts
C'mon, give me a break here! I simply adjusted the rudder so it's perfectly straight. It was on my V1 Beast, so why shouldn't it be straight on the V2???? It's done already, so I'm leaving it straight for now. Will see if I like it or not after. There was a serious going left angle on mine for sure (but not anymore.... )

Now, about that elevator needing some "help": That's another thing that was ok on the V1 Beast too. In fact, that's about the only area that still look brand new on my old Beast So that would be the gyro vibration that would weaken the elevator? Not doing anything about it for now, but will watch it for sure!

This bring my last point. On my original Beast V1, the only mod that I think was mandatory, was a little carbon fiber rod on the lower wing, going straight through the fuselage. (lower wing was not that crash resistant). I'm very tempted to do it right away on my new Beast 3D. Nobody had a the lower wing ripped on them already on the V2?
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:44 PM
Custom airplanes and boats
Zellwood, FL
Joined Aug 2010
235 Posts
We have hundreds of flights on V1 and V2 Beasts and have made zero airframe mods. We fly off concrete and off grass. Just about all landings on grass.
kjkimball is offline Find More Posts by kjkimball
Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:46 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,187 Posts
Quote:
I think that the elevator might LOOK (and be) perfectly intact when you examine it on the ground, but in the air it fails to provide full authority -- because the connecting strip between the elevator's left and right sides is so narrow.

After tracknoob posted a few days ago, I check my Beast's elevator. It looked absolutely fine. However, try holding the left side of the elevator (where the horn is), and at the same time gently wiggle the right side.

If yours is like mine was, there's way too much flex! That's what the CF reinforcement can fix......If......it stays secure and doesn't come loose.

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Last edited by pugsam; Jan 06, 2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: dementia
Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:49 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,080 Posts
Had a lower wing rip on my v2, it was a bad crash. Showing off to the crew doing fast slow rolls at head level, gave rudder wrong direction. Repaired with glue, as good as ever(I also bought another b3D, just in case). I mean, I would do it if you knew you were gonna crash a lot. I used to crash my ums all the time until I started treating them like real planes, instead of like aero aces!
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:14 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
I mean, I would do it if you knew you were gonna crash a lot.
Can you define "a lot"? The way I fly, crashing is not a possibility, it's simply a question of time! Will do the maiden and a few flights without it, but somehow, I think I'll add one sooner or later.

P.S.: I gave back a little bit of left rudder. (about half of what was on my Beast originally). Two adjustements already, and not flown it once yet!
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:25 PM
ISP Supervisor
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2006
722 Posts
You need right rudder, not left.
makg is offline Find More Posts by makg