SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:06 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
I not only put in the factory recommended dual rate settings into my DX6i, but I also just programmed flaps into it for my Beast -- thanks, RCG!

I'm stoked!
I didn't read the entire old Modfly flap mod thread...are guys running a flaperon>elev mix? Gotta watch that pitch change if ya don't...and I imagine the Beasties' pitch change would be fairly severe when the boards are popped...

Bud, just sayin' Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:17 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
A little off topic but... Anyone here ever use a GoPro camera for recording video of your flying sessions? Seems like the headlamp mount would work very well. I'm considering buying one of these so just thought I'd ask...
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:26 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
I feel the only UM that is going to rival the beast is going to be the UMX Stryker. I saw the videos on that and it just looks so awesome as well.
I really like the Beast and have two of them bought new and one bought from a frustrated owner cheap. But the Sbach is better yet. I'm not initially interested in the Stryker, but that could change. I only occasionally fly my Beasts since the Sbach though. It is the sweetest flying um to date. I figure it is what caused the price lowering of the Beast. Not many were gonna pay the same for the Beast as Sbach.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:26 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfre View Post
WHACK! I hit a tree

Must've been an Ent. Trees don't move, so you would never hit one....right?

Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:28 PM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Must've been an Ent. Trees don't move, so you would never hit one....right?

Hahahaha
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:56 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,170 Posts
Quote:
I didn't read the entire old Modfly flap mod thread...are guys running a flaperon>elev mix? Gotta watch that pitch change if ya don't...and I imagine the Beasties' pitch change would be fairly severe when the boards are popped...

Bud, just sayin' Bud

Thanks for the question and the caution.

It was *not* covered in the instructional post I saw, but it was mentioned a few posts down from the flaps post, in the same thread, that when you throw flaps on the Beast, it will nose up, so some down elev mix is in order. As a noob, I did not want to over do it, and the poster mentioned using some independent mixing functions, but when I looked on the 'flaps' menu on my DX6i, right next to the flaps percentage and direction input, you also get a chance to input an elevator value. I can only assume this is to be switched with flaps, and sure enough, when I put in "6" (did not want to over do it!) the elevator does move a tiny bit now when I throw the flaps switch, as the ailerons now go to flap mode. It's a beautiful thing! So it is strictly speaking not a 'mix' perhaps, since it's right there as a primary set up on the flaps input menu, but it looks dead easy to both set up and to adjust, once I see whether it needs even more.

(Obviously, if any of you "old hands" have already done this and found just the right values, then sharing that info would be much appreciated!)
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:01 PM
The woods
Joined Feb 2011
104 Posts
Ok so I have another question regarding battery connections. I.ordered the 2 parallel charger cable from Rc-connectors to use with my own charger. I use a hyp charger and noticed the balance plug on the batt will not plug into any of my boards. Does anyone use a hyp charger and if so what board do I need?
scribble79 is offline Find More Posts by scribble79
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:11 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Thanks for the question and the caution.

It was *not* covered in the instructional post I saw, but it was mentioned a few posts down from the flaps post, in the same thread, that when you throw flaps on the Beast, it will nose up, so some down elev mix is in order.
(Obviously, if any of you "old hands" have already done this and found just the right values, then sharing that info would be much appreciated!)
Glad to help...even though I don't have my lil Beastie yet, I do know how flaps and spoilers behave and affect pitch attitude...sailplane experience you know... I think you're gonna like how they operate...I may dial in some myself, as I have a *seriously* steep approach, when flying out of my tight n tiny cul-de-sac.

Gonna be *very* interwesting...

Bud, checking the tracking # hourly Bud
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:20 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
I'm not sure if flaps are required on the beast. I only flew two flights, and both landings were pretty soft in grass. Would have been better landings if I have pavement at that park though.

The beast comes in quite slow if you land it in to the wind. I had it hovering a bit too just like I could with the T-28, albeit a bit quicker of a hover.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:23 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
^ that's good to hear...others say it slows nicely for landing too. Bonus.

Grrr...how could my lil Beastie be sitting in some dayum transit warehouse all day and night...on a MONDAY..! Grr. Slackers.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:26 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
^ that's good to hear...others say it slows nicely for landing too. Bonus.
The only problem I've had so far with landing is creasing the wheel foam things that attach to the side of the wheels. When landing in grass they can get caught. I wonder if there is a way to remove them? hrmm..
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:32 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
The only problem I've had so far with landing is creasing the wheel foam things that attach to the side of the wheels. When landing in grass they can get caught. I wonder if there is a way to remove them? hrmm..
Yeah, no matter what plane, they always take a beating...they're called (variously) "wheel pants", "wheel skirts", "wheel covers"....I like to call them "wheel panties"...coz they always come off, eventually. Heh.

On my ol' 4Site, I made a replacement set out of thin EPP. Then covered them w/ a shaped piece of Blenderm tape.

I'm sure 'twould be possible to create a pair for the Beastie...using ultra-thin Sharpies and a steady artists hand, for the cute claws.

If it's the same mounting setup as the 4S, they're just held into a little plastic rail by a dab of..something.

Bud, artiste Bud
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:41 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, no matter what plane, they always take a beating...they're called (variously) "wheel pants", "wheel skirts", "wheel covers"....I like to call them "wheel panties"...coz they always come off, eventually. Heh.
LOL.. "wheel panties." Thanks for the terminology

Yeah they sort of suck on grass. Makes me want to land it only on pavement now :/
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:49 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:

Yeah they sort of suck on grass. Makes me want to land it only on pavement now :/
Yup...you'll find that most experienced pilots will choose a slick scale pavement landing challenge over a silly grass toy-like (*plop*) disappointing grass plunker any day...it's the icing on the cake, being able and willing to set up that *perfect* approach, and squeak 'er in w/ just the right amount of power. Priceless!

I feel cheated if I don't ace every landing.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:51 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Yup...you'll find that most experienced pilots will choose a slick scale pavement landing challenge over a silly grass toy-like (*plop*) disappointing grass plunker any day...it's the icing on the cake, being able and willing to set up that *perfect* approach, and squeak 'er in w/ just the right amount of power. Priceless!

I feel cheated if I don't ace every landing.
Agreed. I love to find pavement for my T-28 and Champ... But with the beast I was just worried about getting it down with zero damage at the end of the maiden flights