Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 04, 2010, 10:32 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,807 Posts
Quote:
30 years ago rc airplanes were very scace.
Wrong.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2010, 10:35 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,321 Posts
Really?
Ok that only really really wealth people had them.
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Sep 04, 2010, 10:43 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Do you mean some sort of Horizone Hobby store in UK?

My LHS still sell the original Sukhoi for $99 and never got the XP. (I don't think they will until they get rid of their old Sukhoi inventory, and somehow I don't think they will ever reduce their price to liquidate the old version). So let's put it this way... If HH has a sale for the 4-Site, those guys won't match it.

Sorry, never mind about the sukhoi xp on amazon.co.uk. I just searched and all there was on the site was a msr, mcxt, and a mcx2. The shipping prices doesn't seem that bad on amazon.com. The shipping rate adds $5 to the cost of the product. I usually buy from amazon.com. since for CA they have free shipping and no tax from the right shops.
Old Sep 04, 2010, 11:47 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
From the brick phone to the motorola razr! 30 years ago rc airplanes were very scace.
Actually when I was a kid in the 60's & early 70's my dad used to take me to flying fields to watch the R/C gassers fly. R/C planes were enormously popular even back then. Now if you're talking about electrics, then yes, they were very scarce. I started flying (electrics) just over 20 years ago and electrics were heavy, slow and had short run times. Things have changed drastically in electric flight in the last 20 years, really the most serious changes (brushless motors, li-po batt's and RTF's) were in the last 5-10 years.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Sep 05, 2010, 07:01 AM
Custom airplanes and boats
Zellwood, FL
Joined Aug 2010
237 Posts
Quote:
Really?
Cheese, I am FAR from wealthy. My family as well. I am 46 years old and still have my first RC model, a Live Wire Champ 3 channel glow that I built at the age of 10 or 36 years ago (my first RC build but after 15 or so control line airplanes). It is an old design originally for free flight, then offered rudder only, then 3 channel which is what I have (my son found a source for a repro kit of it and is building another one so he has one too).

Back then in 1974, I had a used Royal 6 channel kit radio in it that was 8 or 10 years old that my Dad bought second hand. Recently, a friend gave my son a bunch of old RC magazines. In one, we found an ad from 1967 for the Royal Radio I have. Get this, in 1967 that AM band radio KIT with 4 very slow servos was $279.99 and you still had to build it!!! Convert that to today $ and that radio cost 2 or 3 times what a 12X is today!

Dad, who is 70 now and has been Married to my mom for 50 years, flew RC Before and after they married. He tells stories of Reed days that are very funny. Hooking up the transmitter to the car battery for power, losing airplanes and watching them fly off into the sunset, punching a hole in the roof of the LHS owner's car with the model crashing into it, etc. As Dad says..."Ahh, the good old days....May they be gone forever!"

We are 3 generations of modelers here and are amazed at how things have changed. Having a few PZ and HZ airplanes now along with glow, gas and large gas models, we really look forward to the UMX Beast to see how much fun we will have with it.
kjkimball is offline Find More Posts by kjkimball
Old Sep 05, 2010, 09:12 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,017 Posts
Quote:
Really?
I don't recall being wealthy! In fact, about 45 years ago I remember buying stuff as soon as I got my paycheck and living on spaghetti and catsup until next payday.

Was worth it though.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Sep 05, 2010, 05:12 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post
Actually when I was a kid in the 60's & early 70's my dad used to take me to flying fields to watch the R/C gassers fly. R/C planes were enormously popular even back then. Now if you're talking about electrics, then yes, they were very scarce. I started flying (electrics) just over 20 years ago and electrics were heavy, slow and had short run times. Things have changed drastically in electric flight in the last 20 years, really the most serious changes (brushless motors, li-po batt's and RTF's) were in the last 5-10 years.

Yeah was talking about electrics!
Anymore info about the micro beast?
Old Sep 05, 2010, 05:27 PM
Buffalos have wings
Vancouver Washington
Joined Nov 2007
2,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post
It's all tecnnology downloaded from the crashed UFO in Roswell, Man....Don't you think the aliens liked to play too....
Tatonka is offline Find More Posts by Tatonka
Last edited by Tatonka; Sep 05, 2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 06:13 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,321 Posts
Wonder how many lipo batteries are needed to power that space craft?
Maybe the crash was because the aliens forgot to fully charge they hyperion lipos.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 07:11 PM
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Sep 2004
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
Wrong.
Gary
My dear young fellow fliers as i'm 90 years old now & still love the old timer airplanes. here is a picture of my 72 inch wing span CLIPPER airplane i built in 1963 as a gas model but now is a full house electric model. i fly this airplane every Mon, Wed & Friday.It's a very docile airplane & flies great in the strong winds Very easy to land. Never any surprises. I'm just like you & everybody else can't wait to get the Beast & wring it out. Yeah i have the Suhkio & P -51 which i fly both indoors & outdoors I call them my all weather fliers..I have been building model airplanes since i was nine years old so i have seen it all.Back in the old days before gas motors for our models we built compressed air motors that were simple to make & were equal in power to the early gas motors. They didn't make much noise but you spent a lot of time pumping up the compressed air tank. cheers Haldayne
haldayne is offline Find More Posts by haldayne
Old Sep 05, 2010, 07:24 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haldayne View Post
My dear young fellow fliers as i'm 90 years old now & still love the old timer airplanes. here is a picture of my 72 inch wing span CLIPPER airplane i built in 1963 as a gas model but now is a full house electric model. i fly this airplane every Mon, Wed & Friday.It's a very docile airplane & flies great in the strong winds Very easy to land. Never any surprises. I'm just like you & everybody else can't wait to get the Beast & wring it out. Yeah i have the Suhkio & P -51 which i fly both indoors & outdoors I call them my all weather fliers..I have been building model airplanes since i was nine years old so i have seen it all.Back in the old days before gas motors for our models we built compressed air motors that were simple to make & were equal in power to the early gas motors. They didn't make much noise but you spent a lot of time pumping up the compressed air tank. cheers Haldayne
so you enjoyed those movie links i put up then

i fly with an 80 yr old bloke and last week we lost our other flying buddy Joe who passed away aged 80 too, when i showed John those movies it bought a tear to his eye as he remembers those days well

yes the young whipper snipper's of today live in a world of "I want it now!" and "I could do it better than that!"

oh well some of us really appreciate the way R/C has headed and Appreciate "Every" improvement/innovation

nice looking plane you have there too, i bet it could tell some history

cheers chuck

PS $100 saved $99 to go and this Beast is "Pre- Ordered"
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Sep 05, 2010, 09:04 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,450 Posts
Yikes, you've flown an airplane over 40 years ago and still fly it today? I'm happy if I keep an airplane more than 40 weeks!

Kudos! (and yes, nice little plane too!)
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Sep 06, 2010, 12:59 AM
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Sep 2004
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realgambler View Post
yikes, you've flown an airplane over 40 years ago and still fly it today? I'm happy if i keep an airplane more than 40 weeks!

yes that little plane fits in my 1972 SUPER BEATLE VW real tight. Now to make room for the beast
haldayne is offline Find More Posts by haldayne
Old Sep 06, 2010, 09:03 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
The Beast should easily fit under the bonnet so not much of a problem, might fit under the rear seat too (in the smugglers compartment).
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Sep 06, 2010, 10:52 AM
Full throttle and supersonic!
USA, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2009
935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Yikes, you've flown an airplane over 40 years ago and still fly it today? I'm happy if I keep an airplane more than 40 weeks!

40 weeks!

I'm pushing 75 months on my T-28; no crashes! I would be devastated to lose that bird.

Tim
Admiral14 is offline Find More Posts by Admiral14