HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2011, 07:10 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
I might have to try a couple of those bad boys. I have a 30amp 1000watt icharger 306b and 2 12v 575watt 47a server power supplies wired in series for 24v 47a 1150watts of power. I also have a 12v power output wired in for running a smaller charger as well. I'm loving this setup.
Wouldn't that battery CRUSH the Beast??
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2011, 07:21 PM
Team Hillbilly
Baltimore, Md
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
LOL yes but it would be perfect for my 3dhobbyshop 47" Extra 300 Shp. It's already over the 2:1 power to weight ratio. I don't really need more power but I bet these batteries would stay nice and cool with my setup. I'm already pushing the Castle Ice 50 esc to it's limit so maybe I should stay away unless I want to bump up to an Ice lite 75.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Sep 08, 2011, 08:07 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,400 Posts
Am I the only one who's thinking: "That battery can deliver almost 150 amps.... You leave it on the ground in the middle of the field, and you use some very light 30awg wires going to 50 Beasts. Then, as long as you don't cross the wires too often, you can fly all 50 Beasts from one battery. No sir, I'm not the one who would try to untangle the mess after such an exploit!."

Funky thing number 2? At 150 amp, this lipo could start some small japanese cars! A couple of them in parallel would start a good old american car. So keep a few of them in your glove box!
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Sep 08, 2011, 08:13 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Am I the only one who's thinking: "That battery can deliver almost 150 amps.... You leave it on the ground in the middle of the field, and you use some very light 30awg wires going to 50 Beasts. Then, as long as you don't cross the wires too often, you can fly all 50 Beasts from one battery. No sir, I'm not the one who would try to untangle the mess after such an exploit!."

Funky thing number 2? At 150 amp, this lipo could start some small japanese cars! A couple of them in parallel would start a good old american car. So keep a few of them in your glove box!
On a serious note, and back OT, though I'm hardly innocent when it comes to OT...

I use my 2200 3S batteries (use them on my Blade 400) to power my TP 610 charger to put juice back in the UM's 180 and 240 packs. I've charged 9 packs (3 at a time in parallel) off a single 2200 3S battery without even getting it down to its nominal voltage. It's a nice compact little recharging setup for the field.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 08:17 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Love the Beast

session 5.wmv (4 min 16 sec)

A quick vid on Rolls with low and high rates
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Sep 08, 2011, 08:37 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post

Sbach IV therapy??

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2011, 09:24 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbabbel View Post
sbach iv therapy??

rc
Classic!!!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Sep 08, 2011, 09:47 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
What 3s 2200 packs can be charged that quickly? That's 5C like the little Hyperions we use. I would love to get into larger planes and still have 12 min charging time!
Erkq,

All of Hyperion's LiPo packs & cells are rated for a 6c charge. I've been flying the same Hyperion VX 2200 3s packs in my PA Extra 260 for three years. They're still going strong after more than 300 cycles @ 5c charge. Of course, I never discharge them below 80%, as measured on a charger that displays the mAh required for a full charge.

As RC noted - the new TP 65c packs can be charged @ 12c. Oh - and they're good for 600 cycles without losing power, provided that they are not abused. I'm picking up a few 3s 2250 65c packs for my PA Extra 260.

Any modern, true 25c-35c pack should handle 5c charging for at least a few hundred cycles before losing performance. If a modern pack is rated for, say, 35c charge, but only a 1-2c charge, it is a sign that the true discharge rating has been grossly inflated. It's simple. If a LiPo is cheap, it's cheap for a reason. Cheap cells always have high internal resistance. Internal resistance is the most important parameter for our purposes, as it determines the cell's true charge & discharge c-ratings.

Independent testing has shown that the cheapies don't even come close to meeting their advertised discharge ratings. Most of the cheap "25c" packs are actually 7-15c packs - the manufacturers simply inflate the ratings. But they don't dare inflate charge c-ratings because they'd get sued if a bunch of us burned our houses down while charging at factory-recommended rates.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2011, 09:51 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Independent testing has shown that the cheapies don't even come close to meeting their advertised discharge ratings. Most of the cheap "25c" packs are actually 7-15c packs - the manufacturers simply inflate the ratings. But they don't dare inflate charge c-ratings because they'd get sued if a bunch of us burned our houses down while charging at factory-recommended rates.

Joel
So really, what it comes down to is buy by charge rate, especially when considering cheaper batteries. Makes sense! Thanks.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 10:17 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Not to get off topic but...

Joel - how do you like you PA Extra? I've been eying their Ultimate Bipe for a while. That may very well be my next plane. I love bipes and that thing looks awesome!!
Old Sep 08, 2011, 10:46 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post

Joel - how do you like you PA Extra? I've been eying their Ultimate Bipe for a while. That may very well be my next plane. I love bipes and that thing looks awesome!!
I'm not Joel, but I'm in the same boat as you... only I'm drooling over the Extra 260 trying to convince myself that my fiance' will never notice I spent $500 on a new plane! Been watching videos at www.extra260.com and yes... they actually got that domain name for the PA Extra... quite a coup!
Old Sep 08, 2011, 11:31 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,167 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I'm not Joel, but I'm in the same boat as you... only I'm drooling over the Extra 260 trying to convince myself that my fiance' will never notice I spent $500 on a new plane! Been watching videos at www.extra260.com and yes... they actually got that domain name for the PA Extra... quite a coup!
I love my PA Extra! It is the best-flying plane I have ever owned - in any scale. It has absolutely zero coupling in any axis. I do rudder-only KE loops with it all the time. It has an astonishingly-low wing-loading of just 9.5 oz/sq ft. This is great for aerobatics & it's a large part of why PA's planes fly much like IMAC ships. It is an absolute joy to fly - except when it's windy. PA's new Bandit, however, is great in the wind. They debuted it at SEFF this year in 25 MPH winds, and it had no problem penetrating the wind or staying put after landing. It's designed after the Red Bull Air Racing aircraft, so it's great for precision aerobatics, 3D, and racing. I am going to order one later this year. I have not flown the Ultimate, nor have I seen one fly in person.

See the PA Extra 260 build thread for tons of info, and check my blog for a few clips of me flying mine. Also, check out the PA Bandit's website & PA Bandit thread.

Back on-topic - yesterday was a perfect day for flying. I took a half-day of vacation, and flew from 2 PM 'til dusk. Flew a bunch of packs through Beast #4, with no problems. Of the four I've flown, #4 is definitely the best-flying of the lot.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2011, 07:54 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I love my PA Extra! It is the best-flying plane I have ever owned - in any scale. It has absolutely zero coupling in any axis. I do rudder-only KE loops with it all the time. It has an astonishingly-low wing-loading of just 9.5 oz/sq ft. This is great for aerobatics & it's a large part of why PA's planes fly much like IMAC ships. It is an absolute joy to fly - except when it's windy. PA's new Bandit, however, is great in the wind. They debuted it at SEFF this year in 25 MPH winds, and it had no problem penetrating the wind or staying put after landing. It's designed after the Red Bull Air Racing aircraft, so it's great for precision aerobatics, 3D, and racing. I am going to order one later this year. I have not flown the Ultimate, nor have I seen one fly in person.

See the PA Extra 260 build thread for tons of info, and check my blog for a few clips of me flying mine. Also, check out the PA Bandit's website & PA Bandit thread.

Back on-topic - yesterday was a perfect day for flying. I took a half-day of vacation, and flew from 2 PM 'til dusk. Flew a bunch of packs through Beast #4, with no problems. Of the four I've flown, #4 is definitely the best-flying of the lot.

Joel
Thanks for the info Joel. I finished putting together my new 3DHS 48" Edge 540 last night... well - I'm still waiting on a long servo arm to be deilvered but once I get that I'll just screw it in and attach the pushrod and THEN I'll be done but for all intents and purposes I'm done. I can't wait to fly this plane - this company seems to have quite the following.

But last night when I was in my LHS the owner told me that he was also a dealer for PA. I wish I had known that before buying the 3DHS because I probably would've bought the PA Extra (he had a green one in stock that came with everything but the servos for $339). But I'll probably have him order me the Ultimate for my next plane.

Anyway - back on topic. As you said, it's odd to me how differently each Beast can fly. I've owned 3 different Beasts (down to just 2 now) and two of them behaved pretty similarly but the third one is quite different. None of them have flown poorly (not even close) but the most recent one seems to be the best of the bunch. I was able to trim it out very easily and it flies inverted better than my other ones ever did. It DOES couple a touch more in KE than my other one though...

Either way - I've loved every single Beast I've ever owned. Someone put in a call to Quique and ask him to make a Carbon Z 48" Beast for us!
Old Sep 09, 2011, 08:30 AM
Joined Jul 2011
135 Posts
need more batteries for my beast, been flying off stock and only have one so fly time sucks, can someone please link me to some cheap half decent batteries, tbh i dont understand what im looking for so if anyone has a link of where i can buy from even from hobby king would be good, ive searched here but alls i keep reading is a bunch of different numbers i dont understand
keithy351 is offline Find More Posts by keithy351
Old Sep 09, 2011, 08:40 AM
Joined Dec 2010
6,305 Posts
Quote:
Either way - I've loved every single Beast I've ever owned. Someone put in a call to Quique and ask him to make a Carbon Z 48" Beast for us!
Ohhhhhhhhh........ (!)