Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 15, 2010, 06:29 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
I'm rather disappointed that they have used the 4-site type wing construction. For only a few grams penalty, we could have had proper wings with a decent cross-section, like the micro Sukhoi-Su26, that are a LOT stronger. It's going to be tears all round when these wings fold after a crash.
Sure enough, with 2S power and extra weight, a hit may more likely damage the wings, but I guess you don't own a 4-Site, because on mine, the fuselage is totally, completely crushed, and the wings still look new! Not even sure why. I think they bend on impact, or I got lucky and only crashed nose first. Sure enough, the area where the wings are glued to the fuselage had to be re-glued many times (and eventually taped). But right now, if I had to rebuild my 4-Site, I could definitively use the old wings again, which is amazing, particularly when you look at how much damage I manage to to on the fuselage. So somehow, I really hope that the Beast will be the same... Look fragile, but still can take a beating like the 4-Site.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:16 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,150 Posts
Its true.. the 4site wings bend rather than chip or shatter like the sukhoi's.
The beast should hold up well in the hands of its intended, capable pilot. Try flying in tight indoor spaces, near bushes or trees, or low over unforgiving surfaces and I'm sure your asking for trouble.
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Oct 15, 2010, 06:11 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,345 Posts
Quote:
I'm rather disappointed that they have used the 4-site type wing construction. For only a few grams penalty, we could have had proper wings with a decent cross-section, like the micro Sukhoi-Su26, that are a LOT stronger. It's going to be tears all round when these wings fold after a crash.

I think it was to save weight. WIth the sukhoi xp wings the thrust to weight ratio wouldn't be that inpressive. I would argee that it would make the wings more durable and it might help reduce drag.
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Oct 15, 2010, 07:33 PM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,304 Posts
I'm still gonna buy one though. It does appear to be an awesome plane!!
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Old Oct 16, 2010, 12:42 AM
Areoplain Chapmion Flire
Melbourne Australia
Joined Aug 2010
147 Posts
Where's the best place to preorder the UMX Beast that will also ship to Australia?

Also, when you preorder, do they charge your CC when you place the order or when the Beast ships?
Mister Gun is offline Find More Posts by Mister Gun
Old Oct 16, 2010, 12:59 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,345 Posts
Question for Horizon Hobby employees, Does the micro beast have unlimited vertical? Like is it ballistic like the new Carbon-Z Yak?
Old Oct 16, 2010, 08:54 AM
Areoplain Chapmion Flire
Melbourne Australia
Joined Aug 2010
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Gun View Post
Where's the best place to preorder the UMX Beast that will also ship to Australia?

Also, when you preorder, do they charge your CC when you place the order or when the Beast ships?
HobbyZone any good? I hope so because I just preordered with them. I think I also just paid in advance....

Hope the weather clears soon. Maybe I'll get a chance to learn to fly my new UM T-29 (it's a bit better than the T-28 because I changed the Velcro) before the Beast is shipped. I'll have to order the DX6i this week too.
Last edited by Mister Gun; Oct 16, 2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 10:58 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,345 Posts
Quote:
HobbyZone any good? I hope so because I just preordered with them. I think I also just paid in advance....

Hope the weather clears soon. Maybe I'll get a chance to learn to fly my new UM T-29 (it's a bit better than the T-28 because I changed the Velcro) before the Beast is shipped. I'll have to order the DX6i this week too.
So a micro mustang with brushless upgrade, battery upgrade, and flaps upgrade is a P-55?
Old Oct 16, 2010, 02:01 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,345 Posts
Date is now pushed back to Late November.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 02:47 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
Quote:

They wont actually charge you until it ships.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Oct 16, 2010, 03:38 PM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
Question for Horizon Hobby employees, Does the micro beast have unlimited vertical? Like is it ballistic like the new Carbon-Z Yak?
See the promotional video? Straight after take off (lifts off in about 3 feet), it then appears to climb vertically for quite a while.

Quote from the e-flite page about the 180 motor.

"Ideal for 3D models weighing 23 oz (5585 g)"

The beast is under 70 g.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Old Oct 16, 2010, 06:42 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,345 Posts
Quote:
See the promotional video? Straight after take off (lifts off in about 3 feet), it then appears to climb vertically for quite a while.

Quote from the e-flite page about the 180 motor.

"Ideal for 3D models weighing 2–3 oz (55–85 g)"

The beast is under 70 g.
So the micro beast has a good chance at unlimited vertical climbs? The video looks pretty good, vertical rolls. I always wanted an aerobatic airplane that could keep flying upwards until you couldn't see it anymore! The new yak has that unlimited vertical, but it is too expensive for me
Last edited by Cheese5; Oct 16, 2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 08:17 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
I'm wondering if HH has a 'DO NOT SELL TO' list?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6082

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2010, 08:57 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
I'm wondering if HH has a 'DO NOT SELL TO' list?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6082

rc

Hope not.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 09:53 PM
Areoplain Chapmion Flire
Melbourne Australia
Joined Aug 2010
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
They wont actually charge you until it ships.
I don't mind either way, but I paid through PayPal last night and we have a receipt so it seems as though I have preordered and paid in advance. If they have taken payment for it then I'm actually happier with that. I'd rather the thing paid for in advance for a few reasons. Nobody got around to answering me on whether HobbyZone.com were ok to order from and I got a little impatient. I looked up the online vendor list at E-Flite and they were listed there so I just decided to go with them.