SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 30, 2011, 01:53 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Off topic... sorry - this thread has kinda become my catch-all thread!

I just realized that this is a big week for me. I'm getting my new Carbon Z Yak, some repaired Babbel Batts, my replacement Sbach from HH, and the new Madden 12 Xbox 360 game all delivered to my house in one week! Yahoo!

I'm not gonna know what to play with first!!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2011, 01:58 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Madien went well. Then I managed two crashes resulting in a broken prop and spinner came off. The worst crash was caused by low light and lost orentIon good news have a great vid and the repairs have been made. Total of twelve rog and landings two were not good. Great plane but what a handful you have to fly every second, hope this gets easier. Lots of fun and right now a little stressful.
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Aug 30, 2011, 02:07 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTF Thumper View Post
Madien went well. Then I managed two crashes resulting in a broken prop and spinner came off. The worst crash was caused by low light and lost orentIon good news have a great vid and the repairs have been made. Total of twelve rog and landings two were not good. Great plane but what a handful you have to fly every second, hope this gets easier. Lots of fun and right now a little stressful.
Awesome Thumper! Yeah there are two things you need to have extras of when flying the Beast:

1. Props
2. Prop Adapters

If you don't have one in your stock left, buy some for when you eventually break them

Low light/orientation is tough to get used to on the beast. Low light is never a good thing, but orientation gets easier. Just like the UM T-28, you will be able to know where the beast will be heading if you hold a certain turn so you'll have to use your eyes less and your fingers/brain more.

Sounds like a good maiden. no major damage!

It does get easier, but it's not as quick to get a handle on as the UM T-28. Like I said before, it took me like 30 flights to get it to the point where I fly the plane instead of the plane flying me. Then it took me 100 flights to get to the point where I got comfortable with high up maneuvers and the speed/flight characteristics.. Took 120+ flights to get graceful, calm and close to the ground at low speeds instead of high up at WOT. I'm almost at the point where I feel as comfortable with the Beast as I did a month ago with the UM T-28. Almost... but still not there. I still cringe when I try inverted at under 10 feet and I still won't try KE under 20 feet, but I'm bringing it lower each day with more confidence.

I actually came out of a Split-S inverted a few times this a.m. and I was 6 inches to a foot off the ground for at least 20 feet. I didn't try to get it that low, I tried to level off at 5 feet but it sank a bit more because I didn't increase the throttle enough. It was awesome, too bad my #11 ran out of batteries. Didn't sink it
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Last edited by binaryclock; Aug 30, 2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 02:45 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,048 Posts
Quote:
Great plane but what a handful you have to fly every second, hope this gets easier. Lots of fun and right now a little stressful.
Yes... this is the characteristic a good aerobat must have. They go where you point them until you point them somewhere else. Self-stabilization is not a good thing and fortunately the Beast has none. It is a different style of flying but brings the next level of performance with it.

I had a passing couple ask me to let it fly "hands off" to see how stable it is. I couldn't... just could not make myself let go of the sticks. All my reflexes force me to be in control of the plane at all times. The Sbach is the same way only a little faster.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Aug 30, 2011, 02:46 PM
United States, NJ, Mountain Lakes
Joined Apr 2010
122 Posts
Velcro for spare batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
I always get my Velcro from business depot type stores that sell pens/paper/binders/folders for school and businesses. They usually have Velcro on an aisle that has all the fastening stuff like thumb tacks, glue, etc.

I purchase it in a roll then just use a hobby knife or scissors to cut a strip that I require.

I'd be willing to wager that Walmart even carries Velcro in a roll that you can cut in to pieces.
The velcro I've seen at the hardware stores and places like Walmart have bigger hooks and loops than the UM batteries and it doesn't work very well with the smaller velcro. It looks like the links posted to Hobby King and Horizon might do the trick.

My beast come with 3 extra velcro dots to be used for extra batteries - I used these up. I was hoping this little pack of velcro was available as a spare part I could purchase.
Scott216 is offline Find More Posts by Scott216
Old Aug 30, 2011, 02:54 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott216 View Post
The velcro I've seen at the hardware stores and places like Walmart have bigger hooks and loops than the UM batteries and it doesn't work very well with the smaller velcro. It looks like the links posted to Hobby King and Horizon might do the trick.

My beast come with 3 extra velcro dots to be used for extra batteries - I used these up. I was hoping this little pack of velcro was available as a spare part I could purchase.
http://www.velcro.ca/consumer/all-products

VELCRO® Brand ONE-WRAP® or VELCRO® Brand Reusable Ties or similar is what I use. It is similar to the stock velcro, ie the smaller hooks and loops. I attach it with double sided tape.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 30, 2011, 03:03 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Congratulations Thumper! I find landings to be the most challenging. Just now getting to where I can land on a 10/12 tarp about 30% of the time. Ha.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:11 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Huh...FYI Wholesale Trains is now listing the Beast @ $85.99...a mere $1 over their big "blowout" price:

http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detail.asp?ID=200846855
Anyone know how there prices are on shipping. I see that they give you free shipping on 150.00 or more but i am not spending that much. Shipping costs are not visable.
Thanks,Eric
eschult is offline Find More Posts by eschult
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:19 PM
I fly em', there for I am.
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Feb 2009
667 Posts
Off topic, I know but I need some help and I hope some of you bigger plane fliers can help me a bit. My Stryker and Beast have got me back into bigger planes and I'm working on a Extreme Flight Extra 300 58" Brushless. I'm having a problem with my ESC and JR 921. Hope someone can check out my thread and give me some tips.

Thanks

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1497741
SBOTI74 is offline Find More Posts by SBOTI74
Last edited by SBOTI74; Aug 30, 2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:28 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBOTI74 View Post
Off topic, I know but I need some help and I hope some of you bigger plane fliers can help me a bit. My Stryker and Beast have got me back into bigger planes and I'm working on a Extreme Flight Extra 300 58" Brushless. I'm having a problem with my ESC and JR 921. Hope someone can check out my thread and give me some tips.

Thanks

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post19185234
I can't seem to get the link to work - can you try posting it again?
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:37 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Here it is turnerm http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1497741
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:39 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott216 View Post

The stuff you get at hardware stores and Walmart actually works though, unlike the stuff they send with the planes. Get a pack for a couple of bucks and then when you get all the chincy stuff that came with the plane replaced, you won't have problems anymore.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:39 PM
I fly em', there for I am.
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Feb 2009
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
Thanks Tominator... I fixed the link in my orginal post as well..
SBOTI74 is offline Find More Posts by SBOTI74
Old Aug 30, 2011, 06:01 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Grats thumper. That's awesome glad it was successful. You'll eventually get comfortable with it and then it becomes even more fun.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Aug 30, 2011, 06:12 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
Grats thumper. That's awesome glad it was successful. You'll eventually get comfortable with it and then it becomes even more fun.
I will get the Vid up soon, BUUUT I did two alerion rolls and a big smooth loop. But as stated you cant be thinking about anything else. And at 3/4 throttle she was flying me, also got to experiance the low throtel stall with the wing wogel and no control. that was a great heads up from binaryclock just eased in more power and I mean eased in and slipped off the elevator. It was a close call had maybe 10 feet of altitude on a aborted landing.
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper