HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:30 AM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
There's nothing quite like ending a flight with a nose-high, power-on approach....followed by a nice 'n greasy three-pointer.

With an airframe this draggy - the angle of approach better be steep if the power isn't on! Dead-sticking the Beast sorta reminds me of dead-sticking a Quicksilver MX ultralight. (The Beast isn't quite as bad, though.)

Joel
[OT] Haha I went up a few times in an MX...full scale...PIC never told me he was one of those nutball 'Nam Cobra drivers...man, what a ride...never knew an MX could sideslip down the grass runway, a foot off the deck, at full power! Luved it. Crazy guy flat spinned the thing from 5k AGL (with me "ghosting" on the controls)...didn't pull out till we were about 50 ft. above the desert...then right into a wild down-on-the-deck ride, twisting through the junipers at full power...very high "wow factor"...not to mention "tight sphincter factor".... [/OT]

Dang, FEDEX dragged down WTs' commendable speed on getting my wee Beastie out within an hour of ordering last Friday...it's still sitting in Syracuse as of TU 22:30 PST... ETA is Friday...they better get the lead out...

[Brando] ....the horror....the horror.... [/Brando]

Bud, rode-a-looping-roller-coaster-all-day-to-compensate Bud
('twas fun)
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:21 AM
Its not that windy...
United States, CA, PORTER RANCH
Joined May 2007
1,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
I'm a computer/electrical engineer so I have no problems with making my own packs as I have the experience and proper equipment. I'll check out All e RC, thanks!...

...Also, instead of making your own packs, why don't you just buy the already made 2s 180mah pack?...I figure there's a reason, something I'm missing here
I too asked this question and, other than the issue with the stock connector, part of it is balancing. The ones that come pre-built do not have a balance tap. Personally, I'd make 1s packs and then an adapter to use for the beast, this way, you can balance using your own charger per each cell or parallel charge. You also don't need to keep using the kind of lead that the beast uses. One adapter to make the batts into series, and you're pretty much set.

Plus, the 1s batts can come in handy in the future for other micros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by telos81 View Post
Yeah, that was the problem - I was on low rates ... I got it programed with a RTF TX though, so I've got it set now ...

Based on advice, I've set flaps to 35% down - and I know that they should only be used on the recommended 60% low rate setting to insure I never push an aileron servo past 100% travel.

I can't figure out how to setup a second, stronger flap setting though (while reducing aileron travel to keep them below 100%) - I found instructions for a DX6i, but I'm using a DX7. it seems like the programing might be different?
Here's what I do to make sure I can use the rest of my aileron travel.

_______FLAP______ELEV
Norm_DN 75%____0(for now, haven't set it up yet)

So let's say you have 75% for that.

Then go to a programming mix, any one really.

AILE->FLAP ON
RATE:+75%
_____-75%

SW: FLAP2
OFFSET: -2(this can change, play around with it)

(ignore the underscore, only used that to make it look correctly aligned)

If you find that you have to use UP instead of DN to get the flaps to work, then just flip the + and - for each one. You also might have to adjust the 75 to a higher or lower digit, but its the same for both if you alter it, so if it happens to be 76, change both to 76. I use the servo travel screen to adjust it. You'll notice that your roll rate will not be as affected anymore, since no matter the setting, you still get to use ALL of your servo travel

Hope this works for you like it works for me!!
aerosoardude is offline Find More Posts by aerosoardude
Last edited by aerosoardude; Aug 10, 2011 at 02:28 AM. Reason: To align the settings right
Old Aug 10, 2011, 05:47 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I called the store and they matched Horizon's $99 price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfitzsim View Post
Yeah I don't get it. That's on their website. Next time I go into their store I'm going to see if they sell it for the $99 price.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Aug 10, 2011, 06:39 AM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosoardude View Post
I too asked this question and, other than the issue with the stock connector, part of it is balancing. The ones that come pre-built do not have a balance tap. Personally, I'd make 1s packs and then an adapter to use for the beast, this way, you can balance using your own charger per each cell or parallel charge. You also don't need to keep using the kind of lead that the beast uses. One adapter to make the batts into series, and you're pretty much set.

Plus, the 1s batts can come in handy in the future for other micros.

Here's what I do to make sure I can use the rest of my aileron travel.

_______FLAP______ELEV
Norm_DN 75%____0(for now, haven't set it up yet)

So let's say you have 75% for that.

Then go to a programming mix, any one really.

AILE->FLAP ON
RATE:+75%
_____-75%

SW: FLAP2
OFFSET: -2(this can change, play around with it)

(ignore the underscore, only used that to make it look correctly aligned)

If you find that you have to use UP instead of DN to get the flaps to work, then just flip the + and - for each one. You also might have to adjust the 75 to a higher or lower digit, but its the same for both if you alter it, so if it happens to be 76, change both to 76. I use the servo travel screen to adjust it. You'll notice that your roll rate will not be as affected anymore, since no matter the setting, you still get to use ALL of your servo travel

Hope this works for you like it works for me!!
Thanks for the help!

I agree about the batteries too, I've been using a pair of 1-cell Hyperion 160s with the Y-adapter ... Best of both worlds
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Old Aug 10, 2011, 06:55 AM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Cool!!

I just did that and it works great! (I love the servo monitor screen don't even have to turn on the plane!)

Although, what is the offset? I'm not sure what that means?...
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Old Aug 10, 2011, 08:09 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Are these the cells you are using or recommend to make the pack?

http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-cx...ll-p-5106.html
They are the right ones.... And as other have said, it's nice to have a little stash all the time. They make nice 1S batteries as well. So I always have a few ahead, and I can decide what I want to make later on. You may also want to get some 240mah (Sbach Stryker but ok in the Beast as well). And maybe some 120mah. Dang that hobby is costly!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 10, 2011, 08:47 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
When you guys come up with a working flaps/elevator mix would you please find the mods and tips summary thread I started and add the info so that other new people can find it more easily than searching through 300+ pages of chatter. Discussions of the tips can take place here but it would be really nice to have a short summary of each setting/procedure/mix/etc. in a single thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1480171
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:08 AM
Joined Feb 2011
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
I called the store and they matched Horizon's $99 price.
Interesting I'll have to see what my local hobby town has to say.
dfitzsim is offline Find More Posts by dfitzsim
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:34 AM
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Feb 2011
202 Posts
Quote:
I tried the flaps today, but the elevator setting I put in was too much and pitched the nose down. I had 35% flaps and (down arrow) \/ 6 on my elevator. I think I'll try probably 2 or 3 on elevator next time.
My Beast needs 0 elevator compensation when dropping the flaps.
joshuajcrouch is offline Find More Posts by joshuajcrouch
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:41 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Interesting I'll have to see what my local hobby town has to say.
Picking mine up today.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:00 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,599 Posts
Quote:
Picking mine up today.
IM,

You are in for a treat.
Such a huge upgrade from 1S UMs!

Treat her well...

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:08 AM
Joined Feb 2011
66 Posts
Quote:
Picking mine up today.
Dude your going to find that it far exceeds your expectations.

Amazing plane. I got mine the end of last week. I'm loving it.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:17 AM
ICU
Check out my Shapeways Shop
Dallas,Tx.
Joined Apr 2007
1,202 Posts
As far as the flaps go.

When I set them up on my Sbach I put in 35% for the flaps and 16% UP elevator. And it would float in nicely, unless it was a little windy. When it was windy it would baloon up badly.

I haven't had a chance to try them out on the Beast yet but I would start somewhere around 8% on the elev and go from there.
ICU is offline Find More Posts by ICU
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:51 AM
Joined Feb 2011
66 Posts
What rate do you guys charge your 2s beast batteries at?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:00 AM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Quote:
What rate do you guys charge your 2s beast batteries at?
Depends on what brand. The eflight I just use their charger for it. But the hyperions I am charging at a little over 5c or at 1amp on the 180's. around 12 minute charge time and I am back in the air.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay