HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2011, 05:32 PM
Orlando, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2003
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
The UMX beast was my very first plane and I love it. Not sure if your post was for real or just sarcasm but it flys extremely well.
Trust me, there's no doubt in my mind what a AWESOME flying model the Beast is. I was (in my own way) sharing my frustration with posts that people make without ever having flown the model or taking the time to really read through the threads before making comments that may sway others away from great flying models. That's all. I'm sure he's a nice guy, just misinformed.
Ed eFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Ed eFlyer
Last edited by Ed eFlyer; Aug 13, 2011 at 06:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2011, 05:35 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Gotcha!! People do have a way of judging things they know nothing about. I can say I have been guilty of it myself in the past. But to totally steer someone away like that is terrible. Happy Flying!!
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Aug 13, 2011, 05:59 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
Tom,

Thanks for the vid.
My kind of max throw flying.

As you already know, the 2S Hyp packs/5043 prop will make a big difference on the vertical and really help to get the cg back.

Enjoyed it!

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2011, 06:16 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Thanks. Yeah that was 2 1s thunderpower 160 packs on glenns harness with 5043. I shouldn't have an issue with weight. When I rebuild it I put just a wee bit if weight all the way back in the tail of the fuse before assembly. I am looking forward to getting a few of your packs though. Prolly 2 120's and 2 180's.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Aug 13, 2011, 06:57 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
This was asked a while ago and never answered... I've been playing with a new simulator (crashing mostly) with a Pitts 12 biplane and I didn't see much difference in using rudder/aileron mixing but I did find that once banked over that using opposite rudder with elevator will indeed help climb (becoming a V tail). need to do lots more simulator work to help figure things out.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Aug 13, 2011, 07:52 PM
Too many numbers
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Oct 2010
1,785 Posts
I'd just like to say that I love my little Beast. So do my neighbors!

I have a "full size" Parkzone P51 that I've been flying for a year now, a 30" pitts 3D foamie, and several EDF airplanes. Nothing draws a bigger crowd than my little Beast. People just love to watch it. I love it because it is pretty much "idiot" (me) proof. I just take off and climb to 80 feet or so and go nuts. I've never had an airplane that is nearly this aerobatic- yet I never get in trouble with it. I do full throw crazy manuevers that are nothing much more than a blur, and when it falls to about 50 feet, I just let go of the sticks and the airplane just stops- I then just pull back on the stick and immediately figure out it's orientation. It makes me look like I know what I am doing!

I have the micro T-28 also, and it is a fantastic airplane for a beginner, but the Beast is in a league of its own. I fly mine right off the driveway- no need to drive to the flying field. It is my favorite airplane to fly. If I can teach my wife how to follow the airplane with our video camera I'll post a video, but that's probably asking a lot.. If you are thinking about getting this but aren't sure, pull the trigger. You won't regret it.
c131frdave is offline Find More Posts by c131frdave
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:16 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed eFlyer View Post
Just thought I'd warn everyone: According to a guy's post on a club thread I follow, the micro Beast flies like "crap",
More likely the pilots' lack of skillz.

maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:27 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post

Bud, Bud's got mad skillz Bud!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:45 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
lol...well...let's just say this ain't my first rodeo.

All:

FYI decal bubbles come out nice and flat when employing the "steaming creases out of Depron" technique- I used my Coverlite trim sealing iron set on medium, and a (just short of) soaking wet paper towel. This is an old technique that's very effective for getting creases out of Depron...apparently it works nicely on decals as well.

My wheel panties had really big, nasty bubbles in them...forgot to take "before" pics...but here's what they look like now...better than "factory" (except for those little lines):

Bud, better than factory Bud
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:45 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,019 Posts
Quote:

It's weird, I've seen people put down things for the strangest reasons, or reasons that don't seem true for anyone else.

Prime example, on the youtube vid I watched before pulling the trigger on that powered glider, nearly everyone including the very reputable guy who made the vid, said this thing climbs like a scalded dog on crack. Very powerful motor for a glider.

Well, rightly or wrongly that became a big selling point in my own mind, because I figured that having lots of power might help a noob like me bail myself out of potentially bad situations by 'running and gunning' until I get it figured out...

Yet one guy on the comments thread claimed he bought it and the motor was too weak, it barely worked, it was garbage, all the other gliders had more powerful motors to get them to altitude, etc. I figured he was just a troll or maybe even a plant for another vendor...but then when playing with my new heli ESC today, I thought of something -- if this kid never properly calibrated his ESC to his radio, then it's possible he just never got full throttle applied to the motor! So, experiences can indeed vary widely, but back to the topic of the Beast -- it would have to be a real caveman to actually believe this thing is not super quality, very highly powered, and a quality flyer, based on the sheer volume of positive responses from the many many people who actually own them.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:47 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,019 Posts
Quote:
lol...well...let's just say this ain't my first rodeo.
So........

You ironed your panties, then posted pictures on the internet?

(Hey, I'm just asking!)
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:51 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
So........

You ironed your panties, then posted pictures on the internet?

(Hey, I'm just asking!)
Oh don't forget...I got them all good and wet first!

I could tell this was going to be a quality ride just from last nights' "kitchen floor taxi tests". (to, errr, you know...get my batt down to charging voltage...yeah yeah...that's it...)

Bud, waiting for the evening calm Bud
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:21 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Man, I got to fly this little sucker tonight finally. It is literally a blast to fly, good and fast. It was fairly calm but the winds were picking up with a huge storm front moving in. Got two batteries in her, mostly flying half throttle and testing out the flaps and landings. Got a decent landing in, hand a couple nose overs, and some that were soft grass touchdowns due to wind and me panicking. No damage though!

Got a homebrew Hyp. 240 made up, should have had two. I was making the first one and one of the cell's leads WOULD NOT take solder. I sanded and everything, trashed it after the lead ended up breaking off, frustrating to say the least!

Got her trimmed out didn't really get to wring her out due to the wind picking up. Landing her just in time, as I was leaving the parking lot the wind was gusting over 30 mph! I would have never got her back!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:34 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
It's weird, I've seen people put down things for the strangest reasons, or reasons that don't seem true for anyone else.

Prime example, on the youtube vid I watched before pulling the trigger on that powered glider, nearly everyone including the very reputable guy who made the vid, said this thing climbs like a scalded dog on crack. Very powerful motor for a glider.

Well, rightly or wrongly that became a big selling point in my own mind, because I figured that having lots of power might help a noob like me bail myself out of potentially bad situations by 'running and gunning' until I get it figured out...

Yet one guy on the comments thread claimed he bought it and the motor was too weak, it barely worked, it was garbage, all the other gliders had more powerful motors to get them to altitude, etc. I figured he was just a troll or maybe even a plant for another vendor...but then when playing with my new heli ESC today, I thought of something -- if this kid never properly calibrated his ESC to his radio, then it's possible he just never got full throttle applied to the motor! So, experiences can indeed vary widely, but back to the topic of the Beast -- it would have to be a real caveman to actually believe this thing is not super quality, very highly powered, and a quality flyer, based on the sheer volume of positive responses from the many many people who actually own them.
^^^^^^^^^ what he said...

beast is awesome.....

love mine i do
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:12 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
I just got back in from a post sunset flight out front of my house...w/ the 5030 prop. Umm...wow...even just that one change from stock prop is a significant difference...this 'chine really likes to go fast and eat up huge swaths of sky (for a UM), dunnit?

I was a little tense, calculating how I was going to wedge the little demon back into my now tiny seeming cul-de-sac blacktop...which measures around 5 car lengths, each way, with two story condos, plane grabber trees all round, and only one approach...with the wind, if it should bump up (which it did up n down all eve). It didn't... greased 'er on in...

The Hyp 180s' and 5043 are gonna be unreal...glad I listen to my peers.

Bud, surprised Bud