HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:11 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Had a bad elevator issue just a few minutes ago. I was flying and suddenly all the beast wanted to do is climb. So I cut the throttle pushed full elevator down and kept bringing her down and down and got her on the ground safely.

I looked at the elevator and it looked like one side was curved up more than the other. I bent it back in to shape and it looked fine. I should have stopped there, but didn't. I sent her back up and she was fine for about 30 seconds, then boom, climbing again. I cut the throttle to bring her in again and was about to contact the back of a baseball diamond fence so I hit the throttle again, sent her back up and over, then I noticed she was going towards some houses bordering the park. I had one choice, bring her down quick so I did. I tried to pull up but it came down HARD. UGH. I slowly did the walk of shame and was expecting the worse.

Well it wasn't as bad as I thought. Prop broken, one wing torn off, and front of fuselage dented a bit. All repairable. I really find it hard to believe that the fuselage is still in one piece. That hit was hard, like 30mph nose in from like 50 feet in the air because I really had zero control and ran out of options due to the houses coming up. I still think sinking it like that was better than hitting a house or roofing it.

I should of taken heed and brought her in for the night as soon as I noticed the issue with the elevator. Live and learn eh. At least it was a crash not due to pilot error, but it still could of been prevented. Nothing that can't be fixed in 10 minutes though, ready for the next sessions tomorrow morning.. ohh wait, I won't be able to reinforce that elevator.

Funny, because I had a piece of small CF rod in my hands today at the LHS. I didn't buy it... sigh. Ohh well, tomorrow's morning session is off. At least I can sleep in past 6:00am

If I were you guys, I'd reinforce the elevator with a small piece of CF rod before this happens to you It sucks to lose control of the elevator.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Last edited by binaryclock; Aug 23, 2011 at 07:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:18 PM
United States, MD, Lexington Park
Joined Mar 2011
99 Posts
yes but I live in an apt so ladders are hard to come by in a business comples unless they are nice and work with me. I will have to get off work early tomorrow and contact them and ask.
(This on top of the earthquake that hit here today, shoud prove to be intresting!)

Bruce...
BruceL is offline Find More Posts by BruceL
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:20 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
Had a bad elevator issue just a few minutes ago. I was flying and suddenly all the beast wanted to do is climb. So I cut the throttle pushed full elevator down and kept bringing her down and down and got her on the ground safely.

I looked at the elevator and it looked like one side was curved up more than the other. I bent it back in to shape and it looked fine. I should have stopped there, but didn't. I sent her back up and she was fine for about 30 seconds, then boom, climbing again. I cut the throttle to bring her in again and was about to contact the back of a baseball diamond fence so I hit the throttle again, sent her back up and over, then I noticed she was going towards some houses bordering the park. I had one choice, bring her down quick so I did. I tried to pull up but it came down HARD. UGH. I slowly did the walk of shame and was expecting the worse.

Well it wasn't as bad as I thought. Prop broken, one wing torn off, and front of fuselage dented a bit. All repairable. I really find it hard to believe that the fuselage is still in one piece. That hit was hard, like 30mph nose in from like 50 feet in the air because I really had zero control and ran out of options due to the houses coming up. I still think sinking it like that was better than hitting a house or roofing it.

I should of taken heed and brought her in for the night as soon as I noticed the issue with the elevator. Live and learn eh. At least it was a crash not due to pilot error, but it still could of been prevented. Nothing that can't be fixed in 10 minutes though, ready for the next sessions tomorrow morning.. ohh wait, I won't be able to reinforce that elevator.

Funny, because I had a piece of small CF rod in my hands today at the LHS. I didn't buy it... sigh. Ohh well, tomorrow's morning session is off. At least I can sleep in past 6:00am

If I were you guys, I'd reinforce the elevator with a small piece of CF rod before this happens to you It sucks to lose control of the elevator.
Are you sure that the horizontal stab didn't just come unglued from the support brace? This happened to both of mine over time.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:37 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Are you sure that the horizontal stab didn't just come unglued from the support brace? This happened to both of mine over time.
Pretty sure. the elevator on the left side was actually bent up at a crease. I don't know why I didn't call it a night. I was stupid to send her back up. I'll go look at her in a bit and check the stab though - good call.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:37 PM
Loud and proud!
USA, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2010
89 Posts
Just got a beast today, so I can officially join this thread! Unfortunately, I didn't realize I had the wrong wall adapter for the charger so I can't actually fly it yet . Is there anything in particular that I should keep in mind when I finally get it in the air?
FuzzballOfDoom is offline Find More Posts by FuzzballOfDoom
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:42 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzballOfDoom View Post
Just got a beast today, so I can officially join this thread! Unfortunately, I didn't realize I had the wrong wall adapter for the charger so I can't actually fly it yet . Is there anything in particular that I should keep in mind when I finally get it in the air?
set all expo to 60% and throws can be 100%, but take it easy don't go crazy and fly in ZERO wind. Even after about 130 flights on the beast, i still find the most minor of winds 5km/h+ can make this beast twitch around. A twitchy beast due to wind is NOT a good thing It does handle the wind well at WOT, but you really can't perform good maneuvers or even nice steady flight with breezes. Well, not at steady as one would like with an aerobatic plane.

If you fly in wind when you're just learning, you will crash. Also, don't try to pavement land it at first. Just set your flaps up on your controller and plop it slowly on the grass. Many accidents happen when a new person with a beast tries to bring it down on pavement. You have to first learn the plane's glide path, stall characteristics and flight envelope before trying to land nicely. The prop is extremely breakable and so is the prop adapter. If you can, order some spare props and prop adapters so when you do break yours, you won't be grounded until they arrive.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:47 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
I don't know why I didn't call it a night. I was stupid to send her back up.
SOOOO hard to do... Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

At least brand new Beast is only $99!!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:54 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
SOOOO hard to do... Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

At least brand new Beast is only $99!!
Yeah, I knew a week ago that I'd be getting a new beast once I learn how to fly this one. But I still didn't want to have an elevator issue that made it uncontrollable

I haven't crashed this thing in like 50 flights now until now - and I've been doing KEs, inverted flights, quite a few things that are more advanced so I've got a great handle on this plane now and I'm very happy. I'd be pissed if it was pilot error, but since it wasn't - I'm really not too mad - just taking it as a lesson to pack it in next time.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:00 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I knew a week ago that I'd be getting a new beast once I learn how to fly this one. But I still didn't want to have an elevator issue that made it uncontrollable

I haven't crashed this thing in like 50 flights now until now - and I've been doing KEs, inverted flights, quite a few things that are more advanced so I've got a great handle on this plane now and I'm very happy. I'd be pissed if it was pilot error, but since it wasn't - I'm really not too mad - just taking it as a lesson to pack it in next time.
This plane is, without a doubt, responsible for advancing my skills more than any other plane of mine. I love it!!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:03 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
grumble grumble grumble.

Got my connex from Glenn...guess I can build up my 4 (X2) Hyps, you know...for my Beasts...the ones I don't have.

Nice work as usual Glenn...thanks! (Bud, too lazy and too many projects for much micro-soldering/crimping Bud)

Bud, grumbling Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Last edited by maukabud; Aug 23, 2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:04 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Well it looks like I've been bitten by the stuck elevator servo issue. Would not let me pull out of a dive and nosed it in at almost full throttle. Nose is almost torn off and bottom wing almost torn off on both sides. Very very disappointed since I haven't had the plane that long at all. I took damage pictures and emailed horizon when I got home and attached my purchase reciept which was only 3 weeks ago. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow as well. The fuse and wing is probably repairable but if the servo is screwy then it'll just happen again. Ugh. So frustrated.

On the plus side I did have 1 amazing looking tumble before the elevator issues. Lol wish I had that on video because it looked awesome.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:06 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
This plane is, without a doubt, responsible for advancing my skills more than any other plane of mine. I love it!!
Hmm.. I'd have to hand that award to probably my UM T-28. Even though the beast had made it possible for me to advance my skill set with a more capable plane, I'd by lying if I said it helped me more than the UM T-28. The UM T-28 really got my head around how the UMs move through the air, the movements involved to get out of sticky situations, inverted flight, split-S, imm turns, etc.

The beast just allowed me to advance the skills greatly. It is my favourite plane by far, but the good ole' UM T-28 won my heart over and I can't turn my head on her
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:21 PM
Today's forecast: Summer
United States, GA
Joined Apr 2011
224 Posts
Quote:
Pretty sure. the elevator on the left side was actually bent up at a crease. I don't know why I didn't call it a night. I was stupid to send her back up. I'll go look at her in a bit and check the stab though - good call.
Mine has a crease like that. I don't know when or how it happened, but it hasn't seemed to affect anything over about 10 flights. I'll keep my eye on it now, that's for sure.
92PathSE is offline Find More Posts by 92PathSE
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:35 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92PathSE View Post
Mine has a crease like that. I don't know when or how it happened, but it hasn't seemed to affect anything over about 10 flights. I'll keep my eye on it now, that's for sure.
Yeah. I was flying it in 10km/h winds tonight so I think it finally gave way and that is what did me in.

I'm not 100% sure it wasn't a stuck elevator issue, but the elevator seemed fine when I checked it both times on the ground. The first time I was also able to push up on the elevator to neutralize the climb so it couldn't have been a stuck elevator in my situation.

One thing is for certain, when I get my new beast from my LHS, I'll be putting CF rods on the elevator.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:39 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,318 Posts
I have not had any kind of servo issues with my servos. Guess im lucky...

And now watch it'll prolly happen
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane