SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 22, 2011, 04:01 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
That's a fatty piece...you could've gone a lot lighter gauge and saved some weight.
It's all I had. But you know what, it is really light anyways.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2011, 04:03 PM
The woods
Joined Feb 2011
104 Posts
I got 6:30 out of one so far but it was not at the LVC and I was running a 5x3. I usually run a 5x4.3 and that drops it a fair amount also.
scribble79 is offline Find More Posts by scribble79
Old Aug 22, 2011, 04:27 PM
Joined May 2010
56 Posts
R.I.P. to the Real Beast.

Flying can be and will be, sometimes, Dangerous! Areobatics evenmore so. But the love of flying real, and Rc, is what everyone on this website, and yes Brian had. To all who love the sky, and sometimes give the ultimate sacrifice!, My Beast with always fly in His, and that beautiful aircrafts honor.

Gods speed, and long live "The Beast in all of us.
snoidslap75 is offline Find More Posts by snoidslap75
Old Aug 22, 2011, 04:59 PM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
On the sordid side- I wonder if unflown Beasts' will become valuable collectors items, worth thousands....
Are you thinking they will stop making the UMX Beast now?

I hope not ... Someone else suggested they may change or add a decal as a tribute - but I certainly hope they don't stop making it.
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Old Aug 22, 2011, 05:17 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Beautiful morning in Twin.
70 with a light breeze.
Only brought one plane to the field today.
Makes choosing 'what plane to fly next' a simple task.
Decided to fly 'air-show' style.
Normally I fly alone without spectators.
This morning was different.
Five city Park & Rec workers were on the scene.
I gave a couple of them a brief Beast history lesson and let the UM air-show begin.
Had to smile as I heard one of them explaining the full size Beast accident to his co-workers during my flight.
They were all very respectful and silent during the flight.
As soon as I landed, they all got back to work.

Flights 306~310 were for you Brian.
The Beast lives on!

rc
Roger,

Great story.

I'm going to pick up a third UMX Beast to keep as a display model. Of course, I'll maiden him first. Just wouldn't seem right without flying the bird at least once.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2011, 05:21 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by telos81 View Post
Are you thinking they will stop making the UMX Beast now?

I hope not ... Someone else suggested they may change or add a decal as a tribute - but I certainly hope they don't stop making it.
Dunno...prolly not...I'm just flip-flopping back and forth, thinking about it. But if HH does stop production, good chance NIB Beasts' will become collectors items.

Just brought my NIB #2 wee Beastie home, placed lovingly in the hanger/shop/garage...out doing kid-stuff now...didn't want to leave it in the car...it's topping out @ an oven-like 89F today here....and blowin'.

~Bud, waiting to "maukabud-ize" his newest ship Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Aug 22, 2011, 05:38 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Roger,

Great story.

I'm going to pick up a third UMX Beast to keep as a display model. Of course, I'll maiden him first. Just wouldn't seem right without flying the bird at least once.

Joel

Joel,

Was a great morning.
Had a different feel to it.

--------------------------------

Does a single maiden flight, exempt it from 'hanger queen/king' status??

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:00 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Joel,

Was a great morning.
Had a different feel to it.

--------------------------------

Does a single maiden flight, exempt it from 'hanger queen/king' status??

rc
RC,

I'll take Beast #3 up for a couple of flights, just to be sure he doesn't become my first hangar king.

BTW - have you played around with the CG very much? Wondering how far aft you've gone with it, and if you've found a good setting for 3D. I've been mostly flying with a neutral CG to minimize coupling during KE - which seems to be around 19-20mm on mine.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:15 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,507 Posts
Quote:
Good idea AGG BLUE about breaking in/testing....I'll be sitting watchin' TV tonite, flexing away on the new Beastie swervos.
Is there something I should know about this breaking in, flexing process I'm randomly seeing?

I'll be getting my Beast in 2 days!
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:38 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,599 Posts
[QUOTE=maukabud;19114759]+1!

I often bring just one ship. Allows one to concentrate on the flight charactersitics etc. and work on perfecting technique w/ just one specific 'chine.

For my tribute flights yest'day, a Mormon family gathered, in their Sunday best. After landing, a round of hearfelt applause...I felt kind of like an airshow pilot must feel...humbled, but happy and a lil proud.

I plan on putting magnets in my canopy covers, once I need to slice the tape to get inside my two Beasties. Got a nice set of small ones from Dollar Tree.

Speaking of that...I head over to my LHS to pick up my brand spanking new #2 Beastie today.

We're doing the right thing..."carrying the sport", as my hockey buds would say...keeping the art alive.

Dynex just about done, just waiting on motor mount from Amain, rudder/linkage install, and tweakage. (my 4Site guts live on Rj.)

FrankenDysite??

Does it suck dirt too?

rc
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:47 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
RC,

I'll take Beast #3 up for a couple of flights, just to be sure he doesn't become my first hangar king.

BTW - have you played around with the CG very much? Wondering how far aft you've gone with it, and if you've found a good setting for 3D. I've been mostly flying with a neutral CG to minimize coupling during KE - which seems to be around 19-20mm on mine.

Joel

Joel,

I love the Beast batt tray because changing cg locations is so easy.
Neutral cg for KE.

I take it back to the 23~25mm range when I'm flying in calm with 2S 120s.
She/He will slow down to a crawl on landing.
Very tolerant of rear cg locations.
Fun & snappy!

rc
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:53 PM
I fly em', there for I am.
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Feb 2009
667 Posts
Oh man, you guys are going to make me grab another Beast.. I didn't plan on it as I love the one I have and I have plenty of other projects I'm working on but I may do as some of you have done. Grab a new one, give her a maiden and then up on the shelf she will perch... For $99, it's hard to say no. And I wonder if his family get's anything from HH when they sell the Beasts? Anyone know?
SBOTI74 is online now Find More Posts by SBOTI74
Old Aug 22, 2011, 07:39 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
So I want to learn tumbling with my wheee beastie. Anyone have a good link that talks about how to accomplish these sorts of maneuvers. While not being perfect with alot of the more basic stuff I am ready to move into the slightly crazier aerobatics. Lol.

Did go out last night and fight the breeze in honor of Brian and his flying. Was pretty sad to see that happen to a great pilot and airplane.

Fly them crazy boys and girls and remember where the inspiration came from for this wonderful UMX.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Last edited by Aaeolien; Aug 22, 2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 07:57 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
A bit off topic... But I would LOVE a park size foam Beast!!! I'd even take a balsa 44" wingspan Beast but I'd prefer foam.

How SWEET would that be??!
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Aug 22, 2011, 07:59 PM
Park Stormer
United States, NJ, Brooklawn
Joined Jul 2008
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetnz View Post
Is there something I should know about this breaking in, flexing process I'm randomly seeing?

I'll be getting my Beast in 2 days!
I wouldn't call it "breaking in" so much as as "quality control" or "gremlin hunting".

There's been a rash of bad servos (appear to be aileron only, if I'm not mistaken) in the Beast/UM fleet as of late. The servo in question will glitch out and go FULL LOCK in a given direction, causing an uncommanded spin. I've had this happen in level flight....

the issue seems to manifest itself during the maiden flight, although one of the posters here caught it while working the servos pre-maiden because it was a rainy day. This means you won't catch it during a routine control swipe to make sure everything is free moving and going the right direction. I suggested a good 20 min of control swiping to try to find the "gremlin" before you put the plane up.

This is important, because Horizon will replace the servo, if not the whole aircraft, if it's never been flown, as there can be no denying that the issue is a manufacturing defect. If it happens mid -maiden flight, then you have to mail it in on your dime, and you're at their mercy as to whether its a warranty item.

-Matt
AggressorBLUE is offline Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
Last edited by AggressorBLUE; Aug 22, 2011 at 08:06 PM.