HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2010, 01:05 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by interplanet View Post
just set a brake then, other micro hotliners just use regular e-props
Is there a brake? Don't forget this is a built in ESC and was not made for glider flying.

BTW. Most folding props won't fold all the way without a brake, so maybe I'm kidding myself.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2010, 01:07 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Is there a brake? Don't forget this is a built in ESC and was not made for glider flying.

BTW. Most folding props won't fold all the way without a brake, so maybe I'm kidding myself.

Pete
ah, now i see., there is the problem
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet
Old Aug 27, 2010, 01:09 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
graupner makes a cam folding prop to 4.7 x 2.4, I fly them on a couple of planes, just larger.
I think I have a couple of those also. Not kidding, but they look kind of big with that one inch or so spinner up front. I still have a mostly built mini hotliner I got from Hobby Lobby that is hidden around here someplace.

I think I could open a hobby shop and sell vintage kits. I could probably stay in business for a year or two before I'd have to look for new stock.

I'm probably exaggerating, but not by much. I've got so much old stuff around here that I can no longer keep track of where things are.

Pete
Old Aug 27, 2010, 01:12 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteschug View Post
i think i have a couple of those also. Not kidding, but they look kind of big with that one inch or so spinner up front. I still have a mostly built mini hotliner i got from hobby lobby that is hidden around here someplace.

I think i could open a hobby shop and sell vintage kits. I could probably stay in business for a year or two before i'd have to look for new stock.

I'm probably exaggerating, but not by much. I've got so much old stuff around here that i can no longer keep track of where things are.

Pete
an acro baby????
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet
Old Aug 27, 2010, 01:13 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
oops. made a mistake here I retract my statement.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Last edited by modfly; Aug 28, 2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 01:17 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
an acro baby????
Possibly. I'd have to find it to be sure. It was a very small hotliner from Hobby Lobby and I think the prop you mentioned is what it used. I've got the motor installed and a few other things done. I was about to mix up a batch of micro balloons and epoxy to mount the stab (back of fuse was round) and I put it away for some reason. Wings were covered with blue, transparent film and I think they might have had strip ailerons.

It's a long time ago and I'd have to rummage through a closet full of closely packed kits to dig it out.

Pete
Old Aug 27, 2010, 01:32 PM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkintx View Post
Ok kj

Keep in mind i wa very young and i dont remember that far back but heres what my dad has told me

His name is Tom Jones
Hr flew the gee bee
He flew pitt specials
And was THE first owner of the sukhoi26
He ran/played a big part in air show america
And died in his sukhoi

I found quite a bit of information about him yesterday dk when I was searching for a 'Knight' pilot who died in OK at an airshow. I kept running across news of Tom Jones thinking it might be him. Here's some of what I found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._and_incidents

September 9 - (Salgareda, Italy) - A Soviet Su-27 coded "14 Red" crashed during an aerobatic display, killing its test pilot Rimantas Stankevičius. [74]
July 1 - National Capital Air Show (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) - Harry E. Tope was killed when his P-51 Mustang crashed into a golf course.[75]
June 30 - Groton Air Show (Groton, Connecticut) - Russell Gage was killed while attempting to roll his aircraft on takeoff.[76]
June 18 - (Oklahoma City, USA) - A small aircraft piloted by aerobatic champion Tom Jones crashed while performing during the Oklahoma City air show "Airspace America." He was killed in the crash that was attributed to a low altitude stall.[77]

And this in a forum:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ad.main/42092/

"The airshow was largely the product of the efforts of Tom Jones. He had purchased his SU-26 directly from the Russians (Soviets?) and had cultivated a personal relationship with them. During the show a large variety of military and civil aircraft performed.

Sunday was marred by the death of Tom Jones in his SU-26. He had been entertaining the Russians at night with parties, running the airshow, and performing in it. The temperature was close to 100 F and following a torque roll his aircraft did a several turn spin with no recovery efforts noted. The NTSB concluded it was probably due to loss of consiousness. The Russians flew a tribute flight with the AN-225, Su-27s, and Su-26s that they had brought.

It was a sad end to what had become one of the nations great airshows. It continued for a few years but has never matched the shows of the late 80's and 1990. I can remember seeing an SR-71, U-2, F-117, VC-10, Bob Hoover, Sean Tucker, Leo Loudenslager, BD-10, Boeing Skyfox and many other great performers and unique aircraft at those shows."

-SLCPilot

Sorry all for being so OT but it is interesting.
major.monogram is offline Find More Posts by major.monogram
Old Aug 27, 2010, 01:35 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post

On top of that, your calculation are bad... Two batteries in series give you twice the voltage but same current. Two batteries in parallel give you twice the current but same voltage. So you cannot say X2 for series double the current.
Gives you the same "C" rating.
Last edited by modfly; Aug 27, 2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 01:38 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
On top of that, your calculation are bad... Two batteries in series give you twice the voltage but same current. Two batteries in parallel give you twice the current but same voltage. So you cannot say X2 for series double the current.
Doubles the "C" rating
Last edited by modfly; Aug 27, 2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 02:04 PM
Custom airplanes and boats
Zellwood, FL
Joined Aug 2010
269 Posts
Ahh. Tom Jones. Not in a Gee Bee. His loss is tragic indeed. But, being a Gee Bee lover as I am, so many deaths get attributed to the Granville airplanes as part of the killer reputation of the airplanes than actually happened. I always look at stories of "my dad flew a GB or my uncle did or I know a man who died in one, etc. with a grain of salt. There weren't enough Gee Bee airplanes for all the people who were said to have flown them. Tom may have flown a Gee Bee. Maybe the Turner Z or one of the non racing Gee Bee sport aircraft replicas built during his time.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled UMX Beast programming.......
kjkimball is offline Find More Posts by kjkimball
Old Aug 27, 2010, 04:48 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkimball View Post
Ahh. Tom Jones. Not in a Gee Bee. His loss is tragic indeed. But, being a Gee Bee lover as I am, so many deaths get attributed to the Granville airplanes as part of the killer reputation of the airplanes than actually happened. I always look at stories of "my dad flew a GB or my uncle did or I know a man who died in one, etc. with a grain of salt. There weren't enough Gee Bee airplanes for all the people who were said to have flown them. Tom may have flown a Gee Bee. Maybe the Turner Z or one of the non racing Gee Bee sport aircraft replicas built during his time.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled UMX Beast programming.......
]

Ya, Tom Jones I do remember from my reading.

Random question, do you still have the drawings for the GBZ? If I every won the lottery and could foot the bill, would you be able to build another?

I'm kind of curious as if you do still have the drawings, they are probably some of the most accurate. I've got several sets of plans and 3 views for the GBZ, along with an Adrian Page GBZ kit in the closet, but there are small discrepancies in all of them and I'm not sure what the true 'scale' outline of one should be.

I'd love to one day build one in a large scale, I know the Hostetler's have a larger set of plans, but I've not contacted them about purchasing them and I'm not sure on their accuracy to the original either.

Edit:

Mind if I ask who/why the GBZ you build was commissioned? Is it the one at FoF in Florida if I remember correctly, just curious if it was for the museum or a collector who then put it in the museum.
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
Old Aug 27, 2010, 05:18 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
error.
Last edited by modfly; Aug 28, 2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 05:23 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
removed
Last edited by modfly; Aug 28, 2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 06:20 PM
Custom airplanes and boats
Zellwood, FL
Joined Aug 2010
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneasle View Post
]

Ya, Tom Jones I do remember from my reading.

Random question, do you still have the drawings for the GBZ? If I every won the lottery and could foot the bill, would you be able to build another?

I'm kind of curious as if you do still have the drawings, they are probably some of the most accurate. I've got several sets of plans and 3 views for the GBZ, along with an Adrian Page GBZ kit in the closet, but there are small discrepancies in all of them and I'm not sure what the true 'scale' outline of one should be.

I'd love to one day build one in a large scale, I know the Hostetler's have a larger set of plans, but I've not contacted them about purchasing them and I'm not sure on their accuracy to the original either.

Edit:

Mind if I ask who/why the GBZ you build was commissioned? Is it the one at FoF in Florida if I remember correctly, just curious if it was for the museum or a collector who then put it in the museum.
Sneasle,

I created all the data we used to build our Gee Bee Z. This was a project that a good friend of mine, Jeff Eicher, and I decided we wanted to do together. No customer for it. We did it spare time evenings and weekends and it took almost 4 years. Time wise, 1500 hrs in front of my computer creating the data from the limited info we had at the time, and doing the stress analysis on the structure. Construction time was 4500 man hours. So, in all 6000 hrs to build it as you see it at FofF. Once we were done with it, we didn't know what to do with it as Jeff and I didn't want to fly it ourselves. So, we placed it on loan to FofF for a while and then Kermit bought it so it would stay there.

I do have all the data and it is my personal property. I can build another if I want to. I have been asked many times if I will sell a copy of the data and I say yes....for a price of $50k. That may sound like a bunch but if you divide it by 1500 hrs, it comes to about 25% of a typical engineering rate charged for this type of design work. To build a Z today in our shop, it would cost about $550k using this data.

Funny memory about this project was when I told Curtis Pitts we were going to build one. He response was something to the effect of, "...why would you want to do that? Somebody already did it in 1931..." He was always looking forward and I can see his point. But, it was a great project.

We used several model drawing sets as reference. Each had flaws but mostly good data. I collected data of all types, drawings, photos, engineering papers, articles, and even drawings of some of the other airplanes designed by the Granvilles to learn how to replicate this one. The best overall set of model plans I found were Vern Clements in Caldwell, ID. He may be gone now.
kjkimball is offline Find More Posts by kjkimball
Old Aug 27, 2010, 07:11 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly View Post
Ok, Let me see if I can explain this again. If you are drawing 2 amps from a 2 cell pack, each cell is supplying 1 amp.
Hmmm, Darksiede was talking about two cells in series... I think you're suddenly talking about 2 cells in parallel?....

2 amps coming out of a 8.4volt (2 cell pack) = 16.8Watts of power delivered.

1 amps coming out of a 4.2Volt cell = 4.2Watts
1 amps coming out of the second 4.2Volt cell = 4.2Watts

If each cells supply only 1amp in a serie pack, you would have only 2 X 4.2Watts of power delivered. (8.4Watts).

So simple confusion between parallel and serie maybe?

Also, a few posts before, I was replying to Darksiede comments were he used the term current all the time. Twice, you said I should have used C.... I simply used the same terms he used just to avoid confusion.
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler