Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 29, 2011, 05:46 AM
Joined Feb 2011
66 Posts
I'd be happy if that DC charger you could use d cell batteries like the celectra 4 port.

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't want a dc only option. ha ha
dfitzsim is offline Find More Posts by dfitzsim
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2011, 05:58 AM
Joined Feb 2011
66 Posts
I should probably stop complaining and just buy the ac adapter.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 06:23 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
As a matter of fact, you have to take the back plate off because the hub of the 5043 is thicker. I see no problem with this unless the hub helps keep dirt out. But without the hub, there's more airflow.
Which bring the question.... Why is that hub there in the first place? My theory is that it's there because you cannot bend the propeller back as far (it will touch the larger hub) so it may be there to save the prop adapter from breaking? So that's why I prefer to leave it there, and sand the hub of a 5043 until I get a perfect fit instead. Never broke a hub and got lot of prop strikes. The Sbach doesn't have this part, and there's lot of reports of broken adapter....

On the other side, I still prefer a 5030, which is a direct fit, with no mods. Pretty much the same as the original prop. But that's only me.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 29, 2011, 06:39 AM
Good Times!
Joined Feb 2011
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
On the other side, I still prefer a 5030, which is a direct fit, with no mods. Pretty much the same as the original prop. But that's only me.
were you using a 5030 in your beast hovering video?
Micro Budget is offline Find More Posts by Micro Budget
Old Jul 29, 2011, 07:33 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
I've got my 5043 prop on there and I didn't remove the hub at all. No problems. I've even got the spinner on. No problems either.

Why do you think you have to remove the hub?
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jul 29, 2011, 08:07 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfitzsim View Post
I'd be happy if that DC charger you could use d cell batteries like the celectra 4 port.

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't want a dc only option. ha ha
dfitzsim,

How about an AC/DC hobby grade charger for under 50 bucks?
http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

Fast charging at 5C charge rates is the bomb.

Glenn can also hook you up with charge cords.
http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...l0j18b2q6dh657

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2011, 08:13 AM
Joined Feb 2011
66 Posts
rcbabbel I definitely need to buy a quality charger. I'll have to look into that.

How do I go about getting your batteries? I hear they are the bomb.

Also I have a question. I thought I read somewhere that the beast comes with the y adapter needed to use 2 - 1S batteries. Is that true or do I need to buy it? I'm putting in my beast order today. WOOHOO
Old Jul 29, 2011, 08:14 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro Budget View Post
were you using a 5030 in your beast hovering video?
Yes. I tried the 5043 for a little while, but didn't like it myself (but I seem to be the only one!). I'm not a speed freak for my UMs (I have other large airplanes for my speed fix). I find the 5030 give me a smoother throttle curve than the 5043, so it may help a bit during hovering attempts (still don't call them hover myself! ) and also during slow flights, harriers and landings And other than my snaps (that's the only drawback, though, they still snap very hard thank you), I don't see the point of going any faster than a 5030 can give me anyway. And the faster you go for snaps, the harder it is on the airframe. I'm using a 5030 on my Sbach too, and this morning, one of my SFGs came loose during a snap. Landing with a SFGs at 45 degree is fun, trust me!

Now, all that being said, I'm buying the new ultra-micro Stryker (I have the big ones, C and Q), and for this ultra-micro, I will be going for high speed for sure. That's an airplane designed for speed!
Old Jul 29, 2011, 08:16 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Also I have a question. I thought I read somewhere that the beast comes with the y adapter needed to use 2 - 1S batteries. Is that true or do I need to buy it? I'm putting in my beast order today. WOOHOO
Unless things have changed, it didn't came with the adapter for two 1S batteries when I bought mine. It's a bit tricky to fit two 1S batteries in the Beast. You almost have to add a bit of velcro inside the plane or one battery can come loose easily.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 09:21 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I ordered the 1s adapter with mine, I'll wait and see exactly what connectors I need to charge it with my good charger and then go that route.

Th yoga mats are a good idea, I'm not so concerned about take off, but landing I have a feeling I'm going to want a good long runway. I checked out vinyl door covering material used in refrigeration rooms, way too much money. Going to look at rubber floor matting when I get a chance or maybe a rubber backed carpet used upside down to give the smoother rubber side. Would really short pile industrial carpet work? I should be able to get something trimmed off the edge of an install really cheap if this seems like a good idea. Not sure if I can get 30 or more feet, but I should be able to get 20 feet.

Also keep in mind when I talk about this stuff that this aircraft is way better than I am, so it will need a little extra until my skills really improve. For now all I want it to fly like is a AER plane, no aerobatics or anything. The choice was that is has a brushless and was the same or cheaper than the T-28, and I like biplanes. This goes back to wishing for a tamer plane like a decent Pitts.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Jul 29, 2011, 09:28 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
Quote:
rcbabbel I definitely need to buy a quality charger. I'll have to look into that.

How do I go about getting your batteries? I hear they are the bomb.

My 'batt page' here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=643

Shoot me a PM anytime:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/priva...=newpm&u=54990

Glenn's Y adapter is the way to go if using two 1S cells:
http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...l0j18b2q6dh657

Wonderful dead calm morning here.
Only one plane came along to the soccer field.

$171.98 for two new Beasts to my door.
Lil bro said he needed a back-up as well.

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2011, 11:12 AM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
i am sooooo tempted by the new price ... i posted in the "which plane" thread - 'cause the Pole Cat is cool too.

part of my issue the different batteries - those battery connectors may help solve my problem

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=936
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Old Jul 29, 2011, 11:15 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrex View Post
I use a yoga mat. The beast is off the mat @ less than half the length! I live @ 5800'
@ 20 to 30 feet long, sounds like he wants it big enough to land on too. Let me guess... you're good enough to land on the yoga mat, right?
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jul 29, 2011, 11:22 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Greeneville, TN USA
Joined Mar 2000
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by telos81 View Post
i am sooooo tempted by the new price ...
Tell me about it! My Beast flies just fine, but is a little wrinkled since its "tree" incident. But at $99, I'm thinking very hard of picking up another just to let it sit in the box while I finish ragging this one out.
bsumpter is offline Find More Posts by bsumpter
Old Jul 29, 2011, 11:27 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by telos81 View Post
i am sooooo tempted by the new price ... i posted in the "which plane" thread - 'cause the Pole Cat is cool too.
The Pole Cat is not BL, so that would make up MY mind. Get the Beast!
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq