HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2011, 01:34 AM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
If that isn't the case then what's causing my batteries to die?
Sorry if you mentioned it- what brand/model charger are you using?

And speaking of batteries...here's my 4...now I'm ready to get that CG issue dialed in. I followed Joels' and Fish99s' blog entries generally, and added my own personalized details:

-I built the packs "back to back" (contacts facing outward), as opposed to contacts facing inward...(yikes, too close together for me that way!)

-Connex from Glenn

-Flux paste before soldering, much faster heat transfer and smoother joints

-I don't cut the contacts down- it's much easier (for me personally) to fold them twice, solder, then fold again so they're snugged down against the Kapton tape and rubber backing, inside the protective concavity of the battery top. This method provides some extra strain relief also. (kiped the idea from Dylwad)
The next 3 steps insure they're just about strain proof.

-liquid brush on electrical tape, 3 or 4 applications between 5min dryings

-Elmers "Stix-All" glue over dried connections, 24 hr cure.

-Kapton tape, two strips over, one around

-lighter than standard fiber tape (Dollar Tree)

-Used some clear, thin but stiff plastic packaging (from a Syma heli I believe ) for pull tabs...a little lighter and stiffer than most plastic container lids. Bending a permanent upward angle in it makes it easy to grab the tab when it's installed down way back in the fuse/cowl.

-1C "wake-up" charge...all cells were in perfect storage voltage, btw. (Luv Hyps, that way.)

-find a babysitter for six straight hours.

Seriously, if one has never soldered/mated up connectors and batteries it might be a good idea to start w/ single cells (for another aircraft even) as practice before venturing into the nuances of multi-cell building. I coated each solder joint and let dry before proceeding to the next one...it's *really* easy to short the facing +/- tabs whilst working on them otherwise....then *pfffft* out comes the magic smoke and there goes ten bucks.

Bud, Beastie batt arsenal at the ready Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2011, 06:18 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
O/T worthiness...

Talk about acing landings...this guy deserves a medal:

from MSNBC "week in pictures":

Clipped wings
Firefighters and rescuers stand near a Cessna sport plane in the city of Stockstadt am Main, Germany on Aug. 28. The pilot of the private plane clipped the side of a house and a lamp post while making an emergency landing on a 16-foot-wide residential street in western Germany.

Bud
He is not that good... I head that after they fixed the airplane, he asked for people to remove their cars before take-off! (Just kidding, just kidding)
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Sep 04, 2011, 06:19 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
Compete ?--where is the Aerobatics competition for UMX size ?
Well your skills can be translated to the larger size obviously. I think it's the general concensus that the larger sized airplanes are harder to fly so if you can fly the UMX like this, a large Extra 300 or Sbach should be cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud
Beatie arsenal at the ready..
Bud, are those 240mah or 180mah? And where did you get the amber coloured tape that goes over the contacts?
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:22 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Very succinctly explained there Joel...you've been quite the information dispensary lately...an asset to RCG indeed.

This stuff is right up my alley lately...I'm trying to get both this new wee Beastie and a freshly built Dynex dialed in- they both are exhibiting some issues with very non-axial rolls...nose wants to drop. Would you think that that's a symptom of the CG being too far forward?

Thnx in advance! Okay...back out to the gym for some more test flights errr I mean work...

Bud, commiting aviation all day Bud
Bud,

Thanks for the kind words!

Regarding the flight behavior you described - provided that everything else is correct (thrust-line, wing incidence, tail alignment, etc.), I'm thinking that the CG is a bit forward of the sweet spot. When you get it right, you should be able to trim for level flight, then roll inverted, and maintain level inverted flight with barely a hint of down-elevator. At that point, you should be able to execute an aileron roll without the nose dropping while inverted or in KE. Adverse yaw can also cause non-axial rolls - but the Beast is not noted for having this problem. Not sure about the Dynex. Adverse yaw during a roll will cause the nose to point outward with respect to the roll-axis, which results in a sloppy-looking roll. It is distinguishable from a nose-heavy condition, as adverse yaw is apparent all the way through the roll - not just when transitioning through inverted and/or KE flight, as is usually the case when the problem is caused by a forward CG.

Regarding the Beast - the CG sweet spot is usually around 18-20mm, as measured aft from the LE of the bottom wing. The front of an 11.6g Hyp 180 2s pack will typically end up around 4-5mm behind the cowl opening, with a 14.5g Hyp 240 2s a bit further aft. Here's where an 11.6g Hyp 180 2s pack ends up in mine (5043 prop, CG @ 19mm):

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:42 AM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
here is a new vid from me and my Beast---soemtimes out of window but I bought a #11 cam for better vids comming soon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOXecAvJDvk
Count Loved the Vid real smooth, and we are your audiance now and its big. Well done
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:57 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTF Thumper View Post
Count Loved the Vid real smooth, and we are your audiance now and its big. Well done
Yeah, for us mortals, we shall try just to fly around and not crash it
Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:21 AM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
Yeah, for us mortals, we shall try just to fly around and not crash it
I am in Jackpot NV doing a little gambling I have thirty minutes till my vid is ready. I had to stay high and the vid is ok you get to see all except my inverted session. This bad ass plane loves inverted, will get lower in the next few days, no doubt.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:25 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTF Thumper View Post
I had to stay high and the vid is ok you get to see all except my inverted session.
hmm.. wouldn't staying high make your reaction times a bit too slow for the Beast?

Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:26 AM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
hmm.. wouldn't staying high make your reaction times a bit too slow for the Beast?

lol
Old Sep 04, 2011, 10:45 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Count,

Excellent flying! Another great clip!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2011, 12:37 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:

Bud, are those 240mah or 180mah? And where did you get the amber coloured tape that goes over the contacts?
They are Hyp 180s' from All-E RC.

The tape is called Kapton tape, it's what factories/manufacturers use...non conductive and very light.

I got mine from DealExtreme, they have several different widths:

http://s.dealextreme.com/search/kapton+tape

If you're going to order, add some .8mm and 1.5mm heatshrink as well...it's hard to find and really cheap from them...you'll need it eventually if you're into modding the UM brushed planes:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/5m-blac...ng-0-8mm-23454
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/5m-blac...ng-1-5mm-23455

Takes a while to receive, as they're out of China...but incredibly cheap.

Thanks Joel....I've learned all this stuff you know...but it takes a few times to stick in practice...getting old I guess.

Bud, incredibly cheap Bud
Old Sep 04, 2011, 02:03 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
They are Hyp 180s' from All-E RC.

The tape is called Kapton tape, it's what factories/manufacturers use...non conductive and very light.

I got mine from DealExtreme, they have several different widths:

http://s.dealextreme.com/search/kapton+tape
What width is a good size? Just the 20mm and cut to size?

Off-Topic: Websites like this show us how badly we get ripped off in the states/Canada.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 02:14 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
What width is a good size? Just the 20mm and cut to size?

Off-Topic: Websites like this show us how badly we get ripped off in the states/Canada.
I have the 10mm width, which seems to work good for most applications...but the 20mm would be nice to have as well...get both!

~B
Old Sep 04, 2011, 03:58 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,333 Posts
Quote:
Sorry if you mentioned it- what brand/model charger are you using?

Bud, Beastie batt arsenal at the ready Bud
I'm using the HK ECO6. Using the octopus cable's JST connector to connect to the ultra micro plugs so the cable is a bit long. Been charging these 240mah hyperions at 1A and the 180mahs at 0.9A.
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Sep 04, 2011, 04:25 PM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Much better than my last attempt

The Beast Session 3.wmv (5 min 23 sec)