Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 08, 2010, 11:53 AM
**I'm Battman**
RCBABBEL's Avatar
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
I'd like to see a brushless P-38 with counter rotating props in a 14 or so inch span. A brushless Corsair with flaperons would also be sweet, again in the area of 14 inch span or a little smaller than the old Cox Warbirds. I think I paid nearly $100 for the power and radio system in my Cox plane, so yes I just might drop close to $150 for a brushless mini sized plane if it seemed like the performance was worth the price. Now you can do power systems for much less so I would hope that the price would be closer to $125 for BNF. I only ask one thing... Please put the servos inside the fuse. To me it completely spoils the outward appearance as well as crash protection. With the P-38 there should be plenty or room to do this.

Also a full house Moth or Pitts would be really cool, again with a decent brushless motor.

Since they now have the receiver system board with the BL ESC mounted, there should be a steady flow of brushless models, they wouldn't change the design for a single model because it would have been much cheaper to just put on an external ESC if the only thing was going to be the BEAST. Might be able to do aircraft up to about 24 inch span with these servos, which would put them squarely in the niche where the Cox planes were before their demise. Added benefit is that it would be a complete system that was lighter and more compact with better marketing to help push them along.

So in summary the Beast is a step in the right direction, it will be interesting to see the next few models in this line of mini aircraft.



v i,

You are not alone in your thinking...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1122270

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2010, 12:21 PM
Registered User
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Um p-38

I don't think there's a guy here who wouldn't cough up 200 bucks for a UM P-38. HH has consistently said that licensing fees make it too expensive to produce a P-38. I'm not sure I buy that, since so many other companies model the Lightning. Are they not paying fees? Is their cost structure that superior to the mighty HH? How much hand-wringing and grovelling is it going to take? Just please, anything but another P-51. I'd have to guess that the real reason we don't have UM P-38's is because of development and production costs. The AR6400LBL wouldn't cut it, since it would need two ESC's. Then you're talking about an entirely different class of battery altogether (insert Airplane! joke here!). It would also not fall under the easy to fly category, so people who just had to get one (stepping up from slower planes, anyway) would be in way over their heads. It would probably end up being too fast for most indoor venues, as well. Because of it's weight, it would not have the kind of "fly, crash, repeat" durability we've come to expect from PZ micros.
I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, I'm just saying that it would take a lot to make one that we'd want to buy.
MR2
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2010, 01:48 PM
Inciting Riots
village_idiot's Avatar
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
I don't think there's a guy here who wouldn't cough up 200 bucks for a UM P-38. HH has consistently said that licensing fees make it too expensive to produce a P-38. I'm not sure I buy that, since so many other companies model the Lightning. Are they not paying fees? Is their cost structure that superior to the mighty HH? How much hand-wringing and grovelling is it going to take?
Maybe, I'm not sure about the licensing.
Quote:
I'd have to guess that the real reason we don't have UM P-38's is because of development and production costs. The AR6400LBL wouldn't cut it, since it would need two ESC's.
one internal one external ESC
Quote:
It would also not fall under the easy to fly category, so people who just had to get one (stepping up from slower planes, anyway) would be in way over their heads. It would probably end up being too fast for most indoor venues, as well. Because of it's weight, it would not have the kind of "fly, crash, repeat" durability we've come to expect from PZ micros.
I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, I'm just saying that it would take a lot to make one that we'd want to buy.
MR2
You mean like the Sukhoi and 4-site? The two planes billed as advanced users only? Maybe it would be too hard to fly and I wouldn't want to get it too soon, but it is highest on the requested list, followed by the Corsair. I'd actually prefer the Corsair first if that matters. If the Corsair was made with correct wings instead of the extra dihedral it would be a handful to fly too, but I think it looks really cool so I want one. A brushless mini Moth would be a good stable plain for people to move up from RET to brushless REAT flight, if done correctly you could just switch the ailerons off and fly RET while you adjust to the aircraft and start using the ailerons and flaps as your skills progress.

Maybe they could also make something like a B-25 Mitchel with little tiny retracts Or some other bomber which should be ultra stable in flight. Maybe a DC-5 but not sure how well they would sell. Any of the Rutan designs with functional canard would be ultra cool too!
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2010, 02:08 PM
Registered User
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
All I'd like to see for now would be a UM Mitsubishi A6M Zero. Brushed, so the performance compares somewhat to the P-51. But I guess Japanese warbirds don't sell that well, so maybe an AT-6 that I could bash ala "Tora, Tora, Tora"
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2010, 02:14 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,133 Posts
I can see it now - UM war bird battles

We can all dream can't we ?
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2010, 02:17 PM
Registered User
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
I can see it now - UM war bird battles

We can all dream can't we ?
Even better would be micro Sonic Combat Modules that plug into the X-port. That would keep the foam carnage in check.
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2010, 02:23 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,133 Posts
Yes i was thinking of something along those lines as well




Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
Even better would be micro Sonic Combat Modules that plug into the X-port. That would keep the foam carnage in check.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2010, 02:24 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2010
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
Even better would be micro Sonic Combat Modules that plug into the X-port. That would keep the foam carnage in check.
Come on, dream a little, I want to shoot some airsoft pellets or electric motor powered missiles at my opponent planes!
cloakscott is offline Find More Posts by cloakscott
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2010, 02:27 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,133 Posts
Lol


Okay maveric

Where Iceman?

A UM EDF would be cool

Raptor; Habu or Saber even

Drooling I would be; great in the plank force it's be!
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2010, 02:41 PM
**I'm Battman**
RCBABBEL's Avatar
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
All I'd like to see for now would be a UM Mitsubishi A6M Zero. Brushed, so the performance compares somewhat to the P-51. But I guess Japanese warbirds don't sell that well, so maybe an AT-6 that I could bash ala "Tora, Tora, Tora"
Tora, Tora, Tora is very sweet but

The Battle of Midway in Sensurround changed my life!

rc



I also think these UM planes are the perfect platform for muli-engine.
Bring it on Horizon!
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2010, 02:51 PM
Registered User
microheli's Avatar
Joined Jul 2006
559 Posts
Most expensive BL-UM (need 12 ESC)

microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2010, 04:13 PM
War Eagle!
sneasle's Avatar
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,832 Posts
That looks like it would be fun...

Anyone know if anyone has ever made one?
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2010, 04:39 PM
Registered User
microheli's Avatar
Joined Jul 2006
559 Posts
I have seen one with 12 X-Twin motors.
http://www.rcline.tv/video/79/do-x-twin
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2010, 04:44 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Bowerz's Avatar
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,685 Posts
^^That is freakin' awesome! I want one!
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2010, 05:04 PM
Registered User
Cheese5's Avatar
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Lol


Okay maveric

Where Iceman?

A UM EDF would be cool

Raptor; Habu or Saber even

Drooling I would be; great in the plank force it's be!
Yeah a raptor micro!
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion ParkZone Ultra Micro T-28!!! THE Owners Thread!!!! dkintx Micro Ready-to-Fly 9911 Yesterday 08:17 AM
Official Parkzone P-51 Owners Thread - Part 2 monitor Parkflyers 2602 Jun 15, 2014 04:51 PM
Discussion UM beast, Now your talking qman Micro Ready-to-Fly 102 Dec 22, 2010 10:39 AM
Discussion The first OFFICIAL Parkzone Sukhoi SU-26XP BNF by ParkZone Owners thread skyjet Micro Ready-to-Fly 2 Mar 19, 2010 03:00 PM
Official Parkzone P-51 Owners Thread monitor Parkflyers 913 Oct 04, 2005 09:02 PM