Old Sep 06, 2010, 11:26 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral14 View Post
40 weeks!

I'm pushing 75 months on my T-28; no crashes! I would be devastated to lose that bird.

Tim
Somebody told me one day: "Fly them like you don't like them".... He was right... It does make things way more interesting!

Also I may fly a bit more than the usual RC pilots... What I fly in two months may be what the average RC pilot fly in 1 years!!!

Here's my log for the last 2 months only (and I don't always log all my flights!):

UM 4-Site: 20 flights
Older UM Mustang: 95 flights
Newer UM Mustang: 79 flights
UM Sukhoi: 7 flights
Blade mSr: 1 flight (that was a just a demo... Winter only )
Spitfire (UM, not parkzone): 7 flights
Stryker: 26 flights (those are all averaging 20 minutes in flight!)
F-35 EDF jet: 8 flights

Have to admit that I was on vacation in July, so many flights there... (but that doesn't include July 1st to July 6th, because I took only the last 60 days) I also fly in winter when most people don't...

My older UM Mustang as over 400 flights and I'm still flying original foam! My second UM Mustang as exactly 211 flights so far, also all original foam.

I don't expect to still be able to fly them in 40 years though!

Edit: Shoot, that's only 4 flights per days on average... Not that great I guess. Though, like most people I've been grounded by the wind many days (except for the Stryker which can take pretty much anything).
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Last edited by RealGambler; Sep 06, 2010 at 11:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2010, 11:31 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
I have an Ace Bingo that I've been flying for nearly 20 years without crashing. I taught myself how to do tailslides, torque-rolls and hover with that plane. The airframe has lasted through two overhauls of its Saito .91. I have no clue as to the flight-hours, as I flew it for a number of years on a FP-T7FG/K before upgrading to an 8UAF. Still a far cry from 40 years, though.

Back on-topic....

I'm thinking about laying down something in my backyard to use as a UM runway. With the UM Sukhoi/XP, flying sans gear is fine; however belly-landings just don't seem to be right with the Beast.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2010, 09:43 AM
Buffalos have wings
Vancouver Washington
Joined Nov 2007
2,045 Posts
Not with the way they have those micro servos mounted on the wings.
Tatonka is online now Find More Posts by Tatonka
Old Sep 07, 2010, 09:58 AM
Joined Sep 2009
98 Posts
I think you guys that are worried about the servos are nuts... There's no way they'd get damaged on a typical grass landing... Plane is too light, and the servos are low-profile. In my opinion, the K.I.S.S. method has been successfully implemented here and the servos & linkage will be much more reliable because of it.
turkeylord is offline Find More Posts by turkeylord
Old Sep 07, 2010, 11:55 AM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I have an Ace Bingo that I've been flying for nearly 20 years without crashing. I taught myself how to do tailslides, torque-rolls and hover with that plane. The airframe has lasted through two overhauls of its Saito .91. I have no clue as to the flight-hours, as I flew it for a number of years on a FP-T7FG/K before upgrading to an 8UAF. Still a far cry from 40 years, though.

Back on-topic....

I'm thinking about laying down something in my backyard to use as a UM runway. With the UM Sukhoi/XP, flying sans gear is fine; however belly-landings just don't seem to be right with the Beast.

Joel
Joel- Let us know what you come up with for a runway. I've been thinking about keeping something in the trunk for that purpose.
MR2
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Sep 07, 2010, 11:56 AM
Buffalos have wings
Vancouver Washington
Joined Nov 2007
2,045 Posts
Maybe they will and maybe they won't in a belly landing, but the gears are exposed so keeping dirt and crap out of them would be a challenge.......I, for one am going to keep the wheels on this one.
Tatonka is online now Find More Posts by Tatonka
Old Sep 07, 2010, 12:01 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,692 Posts
How about those roll up camping/sleeping mats?
Bowerz is online now Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Sep 07, 2010, 12:07 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,137 Posts
The video speaks well for the UMX's ability to touch down with little speed.. add wind and you could land backwards.. hardly a concern for those servos..
they are mounted for BALANCE to correct coupling.
I doubt I will ever have to land in grass, but if i did, it would plop at my feet like a cotton ball just like the other micros.
MikeRx is online now Find More Posts by MikeRx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Build Service
Old Sep 07, 2010, 01:37 PM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
How about those roll up camping/sleeping mats?
That might be okay for a slower UM with a headwind, but I'm thinking about something I could roll out to 20 feet (@6.5 meter). That way it would work for small parkfliers, also. As for the Beast, if it hovers well enough, you can always hand catch it!
MR2
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Sep 07, 2010, 01:58 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
The video speaks well for the UMX's ability to touch down with little speed.. add wind and you could land backwards.. hardly a concern for those servos..
they are mounted for BALANCE to correct coupling.
I doubt I will ever have to land in grass, but if i did, it would plop at my feet like a cotton ball just like the other micros.
I flew my Sukhoi in the local aftermath of the hurricane. I could hover flying into the wind, but at ground level there was almost no wind. Could not even come close to hovering in to a landing. The lower you get the less wind there seems to be. Ten feet up it's full blast, at ground level, at least over grass there seems to be very little wind.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Sep 07, 2010, 02:05 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Some kind of semi rigid plastic rolled up is what I was thinking, but haven't started looking for anything. The big question is how many feet does it really need. You could maybe find scraps of floor covering that would work but not sure how long you could get.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Sep 07, 2010, 02:47 PM
Joined Jun 2010
163 Posts
Go for true carrier landings and add a landing hook / line.
cloakscott is offline Find More Posts by cloakscott
Old Sep 07, 2010, 03:39 PM
We Do It With FRQZ
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2009
2,116 Posts
have you seen the battery cover they made for the um p-51 why not use a paper plate and make a cover for each servo simple fix....
dkintx is offline Find More Posts by dkintx
Old Sep 07, 2010, 03:41 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloakscott View Post
Go for true carrier landings and add a landing hook / line.
Hey, not such a bad idea! I have a short runway, so maybe I'll set-up something, even for my other micros! Though, there's nothing like a smooth landing...
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Sep 07, 2010, 04:07 PM
Joined Jul 2006
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
The big question is how many feet does it really need.
The wing load is approximate the same of the P51 and only little bit higher as the Sukhoi and should not need significant more as these planes.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli