HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:33 AM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
The beast kind of looks like a box kite when it's flying, tough to get orientation down at first but you get used to it.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:39 AM
United States, RI
Joined Feb 2006
383 Posts
Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure it was not just me. My eyes are not what they used to be. When I did lose orientation with the Beast I'd get it back within a second or so but sometimes a second is too much. I was just amazed though that it kept happening. As turnerm mentioned I was flying near dusk. Plus not setting the expo probably hurt too. For beginners I thought. Not so with the beast.

Tony
everynameistaken is offline Find More Posts by everynameistaken
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:48 AM
United States, RI
Joined Feb 2006
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
Tony:

Also, try not to orient the plane coming directly at your or directly away from you - since the profile of the beast is so thin, it's easy to lose orientation on these vectors.

Also, I do agree it's a "biplane" thing. If you haven't flown biplanes before, the first time is going to be a challenge for your eyes to pick out the proper orientation.

Hope this helps - I hope that made sense to someone out there

Ryan
Ryan. That might be a problem for me because thats how I primarily fly - towards me or away from me. I have flown homemade biplanes before but they had lots of yellow, white or pink in them with some contrasting dark colors. Orientation wise the biplanes always seemed the hardest for me followed by mid-wingers.

Tony
everynameistaken is offline Find More Posts by everynameistaken
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:06 AM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
some people have mentioned painting the bottom of their bottom wing white or yellow ... i haven't seen any pics of that yet though
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:33 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everynameistaken View Post
Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure it was not just me. My eyes are not what they used to be. When I did lose orientation with the Beast I'd get it back within a second or so but sometimes a second is too much. I was just amazed though that it kept happening. As turnerm mentioned I was flying near dusk. Plus not setting the expo probably hurt too. For beginners I thought. Not so with the beast.

Tony
Yup... I have trouble at dusk with trees as the background. You get to where you have faith in the orientation based on what it was the LAST time you knew for sure and what you've done in the meantime. That, and if the plane is still flying in the direction you intend, you're usually good. But it's that "usually" part that causes me to break out my Sbach when the sun gets low.

BTW, I find my eyes are tack-sharp when flying against the sky or some other high contrast situation. Guys at the club are amazed at how far out I can maintain orientation with these little things. So it's not an eye problem.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:34 AM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
I know somebody was talking about finding a stronger prop adaptor for the beast, this will also work for the sbach as well, ships from UK. I prefer the stock adaptor though, I like a breaking point somewhere. http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Flite-UMX-...item3cbc27b757
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:47 AM
Defender of the Aerobird!
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Dec 2002
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
The beast kind of looks like a box kite when it's flying, tough to get orientation down at first but you get used to it.
I generally orient, at least up and down based on the fact that the top wing is not attached to the fuse, and the bottom wing is

Quote:
I know somebody was talking about finding a stronger prop adaptor for the beast, this will also work for the sbach as well, ships from UK. I prefer the stock adaptor though, I like a breaking point somewhere. http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Flite-UMX-...item3cbc27b757
Eh, that just moves the point of failure back to the firewall, or the motor shaft.
Mattydiah is online now Find More Posts by Mattydiah
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:48 AM
Joined Dec 2010
7,868 Posts
Quote:
Wouldn't putting that on instead of the plastic one add to the nose-heavy problems of the Sbach? I find my Sbach balances perfectly with the battery all the way back as it is.

EDIT: Oops... wrong thread. Just saw the Sbach pic in the eBay listing.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:52 AM
Defender of the Aerobird!
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Dec 2002
394 Posts
That will probably also act as a flywheel, making the prop slower to spin up and down. Maybe not by much, but it will affect it.
Mattydiah is online now Find More Posts by Mattydiah
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:59 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
The prop adapter ICU designed (a forum member) was still made out of a nylon or plastic type material. It probably could still break on a major impact (which is good.) The problem with the stock adapter is that it breaks way too easy - on light impacts sometimes.

The allow adapter that you have listed is insanely strong. on a major impact, instead of breaking a small $4 part, you'll break the firewall, motor shaft, prop, fuselage, etc. And to boot, your adapter will probably be bent and unusable.

People in the RC Car/Buggy/Truggy world have gone through this. Allow is nice to look at, but is heavier and when there is an impact it bends instead of breaks. Try bending a weirdly shared allow part back in to proper form.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:09 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everynameistaken View Post
Ryan. That might be a problem for me because thats how I primarily fly - towards me or away from me. I have flown homemade biplanes before but they had lots of yellow, white or pink in them with some contrasting dark colors. Orientation wise the biplanes always seemed the hardest for me followed by mid-wingers.

Tony
There are nav light kits available to help w/ dusk and/or dawn and/or low contrast visual conditions....the standard red/port green/starboard white/tail would help immensely in low light conditions with this ship...it's been talked about a few pages back, with links.

~Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:22 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
There are nav light kits available to help w/ dusk and/or dawn and/or low contrast visual conditions....the standard red/port green/starboard white/tail would help immensely in low light conditions with this ship...it's been talked about a few pages back, with links.

~Bud
Yes... and they're reasonably priced. Been thinking... been thinking... haven't pulled the trigger yet though... I have all 3 BL UM's but prolly the Beast would benefit the most.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:35 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Yes... and they're reasonably priced. Been thinking... been thinking... haven't pulled the trigger yet though... I have all 3 BL UM's but prolly the Beast would benefit the most.
Would be nice if they supported an on/off or dimming control as well but from what I gather they currently are always on.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:44 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post
Would be nice if they supported an on/off or dimming control as well but from what I gather they currently are always on.
Apparently they don't draw much. I haven't been able to get a real answer about power draw as he confuses mA with mAh, but I think the draw is negligible to the point of being un-noticeable, like 10mAh out of the pack during a standard 6 min flight.

Are you thinking there are times, appearance-wise, you'd just like to have them off?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:47 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Apparently they don't draw much. I haven't been able to get a real answer about power draw as he confuses mA with mAh, but I think the draw is negligible to the point of being un-noticeable, like 10mAh out of the pack during a standard 6 min flight.

Are you thinking there are times, appearance-wise, you'd just like to have them off?
Ya I'd just like the option to turn them off at times. Could always add one of these I suppose - http://www.hansenhobbies.com/product...dacc/ers/pers/ Too bad the light kit doesn't have that as an option.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Last edited by flitelab; Sep 20, 2011 at 12:57 PM.