HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 09, 2011, 09:53 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
hehe Track that sounds exactly like my fathers maiden about a month ago.

I can't get enough of flying this plane. Just ordered me some more Hyperion 180s for this plane. Bought the 1s and using the adapter at the moment, but thats only so I can use them in my UM T-28 as well.

Got in 3 flights today and finally got my fingers to let me do long slow rolls and a few sloppy 4 point rolls. The 4 pointers need some work but hey I just got my fingers to not push it into the ground on the KE parts. LOL
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:00 PM
I hate winter!
binaryclock's Avatar
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Where are you guys getting your hyp 180s? Is there a good place in canada to get these for cheap?

In other news, just had my 3rd and 4th and 5th flights with the beast today. Man this plane is a lot to tame. I finally made an unscheduled landing on the 4th flight. I was looking for a place to land and took my eye off of it when it was about 5 feet off the ground and turning slowly. It was close to the time where the battery begins to die and the plane lost speed in the turn and when I looked back the wing was about 1 foot off the ground so I pulled up, it went about 1 foot up, then stalled back down. The battery tray opened and the only damage was cosmetic on the spinner and a tiny crease on the tip of the top wing end. I really should of brought it in sooner because I was using the Y harness for the first time with crappy 150mah 1s stock UM batteries that came with my UM T-28 - and those batteries don't seem to last as long as the stock 2s. Regardless, it was a small crash but lesson learned - don't take your eye off this rocket for a second - especially when it's getting close to bring her in and in a turn

Extremely fun plane overall. It gets my adrenaline going every second it's up there This plane has so much potential
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Last edited by binaryclock; Aug 09, 2011 at 10:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:15 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
Bud, the biggest thing with the beast if you are landing on a runway is to keep power to it. If you don't it will stall. A lot of the Um planes you can just cut throttle and drift right in but the beast does not like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Ya DD, sounds about right. Perfect actually...that's how I land all my powered planes, big and small.

Bud, not a noob Bud
There's nothing quite like ending a flight with a nose-high, power-on approach....followed by a nice 'n greasy three-pointer.

With an airframe this draggy - the angle of approach better be steep if the power isn't on! Dead-sticking the Beast sorta reminds me of dead-sticking a Quicksilver MX ultralight. (The Beast isn't quite as bad, though.)

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:25 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
Where are you guys getting your hyp 180s? Is there a good place in canada to get these for cheap?
If you're talking about ready to use packs, I can't help you as I make/solder my own. But if you're simply looking for cells to make your own packs, I can tell you that All e RC was great for me. Fast shipping and never had to pay custom fees so far.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:32 PM
I hate winter!
binaryclock's Avatar
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
If you're talking about ready to use packs, I can't help you as I make/solder my own. But if you're simply looking for cells to make your own packs, I can tell you that All e RC was great for me. Fast shipping and never had to pay custom fees so far.
I'm a computer/electrical engineer so I have no problems with making my own packs as I have the experience and proper equipment. I'll check out All e RC, thanks!

Are these the cells you are using or recommend to make the pack?

http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-cx...ll-p-5106.html

Also, instead of making your own packs, why don't you just buy the already made 2s 180mah pack? http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-cx...ly-p-5107.html I figure there's a reason, something I'm missing here

One more thing, where are you buying your connectors to make the plug for the pack?
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Last edited by binaryclock; Aug 09, 2011 at 10:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:40 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Endlesslag's Avatar
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
Also, instead of making your own packs, why don't you just buy the already made 2s 180mah pack? http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-cx...ly-p-5107.html I figure there's a reason, something I'm missing here
It has a jst connector, not the one the beast uses. That means you can't use it in the beast or charge it with the stock charger (because you can't balance it either) without rewiring it anyway.
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:42 PM
I hate winter!
binaryclock's Avatar
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
It has a jst connector, not the one the beast uses. That means you can't use it in the beast or charge it with the stock charger (because you can't balance it either) without rewiring it anyway.
That would make sense. Which connector does the beast use - the name. And where are people picking up these connectors on the cheap?
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:49 PM
ICU
Check out my Shapeways Shop
ICU's Avatar
Dallas,Tx.
Joined Apr 2007
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfitzsim View Post
Yeah I don't get it. That's on their website. Next time I go into their store I'm going to see if they sell it for the $99 price.
2 weeks ago I went into my local hobby town. They still had the Beast for $130. I asked if they would match HH. And he said sure as soon as he looked it up on their site.
ICU is offline Find More Posts by ICU
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:49 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Endlesslag's Avatar
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
That would make sense. Which connector does the beast use - the name. And where are people picking up these connectors on the cheap?
I'm not sure of the exact name, maybe someone else knows..but I get them from http://www.rc-connectors.com
They have most any small connector type you can think of, and will do custom wiring for you if for some reason you don't want to take it on yourself.

Here's what you want- http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...roducts_id=245
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2011, 11:44 PM
Registered User
telos81's Avatar
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Hmm my plane won't take the flaperon programing ... I'm using a DX7.


It's not blinking 3 times like the instructions say it should
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2011, 11:47 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Endlesslag's Avatar
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by telos81 View Post
Hmm my plane won't take the flaperon programing ... I'm using a DX7.


It's not blinking 3 times like the instructions say it should
make sure you're on high rates when doing it (100% travel). It might not think you're moving the sticks all the way.
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2011, 11:48 PM
Registered User
ecenshu's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Meadowbank
Joined Nov 2010
194 Posts
The beast battery connector is a JST-PH3
ecenshu is offline Find More Posts by ecenshu
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:04 AM
Registered User
telos81's Avatar
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
make sure you're on high rates when doing it (100% travel). It might not think you're moving the sticks all the way.
Yeah, that was the problem - I was on low rates ... I got it programed with a RTF TX though, so I've got it set now ...

Based on advice, I've set flaps to 35% down - and I know that they should only be used on the recommended 60% low rate setting to insure I never push an aileron servo past 100% travel.

I can't figure out how to setup a second, stronger flap setting though (while reducing aileron travel to keep them below 100%) - I found instructions for a DX6i, but I'm using a DX7. it seems like the programing might be different?
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:12 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Endlesslag's Avatar
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by telos81 View Post
Yeah, that was the problem - I was on low rates ... I got it programed with a RTF TX though, so I've got it set now ...

Based on advice, I've set flaps to 35% down - and I know that they should only be used on the recommended 60% low rate setting to insure I never push an aileron servo past 100% travel.

I can't figure out how to setup a second, stronger flap setting though (while reducing aileron travel to keep them below 100%) - I found instructions for a DX6i, but I'm using a DX7. it seems like the programing might be different?
I'm not real familiar with the DX7..but with my dx6i I can set up 50% flaperons on high rates, and the servo will just stop on its own when it hits the end, and keep working smoothly...I havent had one lock up yet.
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:28 AM
I hate winter!
binaryclock's Avatar
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
I tried the flaps today, but the elevator setting I put in was too much and pitched the nose down. I had 35% flaps and (down arrow) \/ 6 on my elevator. I think I'll try probably 2 or 3 on elevator next time.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion ParkZone Ultra Micro T-28!!! THE Owners Thread!!!! dkintx Micro Ready-to-Fly 10137 Yesterday 02:36 PM
Official Parkzone P-51 Owners Thread - Part 2 monitor Parkflyers 2602 Jun 15, 2014 05:51 PM
Discussion UM beast, Now your talking qman Micro Ready-to-Fly 102 Dec 22, 2010 11:39 AM
Discussion The first OFFICIAL Parkzone Sukhoi SU-26XP BNF by ParkZone Owners thread skyjet Micro Ready-to-Fly 2 Mar 19, 2010 04:00 PM
Official Parkzone P-51 Owners Thread monitor Parkflyers 913 Oct 04, 2005 10:02 PM