Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:38 AM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
Yeah, the last 1/3 or 1/4 is the hardest part... Flew the Beast again today... Man, I still LOVE this plane Was doing some rolling circles, and finally got hovering this thing down
I cant get it to hover for more than 4-5 seconds. And never totally still. The surfaces have soo much authority. Maybe ill try more expo.
tominator06 is online now Find More Posts by tominator06
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:40 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
3 more cul flights for me...high VBG factor fer sher! (Very Big Grin) I luv how this thing has the reserve power to just tear up the sky...manuevers can be so much more massive than with, say the 4Site...apples to oranges.

It's kinda fun (and funny) to see the totally different flight characteristics of the 4S and Beastie...I've been alternating planes out front, coz I only have the one stock Beastie batt right now.

Got the approaches/landings dialed now...what a hunnee.

Bud, no reason to leave the house suddenly Bud

PS check out my lovely (full scale) desktop photo:
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Last edited by maukabud; Aug 14, 2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:55 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Shooting touch and goes is one of my favorite lazy day things to do with the Beast. I love how she can slow down for really soft landings.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Aug 14, 2011, 01:05 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Shooting touch and goes is one of my favorite lazy day things to do with the Beast. I love how she can slow down for really soft landings.
Yeah...noticed that at the park yest'day...I don't have that luxury in front of my house...once I'm on approach and into the cul...I'm commited! No runout/go around available...big wall of trees southside. (unless, of course, I pull a hail-mary str8 up and out!)

Oooh...I think my batts charged...gotta go...

Bud, gotta fly Bud
Old Aug 14, 2011, 01:36 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Im dying to fly but the wind is gusty out there right now. Lots of storms in the area today. I could fly in a more open spot but don't feel like lugging the kids to my spot right now!
Old Aug 14, 2011, 01:42 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Boy howdy I know how that is!! My five yr old boy insists on racing around me on his bike as I fly...it's really unnerving/aggravating! ('specially with a new plane) At least I got him trained up enough to get the heck outta the way when I call "landing"! He used to chase them as they landed ...had to break him hard from that habit!

Afternoon swirlies starting up now...guess I'll take him to a park so he can burn off all that energy.

Bud, Mr. Mom Bud
Old Aug 14, 2011, 01:46 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
I cant get it to hover for more than 4-5 seconds. And never totally still. The surfaces have soo much authority. Maybe ill try more expo.
I use the recommended setup.... Also, on my last flight, I handed the controls to a friend and he plopped it into the ground Everything looked, and moved fine... But now when I fly it it rolls Left.... Any ideas?
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Aug 14, 2011, 01:47 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Got a 6 year old son and a 7 year old daughter. Flying with them around can be a bit stressful. But my son is now taking an interest in flying so I'll probably pick up a Champ for him to see if he gets it...
Old Aug 14, 2011, 01:48 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
went to LHS yesterday and no upgrade prop in stock..dabnab it .....
I get mine from Hobbyking...6 for 3 bux...crapshoot whether or not you get the good looking black ones, the ok looking gray ones....or the horrible looking orange ones.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...%5Fset%5F.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...%5Fset%5F.html

Bud, puttin' an order in muself Bud
Old Aug 14, 2011, 01:56 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
I use the recommended setup.... Also, on my last flight, I handed the controls to a friend and he plopped it into the ground Everything looked, and moved fine... But now when I fly it it rolls Left.... Any ideas?
For low rates, I've been slowly bumping up the ail rates and bringing down the expo...rolls feel too mushy on low rates, esp. at higher speeds...and I bumped my rud rate up to 80%, and dropped expo to 10% I like a snappy rudder, even on low rates...feels about right to me. Left the high rates at manual #'s for now.

Aileron linkage maybe slid through the horn? Ails flat? Check elevator...still flat? Rudder straight?

Just some ideas...
Old Aug 14, 2011, 01:58 PM
Today's forecast: Summer
United States, GA
Joined Apr 2011
233 Posts
Anybody done a watt meter test with different props? I'm guessing it's getting risky running anything more than a 5x4.3.

If it's in this thread already, I missed it.
92PathSE is offline Find More Posts by 92PathSE
Old Aug 14, 2011, 01:58 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Try aileron trim first and then rudder if that doesn't work. I had this issue too... Rudder was the culprit.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 02:01 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92PathSE View Post
Anybody done a watt meter test with different props? I'm guessing it's getting risky running anything more than a 5x4.3.

If it's in this thread already, I missed it.
Check Turboparkers blog...I think it's there...also check the mods thread..tons of intriguing info there...
Old Aug 14, 2011, 02:06 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Any ideas on how to keep the servo wires in the horns? I may just add some clear tape to hold them in there.

Need to order more batteries! Great fun! I did an unintended hover on a take off, that was interesting. I can't do anything crazy just your typical rolls, loops, and dives. Need to learn some of the more difficult stuff. I am rudder dumb!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Aug 14, 2011, 02:17 PM
United States, MD, Lexington Park
Joined Mar 2011
99 Posts
WOW 7544 posts on this bird, way to go all!
I get my Beast delivered tomorrow and cant wait to try her out! Going to the club meeting the other evning, I saw at least 3 there and I know there were more that did not make it.
Boy I am looking forward to trying out this little bird.

Happy landings to all and enjoy!

Bruce
BruceL is offline Find More Posts by BruceL