HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:09 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,618 Posts
Couple flights from this morning with the Stryker and Beast.

Have to say after flying the Stryker for a bit now that the Beast seems much slower now, not sure how my other brushless UMs will feel, getting spoiled with these newer brushless planes. I find moving to these faster planes really improves your skills and you can really notice it when you step back in speed the slower planes for sure.

Stryker & Beast Morning Flights (7 min 47 sec)
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:36 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,166 Posts
I just got back from the park, the results from moving the servos to the top of the bottom wing are (drumroll please) IT WORKS GREAT! I didn't notice any difference at all the way it flew. I put 5-6 batteries through it, seems to fly exactly the same, the rolls have no coupling, rolls just as quick, flys very nice! I did have one incident at about 40' high, beast just took a nice vertical dive and I had no response from the controls! It wasn't too bad though, broke a prop, battery tray came loose, and 2 struts came loose. A little CA and a new prop and it was back in the air in less than 10 minutes, gotta love the ultra micros for the easy repairs! If that was any other plane (like my carbon z yak) it would have caused extensive damage (see pic below). I don't think the servo mod was related to the crash, I lost rudder and elevator too, all the controls were working right after the crash. I'm really enjoying the servo mod so far!
slo-fly is online now Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:47 PM
Team Hillbilly
Baltimore, Md
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post
It would actually be the thickness of the servo going from hung under the wing to sitting on top, a fairly large change of its center point.
Yes I guess it would be the thickness of the servo and the wings foam. I stand corrected but my point was that the reference in the link was talking about putting it under the top wing which is a much larger change than simply moving it to the top of the lower wing. In fact when you move it to the top of the lower wing you are moving weight closer to the center of rotation which might even improve roll rate. Im not saying you need more roll rate on this plane but just speculating.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:49 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,166 Posts
I think it looks better, better for the servos, and makes more sense to me, especially after flying it.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:37 PM
Buffalos have wings
Vancouver Washington
Joined Nov 2007
2,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Tato,

Is this guide any help to you?
http://www.parkflyingfun.com/ParkZone_linear_servo.html

rc
RCBABBLE, thanks man, that was a huge help.....Seeing what was inside one of these, I was able to see that the brass threaded insert that goes thru the servo "arm" had indeed pulled all the way out....I got my nerve up (and a good magnifier), pulled the brick out, removed the servo, took it apart, got the brass piece back in the arm and am getting ready to put it all back together (then we'll see if it still works after my ham hands get done. )
Tatonka is offline Find More Posts by Tatonka
Old Sep 11, 2011, 03:25 PM
... UMX Horizon Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Tato,

Is this guide any help to you?
http://www.parkflyingfun.com/ParkZone_linear_servo.html

rc
hard and difficult work-need calm fingers and good eyes.
In my opinion, the servos are good but not perfect-- still affected of climate conditions without protection, case or someting like that. Little sand dust on the gear or gearwheel will lock the servo..enough to lost the plane

My servos work without problems (knocking on wood) but after many flights I have to push the tiny, black axis retainer back in position. You can detect it if you move the rod and see the gearwheel moves forward/back its time to push the retainer
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Sep 11, 2011, 04:40 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
hard and difficult work-need calm fingers and good eyes.
In my opinion, the servos are good but not perfect-- still affected of climate conditions without protection, case or someting like that. Little sand dust on the gear or gearwheel will lock the servo..enough to lost the plane

My servos work without problems (knocking on wood) but after many flights I have to push the tiny, black axis retainer back in position. You can detect it if you move the rod and see the gearwheel moves forward/back its time to push the retainer

Count,

The 1S brushed motor problems are history with these 2S brushless planes.
Seems like the servos are the weak link now.
Let's hope they are improved in the future.
I would gladly pay more for a higher quality servo option.
On that note, I've been super fortunate with my UM servos!
My Beast is approaching 350 flights.
No servo issues.
(Just say NO to jinxed!)

My Stryker is amazingly fast for a UM with 2S Hyp 240s & 4040 prop.
Servos are solid at this time.

My original V1 Sukhoi has over 500 flights on her without a servo issue as well.

My nightmare would be a stuck elevator servo.
I'm still practicing in my mind, how I'm going to deal with that.
If it ever gets stuck in a down position, I'm going to roll inverted asap and deal with it with throttle.

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:02 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,166 Posts
The stuck elevator servo got me twice with the carbon z yak. Both times it plowed into the ground and I was left with a yard sale to clean up. It is quite the nightmare to watch your plane heading straight for the ground and there is very little you can do about it. I've since renamed my carbon z yak to kamikazee yak. I'm still waiting for a new fuse to come in stock so I can rebuild it. This time it's getting a better esc, hacker motor, hyperion 4s, and 4 hi-tec servos. I need to find a way to take some weight off of it, it feels heavy but solid. I've never had any problems with any of my servos on the um's. I got a piece of dirt stuck in the aileron servo of the beast once, luckily it was in the neutral position and still flew ok with only one aileron working.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:44 PM
Team Hillbilly
Baltimore, Md
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
My yak went in with the same stuck elevator issue. I remember seeing your posts over in the Yak thread. I've just started flying my yak again since my Shp is down awaiting a new motor box.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 07:36 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Woo hoo!! Finally got a flat spin with the Beast. It was a little jerky but it was a flat spin. Moved the elevator pushrod to the inner hole and it worked!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Sep 11, 2011, 07:54 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Woo hoo!! Finally got a flat spin with the Beast. It was a little jerky but it was a flat spin. Moved the elevator pushrod to the inner hole and it worked!
Must be inverted? Upright need very little elevator....
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Sep 11, 2011, 07:56 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
.. gotta love the ultra micros for the easy repairs! If that was any other plane (like my carbon z yak) it would have caused extensive damage (see pic below).
Okay, at the cost of going way off-topic, I still have to know. What the hell happened to your Yak? Looks like the battery ruptured too. Wow that is extensive.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Sep 11, 2011, 07:59 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post
Couple flights from this morning with the Stryker and Beast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HyXB...layer_embedded
Excellent song. I used it before you though a month ago in my Super Cub video nyah nyah Pearl Jam rocks for using music in flight videos
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Sep 11, 2011, 08:06 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Must be inverted? Upright need very little elevator....
Nope. Upright! Yours can do upright flat spins with stock throws??
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Sep 11, 2011, 08:11 PM
Team Hillbilly
Baltimore, Md
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Ha Ha something that happened to mine Binary. Elevator servo failure. Mine was only about 20 flights old.