HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2011, 04:13 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makg View Post
Anybody have the MiniAviaton 2S lipos made for the Beast?
yep great batteries

cheers chuck

PS my another day video is using two of these batteries
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Last edited by ChuckTseeker; Dec 20, 2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: quoted wrong video
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2011, 04:54 AM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDDERLESS View Post

Thanks for the info.
Can't decide wether to change the existing "airplane connector" to another "plug/socket" system or change the after market batteries to the existing system, you listed above.
GAMBLER... even if the numbers you listed above were wrong I wouldn't blame you, I don't think anybody here would, I hope.

RUD
rudderless- I snip off the stock connectors and use Deans 2R or knock-offs of them on all my 2S micro and ultra micro planes. They're easy to use, easy to install, and handle more current than I'll ever put through them. FWIW; E-Flite solders the connector on their planes, so solder with confidence on your connectors.
MR2
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Dec 20, 2011, 05:51 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
The new hyp umx packs are ten dollars, you can also buy a kit for ten dollars from quantum hobby with batts and connector to home brew hyps, miniaviation are 10-15 with cheap and quick shopping. Three great choices for about 11-13 dollars. The nano-techs are 5, but only come in 180mah, and I ordered 4 a month ago, they are still back ordered.
Well, nano-tech come to $2.56 with a buddy code (but then you can only order 3 of them) or you can post your own code if you paid $5 and receive some money back, so basically, they are truly dirt cheap. I'm still experimenting with them, but the way they are going right now, I see why they are always backorder! I got a 7 minute soft flight with them in sub freezing temperature because I forgot to set my timer. Noticed it only when I saw the video, not because it lost power in flight! (my usual pet peeve with cheap battery is that they are useless in th cold, but those really seem to be good so far). And I was thinking that at that price, I could use them until they die, and then use the connectors on my homemade hyperions. But heck, so far so good. I may simply buy more if they ever get back on stock. Agreed that they should make 240mah as well (or something in that ballpark!). Wires on them are really nice too.

Still, nothing beat my Hyperions in the cold, and right now, it's winter here! And I'm looking forward for those new $10 Hyp to show up at AlleRC. Wondering if we will be able to shave some weight on them though (by removing some of the wrapping).
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:50 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Heads up for canadians!!!! The first Beast 3D finally showed up in Canada! "Sadly", in only one of the 4 Great Hobbies, and strangely, that had to be the one in Prince Edwards!!!! But that's a good sign!! They should be in most hobby shops by the end of the week I guess! So finally, they fixed that GPS on that boat, and found their way up north! YEAH!!!!
Old Dec 20, 2011, 08:06 AM
YNWA
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makg View Post
Anybody have the MiniAviaton 2S lipos made for the Beast?
I know chuck has been talking about them. I have mine on order, hope they get here soon, bc only flying my beast for only a few batteries at a time is starting to become some what of a tease!!
Wfvirgo is offline Find More Posts by Wfvirgo
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:46 AM
Joined Oct 2009
226 Posts
Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Heads up for canadians!!!! The first Beast 3D finally showed up in Canada! "Sadly", in only one of the 4 Great Hobbies, and strangely, that had to be the one in Prince Edwards!!!! But that's a good sign!! They should be in most hobby shops by the end of the week I guess! So finally, they fixed that GPS on that boat, and found their way up north! YEAH!!!!
Pre-ordered mine from their Mississauga store nov. 9, they say "maybe" in this week.

RUD
RUDDERLESS is offline Find More Posts by RUDDERLESS
Old Dec 20, 2011, 04:43 PM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
217 Posts
batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
yep great batteries

cheers chuck

PS my maiden video is using two of these batteries
cheers where did you get the batteries
kevin finn is offline Find More Posts by kevin finn
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:22 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin finn View Post
cheers where did you get the batteries
http://miniaviation.com/UMX_210.html

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:47 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,021 Posts
I almost bought one tonight BUT haven't read any reviews yet; I was surprised to see it.

What are these babies like?

can they hover fairly easy?

Quote:
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:35 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
I bought one tonight at the LHS. I didn't expect to see it there either. But sure enough there were at least 3 just sitting there taunting me.

I will be forced to try it out tomorrow.
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Dec 21, 2011, 02:19 AM
Joined Oct 2009
129 Posts
Deleted
DangerDave is offline Find More Posts by DangerDave
Last edited by DangerDave; Jan 31, 2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 05:51 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
I almost bought one tonight BUT haven't read any reviews yet; I was surprised to see it.

What are these babies like?

can they hover fairly easy?

Hey, Razors edge! Where have you been!!!! Lots of great reviews around, including some very nice videos from our usual friends Turbo and Chuck (and also other many nice videos around).

You may want to read my FAQ if you've not followed all the stuff about the new airplanes coming out, here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1525626

You'll find most of what have been said by the HH guys, somewhere, in our 10000 posts, in one single post. The answer to your question by one of the pro itself is:

"About hovering the Beast
I will say something here to maybe give some insight from an "experienced" pilots perspective. I flew quite a bit in the video (along with QQ). AS3X does not make hovering/all 3D manuevers easy, or do-able by the average pilot. The Beast 3D is still very difficult to hover (much more so than the UMX Extra 300 in my opinion), but it is actually capable of this now, whereas I, myself couldn't even hover the old Beast. I can now with the new one. However, as I mentioned above, it is still very difficult to do (but pretty easy for experienced 3D pilots), but is capable of doing so now. The reason the last Beast wasn't called 3D, it wasn't capable. This one is capable, but no-one has said that it is "easy" to do. -Seth Arnold"

(Still can't believe that Seth could not hover the old Beast... He could over two piece of wood attached together with a rubber band, with a PC fan in front.... But that's another story!)
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:08 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,021 Posts
LOL

I am surprised Seth said he couldn't hover the old beast as well

Thanks for the reply

Quote:
Hey, Razors edge! Where have you been!!!! Lots of great reviews around, including some very nice videos from our usual friends Turbo and Chuck (and also other many nice videos around).

You may want to read my FAQ if you've not followed all the stuff about the new airplanes coming out, here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1525626

You'll find most of what have been said by the HH guys, somewhere, in our 10000 posts, in one single post. The answer to your question by one of the pro itself is:

"About hovering the Beast
I will say something here to maybe give some insight from an "experienced" pilots perspective. I flew quite a bit in the video (along with QQ). AS3X does not make hovering/all 3D manuevers easy, or do-able by the average pilot. The Beast 3D is still very difficult to hover (much more so than the UMX Extra 300 in my opinion), but it is actually capable of this now, whereas I, myself couldn't even hover the old Beast. I can now with the new one. However, as I mentioned above, it is still very difficult to do (but pretty easy for experienced 3D pilots), but is capable of doing so now. The reason the last Beast wasn't called 3D, it wasn't capable. This one is capable, but no-one has said that it is "easy" to do. -Seth Arnold"

(Still can't believe that Seth could not hover the old Beast... He could over two piece of wood attached together with a rubber band, with a PC fan in front.... But that's another story!)
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:33 AM
FPV'r
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
They're new, and they're now available at some of the overseas Hyperion dealers. All e RC is the primary Hyperion dealer in the US, and they'll know what's going on. I suggest giving them a call.

Joel
Not so, they are in the USA.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1558202&page=2
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:36 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ror1 View Post
Great news! BTW - they weren't available in the US when I posted that info.

It costs me about 10 bucks to make a pack. I'd rather not roll my own when Hyp has 'em for the same price - but I don't want the extra 2g of dead-weight. I'll have to see how much weight can be saved by removing the shrink-wrap. Hopefully, I can get them down to about the weight of my homebrew packs.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member