HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2011, 06:15 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemE View Post
May I ask a question? Can you peek inside and tell me if the AS3X RX is just an RX/ESC only with all 4 servos being seperates?, OR, does it have 2 servos on it??

It seems that the GeeBee and Beast list the same part number and I've read conflicting reports but haven't seen a photo yet.
RemE, they use the same board! There was some bad communication originally, but both frames use the same AS3X board, which tell a lot about how good this board may be.

Kevin already told you the answer, but in case you have more questions (or for others who do), don't forget to check the FAQ here:
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1525626
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:58 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
There is also a grebee pic on the website showing two servos on the board
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:15 PM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,233 Posts
Thanks, Kevin too bad, I was hoping for a servoless AC3X RX, for other projects.
RemE is online now Find More Posts by RemE
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:22 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, Kevin too bad, I was hoping for a servoless AC3X RX, for other projects.
Any reason why one just couldn't remove/unscrew/desolder them.....?
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:27 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Any reason why one just couldn't remove/unscrew/desolder them.....?
And then solder in plugs for external servos? Maybe... probably beyond MY soldering abilities. I'd likely fry something. That and void the warranty, says Mr. Obvious.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:28 PM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,233 Posts
unscrew, desolder, then find and pick up the 3 servo connections, get mating connectors... not a very simple option at all.

I want to stabilize a few different models and need seperate outputs.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:34 PM
Elida, Ohio
Joined Apr 2010
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
And that, gentlemen, is the reason why I still have a hard time believing that the AS3X board will work so well on the Beast for hovering... I have a hard time grasping the concept that so many of us can hover a decent 3D airplane for a full battery, but when it come to the Beast, getting 20 second of so-so hover is like an exploit. Electronic can only do so much. I've still pre-ordered mine because I know what electronic can do, but in such a airframe??? With something like the UMX Extra, you would have told me that you can go into a hover, put the remote on the ground, go grab a coffee, come back and it would still be in hover. But the Beast???? It will be great in the wind, it will be better in KEs (though the V1 is already awesome), but wow, I'm still not sure what to expect for hovering. Video so far have been awesome, but those were done in the hands of expert.

For those who went to the shows like JR indoors, IHobby, etc, did you saw a lot of Beast hovering? (Still cannot believe that those shows are so popular, yet nobody seem to bring a video camera with them when they go.... If I could go, I would either have a Tx or a video camera in my hand 100% of the time. Heck, maybe even the both at the same time!)
I was at the JR and FORGOT to grab my video camera. Was too busy packing up planes. I did get some video on my phone of the V2 Beast hovering but with no zoom its not a close shot. Thought I could get some better shots on the second floor but it was actually worse. I will work on getting the video transferred over but I've been extremely busy lately. Hopefully soon. It was impressive to see them hover. What was more impressive was how smoothly the Gee Bees flew!
MugMan is offline Find More Posts by MugMan
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:37 PM
Elida, Ohio
Joined Apr 2010
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Kevin,

I've seen that video many times! That's why I said: "Video so far have been awesome, but those were done in the hands of experts.". (BTW: I'm the guy who's started and kept track of the AS3X airplanes FAQ and all videos about those airplanes are posted there: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1525626

Mike can probably hover the V1 Beast for 3 or 4 minutes! But for most pilots like myself, getting 10 to 30 seconds is an exploit. So yes, the AS3X board can probably do miracles in many aspect, but until I get my hand on it, you have to admit it's hard for us to grasp the concept that suddenly, we will be able to hover the Beast for even 1 minute or more! But again, even if I have a hard time believing it, still, I did pre-order mine!

I'm simply looking forward to see those airplanes in less experienced hands like mine. That's it. Crossing my fingers that they won't be delayed in Canada (as it was happening often in the past). No matter what, I'm sure I'll like it anyway, even if it's simply because I can fly it in stronger winds.
I didn't see them letting anyone else fly the planes. Just the HH Team.
MugMan is offline Find More Posts by MugMan
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:46 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
unscrew, desolder, then find and pick up the 3 servo connections, get mating connectors... not a very simple option at all.

I want to stabilize a few different models and need seperate outputs.
True true...not simple...but doable, if one wants to badly enough ...and has a bit of micro-soldering experience. Definitely would take a steady hand...I'm taking a look at one of my boards right now...the pads are reachable...would take an ultra-fine tip...I wouldn't want to attempt it, personally....possible ruin a brand new most-likely-very-spendy AS3X board...no way Jose.

Betcha someone will do it though.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:47 PM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,453 Posts
Kevin already told you the answer, but in case you have more questions (or for others who do), don't forget to check the FAQ here:
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1525626

this Faq say's the Hypertaxie has a board simular to the Sbach (seperate servo's) The Beast & Gebee have two servo boards? Just wish HH would convert over to the servo-less boards & save greif over replaceing a bad servo.

With the introduction of the Sbach servo-les board, I thought that's where this all is head'ed, But...Who Knows???
mike3976 is online now Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Nov 18, 2011, 02:06 PM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,233 Posts
Thanks Mike! Just the ticket, parts on order!!

I agree, there should be NO servos on a brick, much easier to maintain seperates. I thought they were going that way as well.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 02:59 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,789 Posts
Regarding the Beast/Gee Bee brick - they likely went with the integrated servos so they could use the V1 Beast's airframe as-is - mold costs being what they are nowadays. It's a much more cost-effective solution than paying for a new fuse mold.

Unfortunately, the HT's servoless brick uses specific mixes that would be undesirable on a conventional airframe. Hopefully, they have some conventional planes in the works that will require separate servos to get the CG right. If so, we will eventually see a version of the HT's brick without the platform-specific mixing.

Better yet - I hope they eventually release a 'builder's version' that is field-programmable, similar to a flybarless unit.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2011, 03:10 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Better yet - I hope they eventually release a 'builder's version' that is field-programmable, similar to a flybarless unit.

Joel

Words of wisdom, right there! They'd "fly" off the shelves for sure! (and be relatively spendy, no doubt). I'd "need" at least two...
Old Nov 18, 2011, 03:15 PM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,233 Posts
The bricks run around $60ish not too shabby for the technology. I will be playing with both to see what can be done.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 04:20 PM
Custom airplanes and boats
Zellwood, FL
Joined Aug 2010
237 Posts
well guys... As luck would have it, there has been no wind here for a week until today, the very day we want to do the head to head plus maiden the UMX BEAST 3D. It has been blowing 15-20 knots all day and gusty. So, we ran it and played with it a bit but didn't fly it. These are the only 2 "in the wild" so to speak and we didn't want to risk damage. So, tomorrow if the winds die down a bit.
kjkimball is offline Find More Posts by kjkimball