Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:28 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,547 Posts
B
u
d,

Any thoughts of giving yourself a bit more room until you get comfy with her??

rc

Sophie is still a bit nervous to sol.
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:28 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post

The Hyp 180s' and 5043 are gonna be unreal...glad I listen to my peers.

Bud, surprised Bud
That's why we're here... to surprise you and for you to listen to.

I just got in from flying mine. Ballistic vertical performance even at 5 minutes! The "slow level approach, pull up and NAIL it" type. It accelerates on up. I can even get a few rolls out of it. Pretty cool.

Eric, Bud listens to us, Eric. Ohhhh, did I just DO that??
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:01 AM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
B
u
d,

Any thoughts of giving yourself a bit more room until you get comfy with her??

rc

Sophie is still a bit nervous to sol.

Definitely when I get the hotter setup going...glad I chose one of my 5030s' and not my 5043s' tonite.

Poor Sophie must cower in fear when the BabbleBeast takes flight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
The "slow level approach, pull up and NAIL it" type. It accelerates on up.
That's how I took off out of the cul...lol...20 ft. rollout...then straight up and out..and up...and up! Neighbor dude was like..."wow"...(I was like...wow!! Hot *dayum*!)

I might have to order up a #2 ASAP.

Bud, I think I'm liking this ride Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Aug 14, 2011, 02:04 AM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,206 Posts
Beast Justin need to buy a Beast Justin.

Justin
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Aug 14, 2011, 02:05 AM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Yes indeed you do. Worth every penny.
tominator06 is online now Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Aug 14, 2011, 07:05 AM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,318 Posts
went to LHS yesterday and no upgrade prop in stock..dabnab it .....
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Old Aug 14, 2011, 07:55 AM
Today's forecast: Summer
United States, GA
Joined Apr 2011
224 Posts
After a few flights I noticed that both of the black foam supports between the wings are now creased. I'm going to glue in a toothpick, unless somebody has a better idea.

The lower wing is trying to come loose from the fuse as well.
92PathSE is offline Find More Posts by 92PathSE
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:28 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Well, after about 10 flights with no crashes, I've crashed my beast a few times. Mostly when losing orientation close to the ground. This plane is very hard to fly in overcast because when it's about 50 to 100 feet away from you everything becomes black/dark red. I now have about 30 flights on the beast and only one major crash that split the wing, and a minor one that broke a prop.

I've found the wings to be very fragile. I've cracked the left wing but the good thing is that it glues on perfectly and uniformly and ready for the next flight.

The reason for my crashing is that I was trying to be too careful with the plane. My nerves were getting the better of me. Once the wing got cracked once I was like "ok screw it," and suddenly once I let myself really fly the plane instead of treating it like it's a flying piece of irreplaceable glass, I flew it MUCH better and with more control.

It's a funny thing isn't it. You get a new plane, you try to be extra careful with it, but the more careful you try to be the more nervous you become. Sure I can fly this plane in circles with the odd roll and loop never committing to anything too crazy, but without doing that, you'll never fly the beast the way it was supposed to fly. No amount of UM T-28 experience can fully prepare you for the beast as I thought. Sure, you can fly the beast like you did your UM T-28 and never crash it, but the beast can do so much more so you have to learn those moves too, things you couldn't do on the UM T-28.

I think in the end with UMs, one needs to basically have a first practice version of it. Name it, champ, UM T-28, Beast, P-51, Corsair, etc... In order to get good, real good with that plane, you need to push it to its limits. That means it will crash from time to time. Once you get real good with that one, it's time to rebuild it or buy a new fresh one, one that you won't crash now. Simulators don't seem to help much when you're working with a plane as twitchy, fast, and capable as the beast Only real life experience prevails

I think this is much different for bigger planes though since they are less twitchy, move slower, fly higher, and are easier to see it's orientation. You have more time to react to situations and since it's wingspan is bigger, it's easier to see orientation at all times with the proper color scheme.

On that note, I'm still practicing KEs like 100 feet in the air I'm practicing the constant aileron roll while barrel rolling the plane as well (this is really hard to make it look smooth.. any tips?)
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:36 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
Beast Justin need to buy a Beast Justin.

Justin

Hey BJ,

She is Oh So different from the Sbach...
And Oh So similar in many ways.

She can be flown in the smallest of areas.
Wonderful light wing loading, high drag airframe.
Pure joy every time I fly her.

Tomorrow morning I take her out for flight 300.
I'm going for the best looking 300 in the sky that I can fly.
Should be interesting.

Hands down, my favorite UM.

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:45 AM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,318 Posts
wow 300.....................

Im up to 20
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:47 AM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92PathSE View Post
After a few flights I noticed that both of the black foam supports between the wings are now creased. I'm going to glue in a toothpick, unless somebody has a better idea.

The lower wing is trying to come loose from the fuse as well.
Wayyy back when, when my ol' 4Site was new...I noticed the wing supports weakening...glued in these thin 1mm CF rod pieces...I feel that this mod has contributed greatly to my 4S' long life (which is now just about at it's end):

Bud, watching the AM wind in the trees Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:58 AM
Experienced R/C Repairman
Three Oaks, Michigan
Joined Sep 2003
2,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
I'm practicing the constant aileron roll while barrel rolling the plane as well (this is really hard to make it look smooth.. any tips?)
Check these pointers:http://www.hooked-on-rc-airplanes.co...maneuvers.html
barnyardflyer is online now Find More Posts by barnyardflyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:15 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyardflyer View Post
Thanks, but you don't get what I mean, but maybe I messed up the terminology. I'll use the terminology from that page:

I'm trying to perform a loop while constantly barrel rolling the airplane. This is tough because I can't apply a constantly directional elevator while rolling. I have to move the elevator stick between up and down while the airplane is rolling to keep my plane in a circular loop.

Right now I'm rolling once, continuing the loop, rolling again, then continuing the loop, etc. But I've seen people able to continue looping while in the roll no matter if they are upside down or rightside up. Looks easy but try to practice it
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:27 AM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
Thanks, but you don't get what I mean, but maybe I messed up the terminology. I'll use the terminology from that page:

I'm trying to perform a loop while constantly barrel rolling the airplane. This is tough because I can't apply a constantly directional elevator while rolling. I have to move the elevator stick between up and down while the airplane is rolling to keep my plane in a circular loop.

Right now I'm rolling once, continuing the loop, rolling again, then continuing the loop, etc. But I've seen people able to continue looping while in the roll no matter if they are upside down or rightside up. Looks easy but try to practice it
Rolling loop is what it is most often called. I cannot do one myself but have been looking into it.They say adding throttle helps get the nose up then full throttle while straight up and dropping the throttle to go over the top. From what Ive read the hard part is the last 1/3rd of the maneuver.
tominator06 is online now Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:32 AM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
Rolling loop is what it is most often called. I cannot do one myself but have been looking into it.They say adding throttle helps get the nose up then full throttle while straight up and dropping the throttle to go over the top. From what Ive read the hard part is the last 1/3rd of the maneuver.
Yeah, the last 1/3 or 1/4 is the hardest part... Flew the Beast again today... Man, I still LOVE this plane Was doing some rolling circles, and finally got hovering this thing down
Park_aviator is online now Find More Posts by Park_aviator