HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:44 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
Yeah. I was flying it in 10km/h winds tonight so I think it finally gave way and that is what did me in.

I'm not 100% sure it wasn't a stuck elevator issue, but the elevator seemed fine when I checked it both times on the ground. The first time I was also able to push up on the elevator to neutralize the climb so it couldn't have been a stuck elevator in my situation.

One thing is for certain, when I get my new beast from my LHS, I'll be putting CF rods on the elevator.
Can you describe or better yet show just where on the elevator you are putting them?
Thanks
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:49 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
Can you describe or better yet show just where on the elevator you are putting them?
Thanks
WSEN, when I get the CF rods tomorrow I'll take some videos/pics of the mod. I'll also show you how the elevator was bent up and where the crease is so you guys can watch out for it.

I love this plane so much. Only if HH would make all their UMX $99, I'd have them all. But the SBach is $169, that's crazy for a UMX when I can get a 1400mm T-28 from FMS with lights, retracts, etc for $220.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:54 PM
Loud and proud!
USA, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2010
89 Posts
Quote:
Also, don't try to pavement land it at first. Just set your flaps up on your controller and plop it slowly on the grass.
I was going to try pavement landings because of the lg but that sounds like a better idea (I'm asking for help for a reason). I have a dx6i and haven't ever set flaps. Whats a good flap setting for the beast?
FuzzballOfDoom is offline Find More Posts by FuzzballOfDoom
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:55 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzballOfDoom View Post
I was going to try pavement landings because of the lg but that sounds like a better idea (I'm asking for help for a reason). I have a dx6i and haven't ever set flaps. Whats a good flap setting for the beast?
I use 35 \/ down flaps, and 2 /\ up elevator. There is a tutorial on how to set flaps for the beast somewhere on these forums. Someone have a link for this gentleman?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:57 PM
Elida, Ohio
Joined Apr 2010
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
Sweet.....you should make us some
I did this with my vinyl cutter. I wish I could make some for everyone but cutting letters that small is nearly impossible. I have not figured out a setting yet that will cut them cleanly. I probably messed up a dozen others before I finally had to start pulling each letter out that stuck and would not release cleanly. I spent over two hours just getting those two good ones. The other problem is applying the letters and peeling the application tape off without pulling paint off the plane. I got a couple small spots on mine where it pulled off, but luckily they were very tiny. A decal would be easier to apply but it would not look quite as nice. I will keep experimenting and see if I can come up with something.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

-Jack
MugMan is offline Find More Posts by MugMan
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:59 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugMan View Post
I will keep experimenting and see if I can come up with something.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

-Jack
You did a great job. We all admire your work. Let us know if you find a good way to reproduce this easily.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:05 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
I'm down for two sets if ya get 'em going, Jack.

I run American flags on the rudders/tailfins of all my ships (just like the Beast has), in tribute to my father, a veteran, who is no longer with us...and indeed for all vets.

Bud, respectful Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Last edited by maukabud; Aug 23, 2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:16 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
I use 35 \/ down flaps, and 2 /\ up elevator. There is a tutorial on how to set flaps for the beast somewhere on these forums. Someone have a link for this gentleman?
Here is one. I thought there was another more specific to the Beast but cannot find it now.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1195810
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:28 PM
Buffalos have wings
Vancouver Washington
Joined Nov 2007
2,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
Well it looks like I've been bitten by the stuck elevator servo issue. Would not let me pull out of a dive and nosed it in at almost full throttle. Nose is almost torn off and bottom wing almost torn off on both sides. Very very disappointed since I haven't had the plane that long at all. I took damage pictures and emailed horizon when I got home and attached my purchase reciept which was only 3 weeks ago. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow as well. The fuse and wing is probably repairable but if the servo is screwy then it'll just happen again. Ugh. So frustrated.

On the plus side I did have 1 amazing looking tumble before the elevator issues. Lol wish I had that on video because it looked awesome.
Send it back with the form you can download off their site, give a detailed descrption of what happened and how it caused your crash....Tell them your plane was perfect before this issue....Same thing happened to me about 6 months ago and they sent me a new plane, this one has been working great.
Tatonka is offline Find More Posts by Tatonka
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:28 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
grumble grumble grumble.

Got my connex from Glenn...guess I can build up my 4 (X2) Hyps, you know...for my Beasts...the ones I don't have.

Bud, grumbling Bud
I thought you got the beast?

J
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:39 PM
Loud and proud!
USA, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2010
89 Posts
Quote:
I found one!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3099
It looks promising. Hopefully I can charge my batteries soon...
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:51 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
I thought you got the beast?

J
Eh one back to HH for repair/replace (bad swervos), one picked up @# LHS yesterday and taken right back...scroll back and looky the pics of the empennage- crooked as a politician.

~B
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:56 PM
Joined Jun 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzballOfDoom View Post
Hopefully I can charge my batteries soon...
You might be able to get by with a car battery charger, just keep the leads far apart. I might also have a 12V car adapter, and not one that has selectable voltage. They usually don't have enough amps. Worst case you could buy or build one from Radio Shack. If you charge in the car in your car you should put it in a ceramic pot. While the batteries are small and it is unlikely it would catch fire, I have still heard of issues with batteries this small.
pkquat is offline Find More Posts by pkquat
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:59 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
After starting to repair my plane after the elevator issue, I'm not sure the issue was the crease in the elevator. But I'm also not convinced it was a sticking servo issue. I'm confused now. I repaired the wings, but I'm a little too tipsy with beer right now to glue the aileron servo back on or glue the one CF wing rod back on so I'll wait to do that in the morning. Once that is done I'll have to put the elevator servo through the paces tomorrow and see if I can get it to malfunction. I'm still reinforcing the elevator. I'll show you the condition it is in before and after the mod and you guys can make an informed opinion if you think the creased elevator could of caused the plane to climb and loop.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:18 PM
Loud and proud!
USA, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2010
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkquat View Post
You might be able to get by with a car battery charger, just keep the leads far apart. I might also have a 12V car adapter, and not one that has selectable voltage. They usually don't have enough amps. Worst case you could buy or build one from Radio Shack. If you charge in the car in your car you should put it in a ceramic pot. While the batteries are small and it is unlikely it would catch fire, I have still heard of issues with batteries this small.
I know my friend has a 12V battery I could use, would that work?