SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 09, 2010, 08:08 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJappa View Post
Since I first saw this UMX I thought it would be sweet to have an UMX Extra, Edge, or SU-29. Maybe a tad bigger than the current 15" WS but below 20" so it's not slow. I want something fast with real climbing power as shown in the Beast vid. I was disappointed at the speed of the SU-26xp when I got it. An UMX EDF would definitely find it's way to my micro hangar, especially an F-86. The rumored pylon racer would be nice for speed but given the choice I'd rather have a fast stunt plane and an EDF to cover the bases of what I want from a micro plane. If they did an UMX Extra it would be the first plane I would preorder without hesitation.
The sukhoi xp is too slow for you? Did you put a 5043 prop on it? It will make it go faster! Right now my sukhoi xp has a 5043 prop and it covers the park pretty well. If you are flying at a field then the sukhoi xp would look slow.
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2010, 09:29 PM
Bomb Trails, Not People
United States, VA, Stephens City
Joined Sep 2010
243 Posts
Yeah, I've had the 5043 on it for a while now. I had the 26M with one before that, the xp was faster but not by a whole lot. Granted it gets a little shakey at times so I'm not sure how much speed it could take. When it's windy and I'm doing WOT downwind it gets going pretty fast but I like to fly in decent wind with it, I'm not great at guesssing windspeeds but I'd say around 10-15mph. I just take the gear off and float it in as soft as possible upwind. There's a pretty decent open space in front of my house around the size of a football field, the micros are perfect since there are houses around. Anything way faster than the xp would be pushing it there but I would like something faster than the sukhoi. I'm gonna get The Beast of course since it's not only a nice looking plane but it looks pretty fast and strong in the vid. It takes forever to get the sukhoi up to a few hundred feet.
MoJappa is offline Find More Posts by MoJappa
Old Sep 09, 2010, 10:05 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,480 Posts
My dad flew a P-38L-5 out of the Aleutian Islands after the war, so I'd definitely cough up 200 bucks for a Lightning with counter-rotating 3-blade props and a proper semi-symmetrical airfoil. My first choice for a b/l warbird would be a UM Jug - given that my dad flew Jugs for 61 missions in Italy (Po Valley) with the 345th FS (Devilhawks), 350th FG, 12th AF. Preferably a bubbletop 'D' with an airfoil as forgiving as the full-scale Jug, a semi-scale 4-blade prop - and enough power to provide a scale-like representation of top speed as compared to the other UM warbirds.

A bit off-topic - but I'm anxiously awaiting the delivery of my UM Beast. Being a Minnesotan, I have never actually wished for the end of October to hurry up & get here - until now.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Sep 09, 2010, 11:12 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,333 Posts
your pops flew a P-47? nice..... water injected with fuel for leaning it out correct?

Were they not the warbirds that would climb like crazy while boggies followed and stalled out when atmosphere became too thin? Then the P-47 would turn around, dive after the enemy and bang.... see ya later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
My dad flew a P-38L-5 out of the Aleutian Islands after the war, so I'd definitely cough up 200 bucks for a Lightning with counter-rotating 3-blade props and a proper semi-symmetrical airfoil. My first choice for a b/l warbird would be a UM Jug - given that my dad flew Jugs for 61 missions in Italy (Po Valley) with the 345th FS (Devilhawks), 350th FG, 12th AF. Preferably a bubbletop 'D' with an airfoil as forgiving as the full-scale Jug, a semi-scale 4-blade prop - and enough power to provide a scale-like representation of top speed as compared to the other UM warbirds.

A bit off-topic - but I'm anxiously awaiting the delivery of my UM Beast. Being a Minnesotan, I have never actually wished for the end of October to hurry up & get here - until now.

Joel
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Sep 09, 2010, 11:16 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,380 Posts
I want to see how high the UMX beast can fly! The sukhoi xp has around a hundred feet vertical(measured a 60' about double its hight, subtract 10' for error and other variables.) After that I lose my orientation and the sukhoi xp runs out of airspeed. In the video teh beast climbed pretty fast!
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Sep 10, 2010, 02:32 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
your pops flew a P-47? nice..... water injected with fuel for leaning it out correct?

Were they not the warbirds that would climb like crazy while boggies followed and stalled out when atmosphere became too thin? Then the P-47 would turn around, dive after the enemy and bang.... see ya later.
Yes, my dad flew Jugs. His last one had the 'compressibility flaps' to help pull out of the scary-fast dives the plane was capable of. Dad flew air-to-ground. Mostly anti-tank, anti-train, and close air-support. He carried bombs and rockets. The Jug was the first US multi-role fighter. And, yes the Jug used water/alcohol injection for its War Emergency Power. It acts like a second intercooler. When the water/alcohol spray meets the hot compressed air, it instantly vaporizes, thereby cooling the intake charge significantly, which dramatically increases the knock-limited power. I also use it on my hot-rod.

To quote my dad, hitting WEP in the Jug "felt like getting kicked in the ass with a freight-train".

At high-altitude, the later Jugs with the paddle-blade prop could out-climb, outrun, and out-turn anything in the air back then. The only plane faster in level flight was the ME 262, which the Jug could easily out-maneuver and out-dive. (ME 163 Komet not withstanding.) There was absolutely nothing that could get away from a Jug in a dive - not even the ME 262. And nothing could climb up to get it if the pilot chose to to take her upstairs. The Jug's service ceiling was 43k feet!

The P&W R-2800 in the Jug is one unbelievable engine. The airframe was designed around the engine and its huge turbocharger/intercooler system. There is a story about Frank Walker - the inventor of water-injection - the P&W test engineer that kept on wringing more & more power from the R-2800 engine until he managed a staggering 3800 HP!! That was at a nearly impossible to comprehend 150" Hg of manifold pressure! Oh - and that wasn't your typical dyno pull that some dragster engine would do. This dyno run lasted for 100 hours - non-stop!! The government spec for war-emergency power was 5 hrs in 5 min cycles alternating between War Emergency Power and a fast idle. Then it was run for 2.5 hrs at a steady WEP rating. P&W didn't think that was good enough for our guys, so they tested to 100 hours @ WEP. Oh - and Frank used the same engine for all of his testing, and never blew it up.

I have recently read that some of the P-47 pilots were seeing 500 MPH+ in level flight when their crew chiefs cranked up the boost. Especially some of Hub Zemke's 56th F/G guys. Supposedly, the RPMs mentioned in some of their accounts mathematically translate to 500 MPH+ speeds in level flight when everything is accounted for. They likely owe their lives to a guy working in a P&W test cell named Frank Walker....who simply wouldn't stop at 'just good enough'.

Regarding the Jug's legendary ruggedness - my dad once flew home with two cylinders completely missing from the block, after a tank round exploded in front of his plane during a low pass. One of his squadron-mates flew through a small forest and still managed to pull up, fly home, and land safely.

Here are a few battle-damage pics from my dad's FG. The first one flew through a small forest at high speed. The second one suffered "a bit of flak damage" - as the pilot so causally put it. The pilot in the third pic only suffered cuts & bruises.

See the PDF for the story of Frank Walker & the P&W R2800.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Sep 10, 2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 02:49 AM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Fascinating reading Joel...thanks!

I have a book on Aircraft carriers...one picture I've often wondered about...it's a pic of a "baby flat top" (Casablanca class I think...I'll have to look when I get home)...and ranged on the deck ready for take off are....P-47s'!! (wonder how they managed the non-cat takeoff roll?) One would assume that they were destined for land bases and CAS duty...I think it may even have been taken during the Battle of Samar...it shows the splashes of the huge Japanese battleship guns straddling it...getting range..

Aha! Found one (a different one!)... (CVE Sargent Bay) interesting:

http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/heroes...dhistory.shtml

Sorry O/T..lol...but hey, interesting reading. So...howz 'bout dat Beast?

Bud, bored at work Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Sep 10, 2010, 03:06 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Fascinating reading Joel...thanks!

I have a book on Aircraft carriers...one picture I've often wondered about...it's a pic of a "baby flat top" (Casablanca class I think...I'll have to look when I get home)...and ranged on the deck ready for take off are....P-47s'!! (wonder how they managed the non-cat takeoff roll?) One would assume that they were destined for land bases and CAS duty...I think it may even have been taken during the Battle of Samar...it shows the splashes of the huge Japanese battleship guns straddling it...getting range..

Aha! Found one (a different one!)... (CVE Sargent Bay) interesting:

http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/heroes...dhistory.shtml

Sorry O/T..lol...but hey, interesting reading. So...howz 'bout dat Beast?

Bud, bored at work Bud
Bud,

Thanks!

Ah, yes - the 'carrier Jugs'. If I remember correctly, the ship was @ flank speed head-on into the wind, and the Jugs used WEP on takeoff (not factory-blessed). If a bunch of B-25s could make it off a carrier, I guess it's easy to believe that a Jug could do it. However, landing a Jug on a carrier would be a completely different story.

I am reminded of some old Jug humor. 'How much runway does a Thunderbolt need? All of it!'

Oh yeah - still waiting for my Beast to arrive!

Joel
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:30 AM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
I'd say the biggest problem with EDF's is current draw. The small ones pull a lot of amps, for a modest output. The run times are pretty underwhelming. The battery requirements are pretty stringent, as well. 3S packs are required. You end up with a pretty (relatively) heavy micro. Some day we'll see 'em. Not right now, I'm guessing.
MR2
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Sep 10, 2010, 08:17 AM
Bomb Trails, Not People
Joined Sep 2010
243 Posts
A year or two and they'll be more doable I would assume.

Thanks for the good read Turboparker, the P-47 is one of my favorite planes from the war, an UMX Thunderbolt (D) would also be in my micro hangar the day it's released. Pretty soon we'll nearly be able to fully recreate the air war over Europe using only HH warbirds.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:08 AM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Add me to the " gotta have a UM Jug" list. I really like the Razorback models, though. It'd be nice if they made two canopies, one bubble, and one with the "spine". Make them attach magnetically so you can swap them out.
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:22 AM
Bomb Trails, Not People
Joined Sep 2010
243 Posts
Good thinking, the best of both worlds. I like the canopies on the Razorbacks as much as the bubble, not true for the P-51's though. I've never been too ond of the A and B series P-51's.

As far as twin engines I'd crap if they made a P-38 but I think something like the HE-111 would be a nice departure from the typical warbirds, though I imagine the clear nose would be a weak point, then again it's not supposed to hit anything but air so what can you expect.

Hopefuly the Beast is out sooner than te end of Oct. but whenever it comes out I'll have one.
Last edited by MoJappa; Sep 10, 2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:23 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Thanks for the interesting stuff on the P-47. The Frank Walker PDF was good reading too, and I learned a lot about engines. Always heard about water injection, now I understand why it worked.

I have a friend whose father also flew them. They were at Geneso, NY years ago for a fly-in and his father helped a guy with his P-47, and my friend still talks about it with pride.

The big round front is a natural for a brushless, maybe HH will consider that.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:37 AM
We Do It With FRQZ
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2009
2,152 Posts
http://www.2dogrc.com/product-kit/ax...ultimate-combo

Heres ur micro edf
dkintx is offline Find More Posts by dkintx
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:10 PM
Bomb Trails, Not People
Joined Sep 2010
243 Posts
Yeah, I've seen that before. Actually I linked to it in a thread on helifreak about micro EDF's. I am not a big fan of the look of it but it looks like it hauls in the vids I've seen.