HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:58 AM
Joined Feb 2011
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
Anyone know how well the turnigy 160mah batteries work with the Y connector? I have about 10 of them coming in the next few days, already landed in my country with customs now.
Binary,
I flew last night for the first time with the y harness using 2 turnigy 160's. I had just bought 10 for my other planes as they are dirt cheap(not as good as the hyps but I bought 10 for 18 bucks versus about 85 for 10 hyps). It doesn't have the same output rate as the 2s batteries so you will notice it won't have the vertical it has with the stock battery. But it ran fine otherwise and the run time was good.

The batteries did get noticeably warm. A lot warmer then they have in my other planes.
dfitzsim is offline Find More Posts by dfitzsim
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:59 AM
Joined Feb 2011
66 Posts
What kind of run times are people getting with the stock 120? I've been ending up with about 3.5 volts after about a 5 1/2 minute run time.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:15 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Is that with mixed throttle setting or WOT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfitzsim View Post
What kind of run times are people getting with the stock 120? I've been ending up with about 3.5 volts after about a 5 1/2 minute run time.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:25 AM
Joined Feb 2011
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
Is that with mixed throttle setting or WOT?
Mostly mixed. Probably 1/3rd WOT the rest maybe 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:54 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,092 Posts
Quote:
I usually fly for at least 6-7 mins on the 120. Most of it under 1/2 throttle though.
bluemeane is offline Find More Posts by bluemeane
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:18 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Even 6-7 minutes is getting too long. The only time I have sunk this plane is when I ran out of juice in a turn lining up for a landing. It doesn't take much to stall when you start running low. I'd suggest setting your timer at 4 minutes then giving yourself a good 30 to 60 seconds to bring her in. Just buy a bunch of batteries and keep swapping them out. It's not worth it to try to squeeze 1 or 2 more minutes out of the battery when this plane falls like a rock without throttle.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Last edited by binaryclock; Aug 11, 2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:28 AM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
the instruction manual says the motor will "pulse" if you hit LVC - that sounds nasty to deal with! although i suppose it's better then the brushed planes that just turn off mid-air.

i haven't hit LVC yet, luckily.

i have my timer set on 5.5 minutes. i land before it ends with the 120s. when using a pair of Hyp 160s, i land after i hear the timer go off
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:32 AM
Joined Feb 2011
66 Posts
I had hit lvc once on the beast I was bringing it in for a landing(3rd attempt as I had overshot the landing area twice already) and I was about 5 feet off the ground when the power went out. Luckily I was still over grass it nose dived right into the ground. I tried pulling up but I didn't have enough time or speed to get out of it.

The battery cover came off and I popped the end of one set of carbon rods that connected to the bottom wing off. I just need to glue it back.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:34 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
I had hit lvc once on the beast I was bringing it in for a landing and I was about 5 feet off the ground when the power went out. Luckily I was still over grass it nose dived right into the ground.

The battery cover came off and I popped the end of one set of carbon rods that connected to the bottom wing off. I just need to glue it back.
The beast does NOT like unscheduled landings - it's really heavy in the air for an UM and since it doesn't coast well, you may as well be dropping it on its nose from eye height It's definitely much more fragile than the workhorse UM T-28 or Champ
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:53 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by telos81 View Post
the instruction manual says the motor will "pulse" if you hit LVC - that sounds nasty to deal with! although i suppose it's better then the brushed planes that just turn off mid-air.

i haven't hit LVC yet, luckily.

i have my timer set on 5.5 minutes. i land before it ends with the 120s. when using a pair of Hyp 160s, i land after i hear the timer go off
I think the consensus is LVC is a bit low for optimum battery health too.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:57 AM
Joined Feb 2011
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
The beast does NOT like unscheduled landings - it's really heavy in the air for an UM and since it doesn't coast well, you may as well be dropping it on its nose from eye height It's definitely much more fragile than the workhorse UM T-28 or Champ
Heck on my friends champ before he lost it we could cut the power and the thing would practically glide forever.

The t-28 I could keep the power low and just coast right in. It's taken a hell of a beating but keeps on flying. I'll see if I can take some pictures of it and post them up here. It's ready for a new fuse and a new horizontal stab.

The beast comes in more like a rocket.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:07 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
I think that I have a finer resolution on my throttle control that I could perfect my landings even more. Right now I feel as if I use up too much room for approach. I can get very nice landings given enough room but I feel like I could dramatically shorten my approach length if I had finer control resolution on the throttle. It just feels like I need a few more increments of speed control when settling in - especially with the Beast as it wants to stall a little easier.

With the Sbach I can largely control my speed through elevator control.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:14 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I think I remember reading in the Beast manual that when it hits LVC you need to bring the throttle all the way down before it will let you have some power again (might be wrong). Had to read the PDF version because mine didn't come with any info, same goes for the ar6400lbl receiver.

For smoother throttle remove the ratchet spring like on a heli transmitter.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:36 AM
Joined Feb 2011
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
I think I remember reading in the Beast manual that when it hits LVC you need to bring the throttle all the way down before it will let you have some power again (might be wrong). Had to read the PDF version because mine didn't come with any info, same goes for the ar6400lbl receiver.

For smoother throttle remove the ratchet spring like on a heli transmitter.
I read somewhere as well.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:54 AM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
yeah i have a smooth (heli) non-ratcheting throttle. i much prefer it over the ratchet
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81