HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:14 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
With the shipping/handling charge and state sales tax it was cheaper to order everything from Horizon, so I did. Went with 2 of the Eflite 180mah as spares, probably won't use them too long as I progress to a different brand.

Now a big favor for me and all the other new Beast owners... Would someone be kind enough to make a summary post of all the really needed mods? Especially things like places tape is needed to keep from breaking the fuse, suggested CG point (which is probably different from published), suggested rates or expo amounts, etc. With 437 pages there are too many posts to try and pull the nuggets out, but some of you experienced guys might be able to list them all in a single post in a few minutes. and it would be greatly appreciated by all of us new owners (even if mine won't ship until tomorrow).
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:35 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
With the shipping/handling charge and state sales tax it was cheaper to order everything from Horizon, so I did. Went with 2 of the Eflite 180mah as spares, probably won't use them too long as I progress to a different brand.

Now a big favor for me and all the other new Beast owners... Would someone be kind enough to make a summary post of all the really needed mods? Especially things like places tape is needed to keep from breaking the fuse, suggested CG point (which is probably different from published), suggested rates or expo amounts, etc. With 437 pages there are too many posts to try and pull the nuggets out, but some of you experienced guys might be able to list them all in a single post in a few minutes. and it would be greatly appreciated by all of us new owners (even if mine won't ship until tomorrow).
Too bad we can't have a shared post. Maybe the next contributor can cut and paste? Don't just quote... we don't want all this stuff in italics!

1. #1 bang-for-buck mod! 5043 prop WITH 180 (some even like the 120 for floating) batteries from rcbabbel.

2. Rates and expo per manual are perfect. Learn on low rates, have fun on high.

3. CG per manual is a very good start. When you get good enough, adjust so inverted needs very little (if any) down elevator to maintain straight and level.

4. I grew up learning on balsa planes and have a great aversion to crashing, so others should add any strengthening tips that might be needed.

This plane doesn't need much. That's one of the things that make it so great. It's very well sorted out of the box.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:42 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Wow, at $100 I just may buy another one. I've had a few hard crashes with mine, so the wings are dinged up and the battery tray is toast! I don't think the wings on mine were ever straight either, but it still seemed to fly great!
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:49 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Check the fuse parts, they should be discounted too and might be REALLY cheap to rebuild the complete fuse.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:12 PM
Joined May 2006
178 Posts
Love flying my beast, but having a hard time getting it down safely. Anyone got any tips for landing?
David McAfee is offline Find More Posts by David McAfee
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:12 PM
Park Stormer
United States, NJ, Brooklawn
Joined Jul 2008
823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Or... you could just fly it! It flies very well out of the box. Not much to know except a 5043 prop combined with rcbabbel's batteries really wake it up. That, and use the settings in the instruction manual for D/R and expo and start on low rates! Easy-peasy...

My plan was to run to the 1S Hyperion 240's in Series using said harness. Are they still in vogue with the UMX crowd? If not, what's the "OMG you need this!" battery setup dejour? Also, where does RCbabbel sell his batteries?

I'm guessing your referring to the GWS 5043? Do they fit on without adapters?

Speaking of props, any other spare parts I should go ahead and order when I buy my Beast?

I'm personally psyched for this plane! Soon as I sell my secondary charger, I'm turning around and getting one!
AggressorBLUE is offline Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:26 PM
"I'd rather be flying..."
United States, SC, Beaufort
Joined Mar 2004
259 Posts
Keep your speed up, fly it all the way to touch down, and don't cut the throttle (full off) unless carrying too much speed to get her on the ground (floating or ballooning). Too many folks pull all the power off and then have difficulty flying a smooth, controllable landing. Landings require PRACTICE and practice makes perfect. A little throttle, a little speed, is all she needs... LCS

------------------------
SF Design Solutions
"Taking the ultra micro to the dark side
www.sf-design-solutions.com
LtColSpit is offline Find More Posts by LtColSpit
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:54 PM
Joined Feb 2011
66 Posts
What I don't understand is why it they have to sell it with the crappy DC charger. I don't know about you guys but I don't carry around a freaking 12 volt battery to charge my planes. It's ridiculous. I noticed the part number for the ac adapter is different for the ac adapter for the 4 port celectra. At least if it were the same part that wouldn't be so bad for those people who happen to have one of those 4 port celectra chargers.

I guess I finally need to go out and buy a decent charger otherwise I'll have no way to charge my beast battery's.
dfitzsim is offline Find More Posts by dfitzsim
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:01 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggressorBLUE View Post
My plan was to run to the 1S Hyperion 240's in Series using said harness. Are they still in vogue with the UMX crowd? If not, what's the "OMG you need this!" battery setup dejour? Also, where does RCbabbel sell his batteries?
2 240's with the harness may be a little heavy, but the Beast should do fine with it. RCbabbel 's batts are here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=643
Most like the 180's but some like the 120's to make it a real close-in "floater".
Quote:
I'm guessing your referring to the GWS 5043? Do they fit on without adapters?
Yes, those are the ones. No adapter necessary. As a matter of fact, you have to take the back plate off because the hub of the 5043 is thicker. I see no problem with this unless the hub helps keep dirt out. But without the hub, there's more airflow.
Quote:
Speaking of props, any other spare parts I should go ahead and order when I buy my Beast?
Landing gear if you care about having wheel pants. If you don't care, just let them get beat up and rip 'em off when you get tired of looking at 'em. I haven't used any other parts. This is a very sweet flying airplane.

Be sure and balance your props. They come WAY out of balance.
Quote:
I'm personally psyched for this plane! Soon as I sell my secondary charger, I'm turning around and getting one!
It's a very fun plane. You won't be sorry.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:08 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Greeneville, TN USA
Joined Mar 2000
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfitzsim View Post
What I don't understand is why it they have to sell it with the crappy DC charger. I don't know about you guys but I don't carry around a freaking 12 volt battery to charge my planes. It's ridiculous. I noticed the part number for the ac adapter is different for the ac adapter for the 4 port celectra. At least if it were the same part that wouldn't be so bad for those people who happen to have one of those 4 port celectra chargers.
I don't know - I personally like that they included the DC charger. Many of us fly larger electrics, and we do carry a big honking 12v marine battery around with us! I don't think I would have liked having a wall wart with no battery option for those days I'm at the big flying field.

I don't like the cheap chargers overall, however. My first "mod" was getting a harness so I could charge my micro batteries with my iCharger. Nothing like having a decent charger to know how much you're putting in a battery, being able to charge to storage voltage, etc.
bsumpter is offline Find More Posts by bsumpter
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:09 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,034 Posts
Quote:

I guess I finally need to go out and buy a decent charger otherwise I'll have no way to charge my beast battery's.
I hear people crabbing about this a fair amount and I don't understand. I bought 2 and both came with a A/C adapters.

You'll want a better charger anyway when you upgrade to BabbelBatts. They charge at 5C. If you charge 2 in parallel at a time you can fly all day with no breaks!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:12 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsumpter View Post
My first "mod" was getting a harness so I could charge my micro batteries with my iCharger. Nothing like having a decent charger to know how much you're putting in a battery, being able to charge to storage voltage, etc.
Absolutely! A good charger is one of the best investments you can make in this hobby. Keep them batts happy and ready to go!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:21 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,014 Posts
Quote:

Its because the celectra 4 port is using a 6v adapter and the beasts is a 12v adapter.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:50 PM
will fly for food
United States, CA, Ben Lomond
Joined Mar 2011
1,094 Posts
Quote:

I'm using the ac adapter from my 120sr with the Beast charger, works perfect
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Jul 29, 2011, 05:35 AM
Denver
Joined Mar 2004
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
Anyone know where I can get a roll of heavy vinyl for a portable runway (over grass)? Thinking I need about 4 feet wide and somewhere in the 20 to 30 feet long. Would coated canvas work?
I use a yoga mat. The beast is off the mat @ less than half the length! I live @ 5800'
vrex is offline Find More Posts by vrex