HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2011, 02:42 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Well the beast may be one of the faster UMs, but mine so far is moving EXTREMELY SLOW!
It spent three days in a small Post Office in rural Michigan before wending it's way to PA. It left there yesterday morning and has not reported in since. No LHS for 300 miles or I wouldn't have to do all this waiting!
Oh well, practicing landings with the UM T-28 in the meantime. May save some damage to the Beast when it arrives!!
Rick in Alaska
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:21 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
Well the beast may be one of the faster UMs, but mine so far is moving EXTREMELY SLOW!
It spent three days in a small Post Office in rural Michigan before wending it's way to PA. It left there yesterday morning and has not reported in since. No LHS for 300 miles or I wouldn't have to do all this waiting!
Oh well, practicing landings with the UM T-28 in the meantime. May save some damage to the Beast when it arrives!!
Rick in Alaska
lol

I didn't get a status update between NY and here in Oregon..so hopefully it's rolling toward ya.
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:39 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
NO thunderstorms...........

got batteries on charger I do

go fly I am

DumDumDitty
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:42 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,174 Posts
I know it's off topic, but just wanted to share with someone: my powered glider came in.

Probably should have solicited ideas here first before I ordered it, since many of you think Champ --> T-28 --> Beast is a pretty good path of progression, but with my T-28 gone and this was already on the way, I'm gonna assemble it this weekend and probably maiden it.

If I crack it up and it's on video, I'll provide a link for your amusement!

I have reluctantly put the Beast literally on the shelf for now, after doing as good a job trimming it as I could without flying it (made lots of little tweaks, and while they might not have improved anything, they also should not have hurt, since now all control surfaces are flatter and more neutral at center), and putting the battery at storage level.

EDIT TO ADD: Holy Cow, it's huge! It's an ARF, so I had to reach into my spare parts to grab a receiver, battery, straps, bands, and other accoutrements to get it flight ready, but I think it's now good to go. I programmed two-stage flaps on the DX6i after watching Dave "Nightflyyer"s vid of his maiden of this particular model, saying it has 'terrific penetration' which seems to mean that the guys could barely find enough open space to land it, it carries so much speed on approach! (chuckle) I also "bench-trimmed" the control surfaces to be as neutral as I can, and I checked the motor operation and the CG... left it a tad nose heavy due to 2200mah battery, and set the timer to 20 minutes. I've obviously never hand launched an airplane before, but I guess you just tweak up the throttle, and step into the wind and give her a healthy push-off, and have that hand right ready on the elevator stick...I'm a lefty, so if I use my left hand to launch it, then as long as I have already got the throttle going, I think I can be right on top of the right-side stick.

tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Last edited by tracknoob; Aug 12, 2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:51 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
SInce the servos may or may not get stuck, you may want to sit that beast on a box and work the control surfaces for a while to make sure they are worn in. I plan to do much more of that while setting up the radio just to make sure that I don't have an early failure.

You may want to tie it down so you can also run the motor. Nothing really to loose if you aren't going to fly it and it would be a good check out.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:59 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
I'm swinging by my local Best Buy today on the way home from work to pick up a GoPro HD camera with a head strap mount so I can get some good video of my planes. I'll post some videos soon - hopefully tonight. I can't wait to get this thing - The videos I've seen with them so far are pretty awesome.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:12 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
quick question...

Darnit every time I have to set up a new airplane in a Spekky tx I always get the +/- expo settings confused...coz I run Futaba as well on some planes, which is opposite...so:

In the manual, the expo % numbers are positive, right? To soften inputs around center stick...

I'm all set, binded, control surface travel tested and adjusted, range checked and tweaked...now I just have to program Indoorhelis' brilliant two position flaps...

Too bad it's too windy now. lol! I love this hobby.

Bud, admiring his new (temporary) hanger queen Bud
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:21 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Darnit every time I have to set up a new airplane in a Spekky tx I always get the +/- expo settings confused...coz I run Futaba as well on some planes, which is opposite...so:

In the manual, the expo % numbers are positive, right? To soften inputs around center stick...

I'm all set, binded, control surface travel tested and adjusted, range checked and tweaked...now I just have to program Indoorhelis' brilliant two position flaps...

Too bad it's too windy now. lol! I love this hobby.

Bud, admiring his new (temporary) hanger queen Bud
Yes, positive numbers soften around the center.

I hate the wind too. I think I'm going to get the full size Stryker so I can have fun in the wind.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:52 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Yes, positive numbers soften around the center.

I hate the wind too. I think I'm going to get the full size Stryker so I can have fun in the wind.
thanks!

Yeah...I have an awesome Combatwing XR sloper and a butte just around the corner for afternoons like these...just can't fly it *and* watch my kid at the same time.

Once you get into sloping, the wind can howl as much it wants, and it's flyable.

I'm gonna put my kid to work, holding the tx stick so I can get these flaps workin'.

Bud, no "child labor laws" in RC'ing Bud
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:09 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Got my GoPro and got some video out in front of the house. I'll load them up later. Pretty sweet camera but I'm gonna need to fly in closer to get decent video. I don't have that option in front of my house though!

Bad news - my Sbach elevator servo crapped out on me and I dive bombed the street. It's in rough shape. HH owes me a new plane. I'll be calling them this weekend.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:29 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
flaps setup...?

Okay, what's the trick to getting the flaps operating properly...

Seems I can't change the brick to dual aileron mode...? I can't get my left side aileron set (viewed as if in the cockpit) to drop properly...it raises. Right side operates properly.

dx6i radio
dual ailerons are actuated in settings
flap channel is reversed in settings

tried the "full throttle/down and left ail" as described here (although looks like it's for a stock OEM radio...):

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3099

There's gotta be a trick.....?

Bud, Bud

EDIT: finding my own answers...came across this in the mod thread:

Note - To Change ANY Mode on these RX Bricks!

To be able to change the RX modes (like for seperate aileron/flaperon use), you need the TX to be initially set as a "vanilla" default airplane, no reversing etc. to ensure the RX sees the correct deflections to change modes. If the brick doesn't make the three quick blinks a few seconds after power up, it's not changing modes.

You must change modes first, then add the appropriate mixing to the TX to control the new aileron (ch6) channel etc.

...tried all this, settings back to default...no joy...left ail still raises....anyone?
Last edited by maukabud; Aug 12, 2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:25 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,599 Posts
Quote:
Fondling my wee Beastie, fresh out the box...

Happy to report it looks just about perfect...only sticker bubbling is on the wheel panties. The lower wing anhedral *is* kinda weird...tweaked the tailwheel wire strut so it tracks straight.

Sitting next to my 4Site, the fuse is quite a bit shorter...this thing is gonna tumble like the full-scale version, oh yes!

Threw the charger on my little power supply and topped off the batt..worked ok..just what I need...yet another stock Eflite charger.

Too bad my kid is underfoot today. No way I can tune this thing right now...*sigh*

Bud, stoked Bud

Congrats Bud...

Is your's red or pink??

All this 'FAST' and 'FLAP' talk is a bit shocking to me.
The UMX Beast isn't a BEAST at all.
She is predictable and very well behaved even on max throws.
Flaps??
She can be landed at silly slow speeds.
With light-weight packs, she can easily be flown indoors.
Such a sweet heart.
Enjoy!
rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:36 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:

...tried all this, settings back to default...no joy...left ail still raises....anyone?
Okay...belay that request...got it figured...just kept messin' with it...perused Modflys' old thread also...here if anyone's interested:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=modfly+flaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Congrats Bud...

Is your's red or pink??

All this 'FAST' and 'FLAP' talk is a bit shocking to me.
The UMX Beast isn't a BEAST at all.
She is predictable and very well behaved even on max throws.
Flaps??
She can be landed at silly slow speeds.
With light-weight packs, she can easily be flown indoors.
Such a sweet heart.
Enjoy!
rc
thankey Roj...welllll...I just want flap options as I plan to (eventually) be flying the wee Beastie out of (and into!) the very tight confines of my front yard cul-de-sac...nice to have them available if need be. Plus it's more switches to flip...that "busy cockpit" feel you know.

Bud, going to iron the bubbles out of his (wheel)panties Bud
Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:54 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
flew mine too much today at local field was charging Beast bats over and over again along with mini ultrastick bats......anyways when it got dark I loades all back up and went to start car and 'click click click click'.....dead batteries....

But sweet fun was had.....

Had to call wifey to bring my truck which had the jumper cables,,,,

gotta waste good rc $ on a Battery now
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:46 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Some flying recorded with my new GoPro 960. Nothing fancy here - I don't have much room in front of my house so I couldn't do much and a lot of the flying is too far away. I'll get to a better spot tomorrow and hopefully get some better footage.

UMX Beast (12 min 54 sec)