SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:52 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2008
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
Not true....some are bad due to shipping in humidity, salt in humidity etc. This is a known issue with some of the servos right off the bat.

J

Not trying to dispute. Mine was bad out of the box so you point may be valid. However, reading these UM threads, seems like some servo develop problems after a few flights. Mine certainly did. I have 6 UMs so far and 3 of them the rudder won't center right out of the box; 2 developed problems after 1-2 month worth of flights. Don't get me wrong, I like them. I am just pointing out my experience related to HH is both good and not so good. I am just saying based on HH's policy, the ones that are getting stuff replaced after being flown are pretty lucky is all.
jseeker101 is offline Find More Posts by jseeker101
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2011, 01:06 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Rudder not centering is a lot better than the locking up at full throw or week/dead servo motors (that only are weak/dead with an aero load on them). I'd much rather have to retrim a plane every flight, than have it do the "ballistic spiral of death" they do when an aileron servo locks at full throw.

I buy a lot of hobb-e-mart rejects, so I've probably seen this manuever more than most.

Test flying a rebuild is always an adventure. When a Beast does it, it isn't pretty.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Aug 18, 2011, 01:07 PM
ICU
Check out my Shapeways Shop
Dallas,Tx.
Joined Apr 2007
1,202 Posts
I had to rip out my battery tray and replace it with some 1mm thick foam, so I could get my 240's in there. After about 10 flights now I haven't had a problem, but only time will tell. I don't expect it to last very long though since it's only 1mm thick.

For me personally, I was very comfortable with the Beast on about my 3rd flight. Comfortable, deff. not mastered. lol The Sbach on the other hand, I didn't feel halfway comfortable with the high rates until my 10th or so flight. Those rolls are just so unbelievably fast. I don't see how some people have moved in on the aileron horns. In stock form it rolls faster than I can count.

And most of the times I have crashed my Beast has been from turning around to go downwind while about 1~2 ft. off the deck. For some reason I always find myself flying the Beast at 50% or less throttle. It just seems to fly so effortlessly, that I don't use alot of throttle. The last few flights I've been trying to drill it in my head while flying, MORE THROTTLE you dumb bas*ard! lol
ICU is offline Find More Posts by ICU
Old Aug 18, 2011, 01:20 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Rudder not centering is a lot better than the locking up at full throw or week/dead servo motors (that only are weak/dead with an aero load on them). I'd much rather have to retrim a plane every flight, than have it do the "ballistic spiral of death" they do when an aileron servo locks at full throw.

I buy a lot of hobb-e-mart rejects, so I've probably seen this manuever more than most.

Test flying a rebuild is always an adventure. When a Beast does it, it isn't pretty.
Hit the nail on the head there...that's exactly what mine did..first rudder non-repsonsive, then aileron lockup.

A one-two punch that really bummed me out. I'm seasoned enough to be able to bring in a plane w/o rudder, have had it happen in my big planes a few times...but man...when those ailerons lock up on top of it...sure is a helpless feeling.

Lordy I'm having a bad week, flying wise...just got back from "the walk of shame"...had my 39" Extra go down due to throttle loss...pancaked into a rockpile. Some kind of intermittant prob...only does it once in a while during a zero throttle maneuver. Time to replace the ESC methinks.

Bud, getting out the CA Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Aug 18, 2011, 01:21 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icu View Post

more throttle you dumb bas*ard! Lol

lol!
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:55 PM
Park Stormer
United States, NJ, Brooklawn
Joined Jul 2008
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmd_man View Post
Mmmmm....many a flight on my assorted UM's and no servo fails...but then my TX has all the throws backed down to 90% on them all. Maybe the servos are running out of travel before the TX stick is running out of travel, and jamming them.

Just a thought.....
Was at factory spec low rates/epxo on my DX6i BOTH times the servo locked. The lock also happened in level flight.
AggressorBLUE is offline Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:59 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
I thought I'd share a couple new products we released for the Beast UMX to help get these strange little batteries charged .

We've got a new single charge lead, made of the highest quality 24AWG and 26AWG silicone wire, and a 6 x parallel charge lead. This should simplify the process a bit and save some folks some soldering. Enjoy!

Cheers,
David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:59 PM
Park Stormer
United States, NJ, Brooklawn
Joined Jul 2008
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Maybe you were right, but we ARE still laughing at your massive red font warning...
Fair enough
AggressorBLUE is offline Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:11 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggressorBLUE View Post
Fair enough
It IS good nature ribbing... in case you couldn't tell. I appreciate your heads-up!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:00 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by write2dgray View Post
I thought I'd share a couple new products we released for the Beast UMX to help get these strange little batteries charged .

We've got a new single charge lead, made of the highest quality 24AWG and 26AWG silicone wire, and a 6 x parallel charge lead. This should simplify the process a bit and save some folks some soldering. Enjoy!

Cheers,
David
Wow I like the 6 parallel charge...Too bad I just bought the 2 charge from Glenn. Very nice though.

Justin
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:47 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by write2dgray View Post

Cheers,
David
WOOT!! gonna have to get that 6x charge cable!!

But help me out... If I charge in parallel do i set my charger as if I have one battery on there or as if I have 6?
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:50 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
And how do I use a balance tap with this charge lead? My existing lead has the balance tap on it...
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:49 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
WOOT!! gonna have to get that 6x charge cable!!

But help me out... If I charge in parallel do i set my charger as if I have one battery on there or as if I have 6?
Voltage set for 2S battery.
Charging current is equal to the the total of all the batteries.

So if you have six 180mah batteries, you set it to 1 amp (because the total is 1.08amp, and you round down. If you charge three 240mah (you don't have to use all six connectors), it's 3X240mah so 700mah (because the total is 720mah). That's for a 1C charge. If you're charging some Hyperion batteries (you can charge them at 5C), then you multiply those results by 5.

So you would charge the six 180mah at 5.4amps (if you charger can charge that high... Many cheap chargers have a maximum of 5amps, so you would charge at 5 amps. For your 3 240mah, you would charge at 3.6amps.

P.S.: There's 7 connectors on this adapter. 6 for the batteries, and one plug into your balance port charger. Very easy.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:50 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
The Beast has come to the Bush!
After waiting what seemed like an eternity for my Beast to arrive slow boat from China (actually parcel post from Michigan) our mail plane brought my new Beast today! Woohoo.
Apparently as a reward for my patience today has been an almost no-wind day here in the northland.
Only thing I had to do before the maiden was of course charge the battery, but the rudder was offset quite a bit and required squeezing the little "U" near the horn almost shut in order to get it straight.
Maiden was with the CG a bit forward of the recommended 18mm, so after gaining some altitude the little bird needed some UP elevator trim. Very little else.
Have made 7 successful flights so far today and there is still plenty of daylight for a few more, ha ha.
Used the stock battery and two miniaviation 190s on a harness by RCconnectors. I could not tell a lot of difference in performance except that the stock battery did not run as long by several minutes. Likely will notice more difference after I get more stick time on the Beast and after I change to a 5043. I have some 210s coming from the "old country" and will change the prop after they arrive.
I was somewhat apprehensive about flying this thing. Most of my time lately has been with a Champ and T-28. Not to worry. I used low rates for the first three flights then went to high rates with the recommended expo. Sweeeeeet.
Have to land in the grass as I don't have a smooth area. Lost one of the wheel panties on about the 4th landing. Has anyone put large "bush tires" on the beast? I wonder if it might mess up things like KE flight? (Tried that on the 5th flight--was able to do a circuit with little problem)
If you have been thinkking about getting a Beast and are comfortable with the 4 channel UMs, GO FOR IT!!!
Rick in Alaska
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:59 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Voltage set for 2S battery.
Charging current is equal to the the total of all the batteries.

So if you have six 180mah batteries, you set it to 1 amp (because the total is 1.08amp, and you round down. If you charge three 240mah (you don't have to use all six connectors), it's 3X240mah so 700mah (because the total is 720mah). That's for a 1C charge. If you're charging some Hyperion batteries (you can charge them at 5C), then you multiply those results by 5.

So you would charge the six 180mah at 5.4amps (if you charger can charge that high... Many cheap chargers have a maximum of 5amps, so you would charge at 5 amps. For your 3 240mah, you would charge at 3.6amps.

P.S.: There's 7 connectors on this adapter. 6 for the batteries, and one plug into your balance port charger. Very easy.
Thanks. On my charger (triton) I input the mah and the voltage and it does the rest. So for charging 6 240's at 5c I assume I'd enter 7.4 volts and 7,200 mah (assuming it let's me go that high) right?