HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2011, 01:02 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggressorBLUE View Post
It sucks loosing a plane in a tree. Happened to my Beast last week.

This article makes me feel a little better, that it doesn't just happen to us 'little guys':

Quote:
August 11, 2011 12:39 EDT

The U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency says contact with its experimental hypersonic glider was lost after launch from Vandenberg Air Force Base on the central California coast.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...ersonic-glider
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2011, 01:02 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,848 Posts
theirs costs more though.
bsoder is offline Find More Posts by bsoder
Old Aug 11, 2011, 01:05 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,474 Posts
Quote:
The agency said the launch of the Minotaur 4 rocket was successful and separation was confirmed. It next reported that telemetry had been lost.

It was the second of two planned flights of a Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle-2. Contact was also lost during the first mission.
I can tell them where to look....

tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Aug 11, 2011, 01:12 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoder View Post
theirs costs more though.
They'd be smart just to wait for it to go on sale. Don't buy them at full price when they first come out.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Aug 11, 2011, 01:22 PM
Park Stormer
United States, NJ, Brooklawn
Joined Jul 2008
825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfitzsim View Post
Binary,
I flew last night for the first time with the y harness using 2 turnigy 160's. I had just bought 10 for my other planes as they are dirt cheap(not as good as the hyps but I bought 10 for 18 bucks versus about 85 for 10 hyps). It doesn't have the same output rate as the 2s batteries so you will notice it won't have the vertical it has with the stock battery. But it ran fine otherwise and the run time was good.

The batteries did get noticeably warm. A lot warmer then they have in my other planes.
I'd say your asking for trouble putting two of those in series. Poor QC on the turnigys means that it's possible for a given cell to have higher resistance, lower capacity, and/or a shorter lifespan than it's series mate. this means that you'll burn up both cells much quicker.

also, regarding LVC, I think it's more of an emergency reserve, ensuring that your aircraft has enough power to maintain the rx and power the servos, allowing you to safely guide the aircraft away from people/property.
AggressorBLUE is offline Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
Old Aug 11, 2011, 01:23 PM
Joined Feb 2011
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
This article makes me feel a little better, that it doesn't just happen to us 'little guys':

That thing is supposed to be able to fly to anywhere in the world within 1 hour.
dfitzsim is offline Find More Posts by dfitzsim
Old Aug 11, 2011, 01:30 PM
Park Stormer
United States, NJ, Brooklawn
Joined Jul 2008
825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post

lol, i try.

it sucks 10 times more than a crash though. I went to go hook up my hyperions to my (new) beast, and realized my harness was still in up in the tree
AggressorBLUE is offline Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
Old Aug 11, 2011, 01:47 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
lol, i try.

it sucks 10 times more than a crash though. I went to go hook up my hyperions to my (new) beast, and realized my harness was still in up in the tree
Thats why I pack an axe in my flight toolkit
Old Aug 11, 2011, 01:49 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,054 Posts
Quote:
lol, i try.

I just have to say... even though it's OT... this is funny: "DARPA said the vehicle has the capability of terminating a flight on its own".

So... is this just DARPA-speak for "it has the capability of crashing"?
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Aug 11, 2011, 02:02 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,688 Posts
Last night I read a report on that thing and they said the last test was aborted early when the machine detected a fault and went into failure protection mode which was programmed to fly into the middle of the nearest ocean. At least it is smart enough to preserve human life when possible, odd thing for a proposed bomber.

The "Tree Tamer 2000":
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_12415_12415
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Aug 11, 2011, 02:11 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
At least it is smart enough to preserve human life when possible, odd thing for a proposed bomber.
I think it was more worried about preserving technology secrets instead of human life

We all know governments don't give a rat's arse about human life which they have showed over the many hundreds of years.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 02:24 PM
ICU
Check out my Shapeways Shop
Dallas,Tx.
Joined Apr 2007
1,202 Posts
LOL, OMG.

DARPA is freakin' tweeting during the test! You've got to be kidding me.

Twitter is such a f*#&!*g disease! Everyone please abandon that crap!
ICU is offline Find More Posts by ICU
Old Aug 11, 2011, 02:37 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Darn you guyz talking about planes and trees....lol...jinxed me!

Got my battered ol' 4Site stuck in my front yard tree yest' eve, 'bout 40 ft. up.

50 feet of soft nylon rope, tied to the handiest thing on my bench- a new roll of packing tape...6 or 8 tosses, got it down to "curtain rod retrieval tool" level. (curtain rod, fully extended and duct taped). Handy items to keep around...

Bud, oops forgot the tagline bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Last edited by maukabud; Aug 11, 2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: tagline droppage
Old Aug 11, 2011, 03:07 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Bud you getting your beast bud? If you send me $150 I will overnight one to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post

Got my battered ol' 4Site stuck in my front yard tree yest' eve, 'bout 40 ft. up.

50 feet of soft nylon rope, tied to the handiest thing on my bench- a new roll of packing tape...6 or 8 tosses, got it down to "curtain rod retrieval tool" level. (curtain rod, fully extended and duct taped). Handy items to keep around...

IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Aug 11, 2011, 03:14 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post

Wait a minute... you're disappointing me. Where's your tag-line? Something like: "Bud, stuck in a tree Bud"... right?
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq