HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:32 PM
ICU
Check out my Shapeways Shop
Dallas,Tx.
Joined Apr 2007
1,202 Posts
Beating up my Beast

Here's a raw video of me flying/beating-up my Beast tonight. Tried a few things a little too low for the camera.

Camera was stationary so it's not in frame all the time. And it's a tad choppy, I think cause it was dusk and the frame rate dropped a little.

First crash @ 1:13. *Oh No,lol* I ended up knocking loose the spinner, no biggie. Time to switch too the 5043.

Second crash (out of frame) was @ 2:06. Broke off one of those pos wheel pant(ies). My V2 wheel pants for the Beast can't get here soon enough, same with my press-on Beast spinner.

The last crash was after a nice harrier pass @ 4:44. I lost it trying to bring it back around for another harrier pass in front of the camera. I creased the bottom left wing, looks like it'll be ok. And that's the last you see of it in the vid. Just a comment at the end. "OK that's enough beating up the beast, today" lol

I might be able to get some better video tomorrow if I can get a friend out to join me.

Beating up my Beast (5 min 19 sec)
ICU is offline Find More Posts by ICU
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2011, 06:58 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
Any ideas on how to keep the servo wires in the horns? I may just add some clear tape to hold them in there.

Anyone figure this out yet?
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Aug 15, 2011, 07:07 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
Anyone figure this out yet?
Your tape sounds like the best idea. However I never have much of a problem with this unless the plane hits the ground or noses over in a landing in the grass.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Aug 15, 2011, 07:18 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
Your tape sounds like the best idea. However I never have much of a problem with this unless the plane hits the ground or noses over in a landing in the grass.
Same here, had them pop on landing but that is about it, and I'd sooner they popped in such cases than put the pressure on the servos themselves.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 15, 2011, 07:41 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post
Same here, had them pop on landing but that is about it, and I'd sooner they popped in such cases than put the pressure on the servos themselves.
Great point, I will leave them be, it was when I had a landing go awry and it landed in the grass versus the asphault.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:15 AM
ICU
Check out my Shapeways Shop
Dallas,Tx.
Joined Apr 2007
1,202 Posts
You could try this. Just a real quick drawing in MS Paint. Hope you all understand it.

You could try adding a small piece of cf on the side opposite of the z-bend. And hold it in place with a piece of heat shrink. This should keep the z-bend from slipping thru the hole. **Be very careful when shrinking the heat shrink. Foam does not like heat.**

But I would also highly advise against doing this, unless you plan on never crashing your plane. Think of those flimsy horns as a safety feature. Whenever there is some force (during a crash) applied to the surface. The z-bend will slip thru the horn absorbing some of the force. If you have it so that it doesn't slip, the control surface will take all of the force and will most likely bend/crease your control surface. In my video above on the last crash the rudder z-bend slipped thru the horn. If I had it held in place with the carbon rod my rudder almost certainly would have been bent/creased.
ICU is offline Find More Posts by ICU
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:17 AM
Good Times!
Joined Feb 2011
249 Posts
My rudder pops over almost every time I land in the grass. Haven't noticed the others do it except maybe during handling. You could use a servo retainer, the night vapor and msr are 2 micros I can think of that come with extra servo retainers.

Edit... /\/\/\probably best to just leave it alone though /\
Micro Budget is offline Find More Posts by Micro Budget
Last edited by Micro Budget; Aug 15, 2011 at 10:20 AM. Reason: read the post above after posting
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:49 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
But like others have said, the reason they are allowed to pop out is to be a point of failure under stress. Wouldn't you rather have your rod pop out instead of your servo rip off or wing rip? I have yet to see them popping out during normal flight stress, only on contact with the ground.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:59 AM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Way back when it was suggested to used little discs of floppy disc material w/ a pinprick hole in the center. That or maybe some plastic packaging material laying around. I plane on doing this, as a control surface loss up above my cul-de-sac flying area would mean disaster.

I only got one post-sunset flight in last eve...winds died pretty late....just tearing up the wide blue open above the cul...slow lazy hammerheads at the top of huge climbs...ginormous barrel rolls...wonderful!

'Chine running great, trimmed perfectly...shot a few "faux approaches" to better dial in my one-shot-only landing...then rolled her on in...no prob...then...WTH....^@*%#! groundloop!

