HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2011, 06:09 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
servo maint. and such...

Hmmm....well those of us that have a Blade MCPx heli are quite familiar with servo maintenance- servo contact cleaning is needed about every 200 flights or so (on that particular 'chine), carbon buildup on the tracks, just like the old Tyco slot cars. I think maybe it's because the heli setup draws a lot more current or something...

We've found that rubbing the conductive strip with a pencil eraser, then following up with denatured alcohol works best.

Stay away from WD-40 at all costs- it's a penetrant and has chemicals that are too harsh for the plastic parts.

Just a tiny drop of Triflow is what a lot of us in heli-land use after cleaning...only on the gears and teeny bearings. Walmart has a pen applicator w/ a hypodermic style tip, it's in the bikes section. I put a barely-there drop on and blot off the excess w/ a low-fuzz electronic style q-tip, or a smidge of toilet paper (absorbs the excess nicely).

I dunno...my old 4Site guts have run and run and run w/ no maintenance whatsoever for two years...these newer batches seem to have a lot more problems cropping up...things that make ya go hmmmmm...

EDIT: Ooooh, LHS emailed me...my replacement wee Beastie is here...gotta go pick it up right now! I can play w/ you'ze allz again.

Oh...O/T but....I was chatting w/ Jim Bourke...he's informed me that his full-scale prototype SBach has been written off as a total loss by the insurance company...and bought out.

On a positive note, Steve Ellison will be performing in his Extra 300 (see pic) at our local airshow tomorrow...I'll be there.

http://www.cascadeairshow.com/

Thought you guyz would enjoy some pics I took, from last years' show:

Bud, airshow bound yeee-HAW Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Last edited by maukabud; Aug 26, 2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: things and stuff
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2011, 06:16 PM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
i just "steamed" the creases on my beastie ... not bad at all!

i only got the larger iron, so getting inside the wings is a bit tough, but otherwise it worked really well, thanks!
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Old Aug 26, 2011, 06:29 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by telos81 View Post
i just "steamed" the creases on my beastie ... not bad at all!

i only got the larger iron, so getting inside the wings is a bit tough, but otherwise it worked really well, thanks!
You bet...yep the little trim iron works great inside the wings and such...

Off to the LHS now...

Bud, excited again Bud
Old Aug 26, 2011, 07:33 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
he's informed me that the full-scale SBach has been written off as a total loss by the insurance company...and bought out.
What the heck happened to the Sbach? There was just one? And this, after the Beast's demise?
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Aug 26, 2011, 07:45 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
What the heck happened to the Sbach? There was just one? And this, after the Beast's demise?
Skidded off the runway and ground looped back in April, stuck elevator. Jims' was a prototype, he wasn't the pilot when the incident happened:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1423208

'Nuff doom n gloom....Picked up my wee Beastie- good news...everything is nice n straight! Bonus: zero bubbling on the decals...even the wheel panties. Don't have to do my "steaming magic" on this one. Can't check swervos till I get home tonite...and have to set it all up for dual ailerons, etc. etc. Then off to my "big ship" airfield tomorrow for the maiden...then off to the airshow!

Haven't heard a peep from HH about ship #1 yet...

Bud, back up to 3 "small airspace" flyers again soon Bud
Last edited by maukabud; Aug 26, 2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 08:26 PM
Today's forecast: Summer
United States, GA
Joined Apr 2011
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
There's more than one, luckily.
92PathSE is offline Find More Posts by 92PathSE
Old Aug 26, 2011, 09:14 PM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
Uh...

Replace the servo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
A while back I reported of my beast starting to do loops and funny things. I originally reported that it was due to a crease in my elevator allowing one side of the elevator to raise without warning when doing things that tax the tail with pressure.

Since then I've had this issue happen a few times to me. The first time it happened I nosed the beast in the ground broke a wing, dented the nose, tore a servo... it's wasn't pretty but could have been worse. I took CF rods and glued them in all places on my elevator, and horizontal stabs trying to mitigate the issue so it doesn't happen again.

Well this morning it happened again. Slightly at first and I was able to get out of the climb/loop. Then about 5 minutes later on the next battery I was coming out of a split-s and was going to pull straight around 10 feet off the ground. My glide path for the last leg of the turn was set and I was coming around, but had to pull a bit more up... it didn't want to respond, 5 feet, now I YANK the elevator hard, nothing.. crash. Nose dented again! Now some cracks in the nose. Wing ripped again. I figured it must be that elevator bending issue again or the wind picked up and I just didn't have enough to bring her nose up.

Back to the shop to do some repairs. Took me a good hour to get everything back in shape.

I took her back to the field and I was extremely worried this would happen again so I was being extra careful. Inspecting everything on the beast, checking, rechecking, and triple checking all surfaces and throws. Suddenly when I was checking the elevator, it wasn't even responding. AHA, sticky servo. This is the first time I've been able to reproduce it on the ground. It took me a good minute to get it to respond. Finally it did, but it just made a little twitchy sound and moved like a millimeter if that. Some more coaxing of the sticks finally got it to start moving normally again. But 30 seconds later, it started glitching again, not moving on some stick movements.

So these crashes that have really messed up my poor beast are now confirmed as a sticky elevator servo. Sure I had crashed it a few times before this when I was learning its flight envelope, but I never nosed it in so hard like these last two times when the sticky servo made me crash.

I guess I feel less and more pissed at the same time. Less pissed because I now know it wasn't pilot error, wind, or a creased surface that caused these issues - it was an issue I could not control or had any control over it.

More pissed because now I know it could decide lock up at any time! ARGH. So no matter if I replace a wing, a fuselage, or whatever, it'll probably happen again and mess her up. It's a bad feeling.

I guess my only recourse here is to open her up, check the servo linkages and grease up the gears.

Just thought I'd post and let you guys know, another confirmed sticky servo on a beast. If you read back to all my posts in this thread over the last few days, you'll see that I tried not to blame a servo because I didn't ever confirm it on the ground. But now it is confirmed.

On the up-side, I didn't experience this sticky servo for 130 some-odd flights. I really have flown this bird like crazy in the last few weeks. But regardless, these servos should be a little more heavy duty so that there are less failures.

TL;DR: Another sticky servo confirmed in a UMX Beast.
kdill2160 is offline Find More Posts by kdill2160
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:10 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Anybody need a stock Beastie charger?

I seem to be accumulating more than I need...

Bud, buried in chargers Bud
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:36 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Anybody need a stock Beastie charger?

I seem to be accumulating more than I need...

Bud, buried in chargers Bud
Ya' can't GIVE them away! My LHS doesn't want them either.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:41 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
lol!

I know...mine didn't want 'em either.

I also have a Triton Jr. w/ Astro Blinky balancer and a Hobbico dual field charger been for sale over in crassifrieds for forever too, sooper cheep...hint hint..

Bud, hard times Bud
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:14 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
I just saw the BNF Beast on the HH site for $99, called the LHS and they had 1 in stock so I grabbed it. My other Beast is about 9 months old now, @ $99 I couldn't pass up that new Beast smell!
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:28 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Well I opened the Beast up and put 3in1 oil on the pinion and spur of the servo. I also made sure to put some oil on the worm gear that moves the servo head.

I'm hoping that the servo was just mechanically binding. Since I've done this I've been playing around with her and can't make it stick.. however it was rare so it may just be playing nice right now for me.

I guess I'll find out in the morning's session.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:31 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,818 Posts
went to Hobbytown and got new prop not flown it yet. still got the cut down one on it think will try it first might go fly tom. after work if not it be sunday
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:38 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
Well I opened the Beast up and put 3in1 oil on the pinion and spur of the servo. I also made sure to put some oil on the worm gear that moves the servo head.

I'm hoping that the servo was just mechanically binding. Since I've done this I've been playing around with her and can't make it stick.. however it was rare so it may just be playing nice right now for me.

I guess I'll find out in the morning's session.
make sure you wipe all that excess lube off... too much just attracts dirt and gunk....and three-in-one has some harmful penetrant style chems in it too...FYI.

Hmmm, about sticking/failing swervos...someone mentioned a while back an important point: when the servos fail, seems that they fail under load, mid-flight. Like mine did. Makes sense when ya think about...you can twiddle yer servos all you want on the ground, they work fine....but as soon as they have an air pressure load on them....weeelll, that may be a whole different story...

wind tunnel testing setup, anyone?

O/T but...this morn I had my Dualsky Breeze 30" w/s F3P ship up in my cul-de-sac...horizontal hovering straight into the wind for quite a few minutes....what a trip...then just reduce power for a heli-like stationary landing. I've found that having an F3P ship in the fleet is a great addition- fits in between the micros and the outdoor "big-boy" ships. Flies ultra slow, nice and stable for practicing extreme aerobatics. (pic)

Bud, looking around for a ginormous industrial fan Bud
Last edited by maukabud; Aug 27, 2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:45 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Beast prop trivia.
Got my new Top Flite magnetic balancer last week so of course had to play with it.

Both props that came with my Beast balanced almost perfectly.
All of the GWS 5030 and 5043 needed balancing.
Got a cut-down three blade 5030 also needed balancing. (Been doing landing practice on a tarp, stretched out over the grass. Harder than loops and rolls for sure. May put that three blade back on as it is great for slow speeds.)
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN