HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:22 PM
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Feb 2011
200 Posts
I just went from having never soldered in my life just 7 days ago, to successfully making 4 180mah 2S Hyperion batteries all on my own. So excited to try them out!

Thank you RCGroups.com / RCBabbel / Glenn @ RC connectors for all the encouragement!
joshuajcrouch is online now Find More Posts by joshuajcrouch
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:28 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Elevator creases

Quote:
WSEN, when I get the CF rods tomorrow I'll take some videos/pics of the mod. I'll also show you how the elevator was bent up and where the crease is so you guys can watch out for it.
Well Binaryclock, I just looked at my Beast and found two creases in the left horizontal stab. When I look from the front the elevator on that side looks to be raised. Wow, thanks for posting the warning. I will wait for you to sober up before showing us how you fixed yours. I am wondering if tape wrapped around the LE of the stab wouldn't do?

Name: P1010520.jpg
Views: 85
Size: 171.3 KB
Description:
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:37 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
Well Binaryclock, I just looked at my Beast and found two creases in the left horizontal stab. When I look from the front the elevator on that side looks to be raised.
It wasn't the stab that was the issue, it was the elevator. My creases are in the middle where the elevator is the most narrow. I can lift up one side (the side without the control horn on it) and it won't affect the other side :/ So my theory is that the wind or air pressure lifted that side up even though the other side was trying to control it - thus creating an uncontrollable beast. I'm 20% sure that it wasn't a servo lock-up, but I haven't ruled it out.

The first time it landed after experiencing the loop/climb issue is when I saw one side was about 1cm (approx 5/16)" higher than the other side. I straightened it out, checked the control surfaces and figured it'd be okay. I was wrong

I guess the most important thing firstly is to reinforce your elevator with a small CF rod. I'll show you how I do it tomorrow and I'll test in the field if it's not too windy. Tomorrow is supposed to be 30km/h winds :/ ugh.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/wea...lyfx_savedcity
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:12 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugMan View Post
I did this with my vinyl cutter. I wish I could make some for everyone but cutting letters that small is nearly impossible. I have not figured out a setting yet that will cut them cleanly. I probably messed up a dozen others before I finally had to start pulling each letter out that stuck and would not release cleanly. I spent over two hours just getting those two good ones. The other problem is applying the letters and peeling the application tape off without pulling paint off the plane. I got a couple small spots on mine where it pulled off, but luckily they were very tiny. A decal would be easier to apply but it would not look quite as nice. I will keep experimenting and see if I can come up with something.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

-Jack
Digimask. It just barely holds onto the vinyl.
Wookster is online now Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:14 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeane View Post
Where did you get this kit??? And do you have a build log? Is it using the 4-site rx and servos?

Looking forward to your response!
blue,

Did Bud ever reply??

http://www.dynamicfoamy.com/DYNEX%202-4.html

Build thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1193003

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:49 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
Well Binaryclock, I just looked at my Beast and found two creases in the left horizontal stab. When I look from the front the elevator on that side looks to be raised. Wow, thanks for posting the warning. I will wait for you to sober up before showing us how you fixed yours. I am wondering if tape wrapped around the LE of the stab wouldn't do?

Attachment 4232045
Still haven't been able to try to fly mine yet, thinking I may take some small diameter carbon rod I have sitting here and gluing it to the leading edge of all surfaces. Maybe also wise to glue a piece across the elevator to make sure both halves continue to move as one surface.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Aug 24, 2011, 01:26 AM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Tried a cut-down 5x3 three-bladed prop today. It was advised as a good indoor prop which I am sure it would be. A bit wimpy in the vertical department for outdoor flying.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Aug 24, 2011, 08:09 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Nope he didn't lol.

But you did. Thanks!!!
bluemeane is offline Find More Posts by bluemeane
Old Aug 24, 2011, 09:13 AM
I fly em', there for I am.
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Feb 2009
667 Posts
Good morning Beastie Beasts.. Any good flying last night or this morning?

I got one EF 120mah pack in yesterday but then I had to run in. I've been flying around with my Babbel Batts 240mahs since my Stryker is down at the moment. I didn't realize the affect of the weight difference on the plane. It was about 7-10mph winds and I wanted to see how the Beast could fly in that with the lighter 120s. It was pretty cool as I could face the plane into the wind and pretty much stay in one spot! I almost reached up and grabbed the landing gear as it hovered over my head.

Anyway, just wanted to see what's going down this morning..
SBOTI74 is offline Find More Posts by SBOTI74
Old Aug 24, 2011, 09:29 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBOTI74 View Post
Good morning Beastie Beasts.. Any good flying last night or this morning?

I got one EF 120mah pack in yesterday but then I had to run in. I've been flying around with my Babbel Batts 240mahs since my Stryker is down at the moment. I didn't realize the affect of the weight difference on the plane. It was about 7-10mph winds and I wanted to see how the Beast could fly in that with the lighter 120s. It was pretty cool as I could face the plane into the wind and pretty much stay in one spot! I almost reached up and grabbed the landing gear as it hovered over my head.

Anyway, just wanted to see what's going down this morning..
I got out early after days of wind but lost orientation and plonked into the grass and broke one wing support and pulled the cross carbon braces off so had to cut the day short. Nothing not easily fixed with a bit of CA though.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 24, 2011, 09:37 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
I asked this a while back, but would like to ask again. Has anyone done a full wing replacement on the beast yet? And if you have, how difficult was it to perform? How are the current wings held on? double sided sticky tape? When I tried to remove the wing from my UM T-28 to replace the fuse, I had to end up breaking the fuse right off the wing to get the wing off in one piece.

I ask this because the main wing is the only part really that is going to break that is part of the air frame and it's like $13 or something. Any videos on wing replacement either?
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Aug 24, 2011, 09:39 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,114 Posts
I went out flying last night just after/around dusk with my Beast w/SFdesigns lights on it, and had a BLAST!! I only flew two batts through he due to HORRIBLE mosquitoes

But she was a lot of fun with the lights on. I didn't try too much with her because it was getting dark and was my first time at night with the lights on, but boy did they help!!

I had several successful landings/taxis/takeoffs on the pavement at the local school/park. Something I hadn't done much of yet, and I blame that on the fact I have some flaps on her now!! Seems to make her easier to land, comes in nice an slow.

I am thinking of picking up a UM Stryker.... If I can fly the beast without any issues I should be ok with the Stryker right?? Whats the general Opinion on that?

- I have been flying 4 channel planes for well over 3 years now, just not anything hardcore, just mostly scale flying and a bit of aerobatic stuff here and there.
bluemeane is offline Find More Posts by bluemeane
Old Aug 24, 2011, 09:58 AM
Areoplain Chapmion Flire
Melbourne Australia
Joined Aug 2010
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
I asked this a while back, but would like to ask again. Has anyone done a full wing replacement on the beast yet? And if you have, how difficult was it to perform? How are the current wings held on? double sided sticky tape? When I tried to remove the wing from my UM T-28 to replace the fuse, I had to end up breaking the fuse right off the wing to get the wing off in one piece.

I ask this because the main wing is the only part really that is going to break that is part of the air frame and it's like $13 or something. Any videos on wing replacement either?

very fiddly and easy to botch if you don't take careful notice of certain parts. The two plastic parts that fit on top of the Cabane must only be fitted one way due to the orientation of the strut slots. I put them on back to front. No good.
Mister Gun is offline Find More Posts by Mister Gun
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:00 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeane View Post
I am thinking of picking up a UM Stryker.... If I can fly the beast without any issues I should be ok with the Stryker right?? Whats the general Opinion on that?

- I have been flying 4 channel planes for well over 3 years now, just not anything hardcore, just mostly scale flying and a bit of aerobatic stuff here and there.
If you can keep yourself oriented, and after 3 years of flying I'm sure you can, and lay off the throttle (keep it at 1/2 max) for the first few flights, you should be FINE with the Stryker.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:03 AM
I fly em', there for I am.
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Feb 2009
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
If you can keep yourself oriented, and after 3 years of flying I'm sure you can, and lay off the throttle (keep it at 1/2 max) for the first few flights, you should be FINE with the Stryker.
+1. The UM Stryker 180 is a great plane! You can keep it slow and on low rates, she's a kitten.
SBOTI74 is offline Find More Posts by SBOTI74