I never groundloop.

Just a little wingtip scrapage...steamed out and used a black Sharpie paint marker to touch up.

Running sans spinner...I like the whistling sound w/o spinner as I scream down into the cul and back up/out.

Added strips of Blenderm tape to wheel panties, trimmed to fit, to preserve and strengthen them. (pic)

I basically traded (sold) my mSr heli and all it's extra parts to get my wee Beastie...glad I did.

Bud, waiting on wind again Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Last edited by maukabud; Aug 15, 2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:04 AM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
But like others have said, the reason they are allowed to pop out is to be a point of failure under stress. Wouldn't you rather have your rod pop out instead of your servo rip off or wing rip? I have yet to see them popping out during normal flight stress, only on contact with the ground.
Good point...coz the next thing to go would be the foam material around the servo horn, most likely.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:08 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Added strips of Blenderm tape to wheel panties, trimmed to fit, to preserve and strengthen them. (pic)
Where the heck do you get Blenderm? None of the local drug stores have it. Online? I finally had to order 3M Extreme packing tape for my Bixler online too... Sebastopol... out in the boonies. But Santa Rosa? You'd think Home Depot or Friedman's would have 3M Extreme, but no...
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:12 AM
Good Times!
Joined Feb 2011
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro Budget View Post
My rudder pops over almost every time I land in the grass. Haven't noticed the others do it except maybe during handling. You could use a servo retainer, the night vapor and msr are 2 micros I can think of that come with extra servo retainers.

Edit... /\/\/\probably best to just leave it alone though /\
Quote:
Yeah it was a suggestion of what you could do. Like I said my rudder pops almost every time I land in the grass. I haven't done anything about it but pop it back over
Micro Budget is offline Find More Posts by Micro Budget
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:13 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
'Chine running great, trimmed perfectly...shot a few "faux approaches" to better dial in my one-shot-only landing...then rolled her on in...no prob...then...WTH....^@*%#! groundloop!

I never groundloop.
99% of my crashes were landing this plane. I don't have the greatest runways, most of them are short, and surrounded by trees and other obstacles so coming in fast with a twitchy plane like the UMX Beast has been problematic. I've got most of the WOT handling down and mid-power handling down, but I always had a bit of a problem handling the Beast at low speeds.

So I spent like 10 battery packs (60 minutes) of solid low speed, 1 foot off the ground flying in the park on grass. I finally nailed it. Got the flaps dialed in, I'm able to crawl just over the grass pretty well now without sinking it for an entire pack. I found changing the direction of my flaps to an up arrow on my DX6i instead of the down arrow helped a ton. Originally I was using 35 \/ and zero elevator, but now I'm using 35 /\ and 2 \/ elevator and this seems to pitch the nose up nicely and I can hover around at super low speeds just over the ground. I find that it's easily controlled. The tail drags a bit but I'd rather have the tail dragging on low speed than the nose pitched down - just personal preference I guess cause I've tried both. I guess it's sort of like a harrier. When I want to actually land, I just cut the throttle a bit more and pitch the nose down slightly and it plops softly in the grass. I have not tried this low speed stuff over asphalt yet because like I said, my runways suck.

This beast definitely takes much more experience and flights to master than the UM T-28 did. It seems like an easy plane to fly if all you want to do is loops and circles and plop on the grass, but extremely hard plane to master and have great control and I'm hoping if I master this, then all the other planes after it should be cake, save for EDF planes.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:17 AM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Where the heck do you get Blenderm? None of the local drug stores have it. Online? I finally had to order 3M Extreme packing tape for my Bixler online too... Sebastopol... out in the boonies. But Santa Rosa? You'd think Home Depot or Friedman's would have 3M Extreme, but no...
I got mine from Rite-Aid drug stores. They had both 1" and 1/2"...actually it's "Transpore"...has little tiny holes machined into it...so my panties can breathe. (actually helps when used as hinge material...better flex)

Bud, breathable panties Bud
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:30 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,274 Posts
My last week of work then I get to pack and I will have a little time to fly...Still want this beast...but the stryker is coming. I don't have unlimited funds darnit! What a sweet machine it is.

J
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten