HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:44 PM
Lewisville, TX
Joined Sep 2010
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
EDIT: Where's the "delete" key when you need it?? I'm kinda' slow sometimes.

I have not figured out what the prop adapter RCBABBEL set me along with the 5043 is for. I haven't used it. I just unscrew the old prop, take off the back-plate to accommodate the 5043's additional thickness, press it on and screw it down.

So I do not balance with the prop adapter nor do I balance the prop on the plane.
RCBABBEL told me that the 5043 didn't require an adapter so I just shaved off some of the spinner foam to get the spinner to fit snug.

Also, in case any of you guys are wondering, RCBABBEL's batteries are badass. They are perfect for someone like me who's too scared to solder lipo cells together, but wants that extra Hyperion power. And he puts the Beast plug on there so they can be balance charged (unlike the factory Hyperions). He also had my order ready to ship the same day. A+ seller.
sickwitit is offline Find More Posts by sickwitit
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2011, 04:02 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickwitit View Post
also, in case any of you guys are wondering, rcbabbel's batteries are badass. They are perfect for someone like me who's too scared to solder lipo cells together, but wants that extra hyperion power. And he puts the beast plug on there so they can be balance charged (unlike the factory hyperions). He also had my order ready to ship the same day. A+ seller.
++++100!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jun 14, 2011, 07:48 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,418 Posts
Regarding the 5043 prop & Beast - no adapter is required. However, the 1.5mm to 4mm adapter is required for the brushed UM planes.

Regarding balancing the GWS props - yes, they are considerably out of balance. I just use a bit of Scotch tape on the back of the light blade. I first spin it up in my hand to get an idea of the balance, then add a small piece of tape near the tip of one blade, and then spool it up in my hand again. The tape either helps or makes things worse. If the vibration increases, I move the tape to the other blade. I then 'sneak up' on the balance by adding tape incrementally until it spools-up smoothly. I make sure that I do not overlap the pieces of tape.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:09 PM
Joined Jun 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Regarding the 5043 prop & Beast - no adapter is required. However, the 1.5mm to 4mm adapter is required for the brushed UM planes.

Regarding balancing the GWS props - yes, they are considerably out of balance. I just use a bit of Scotch tape on the back of the light blade. I first spin it up in my hand to get an idea of the balance, then add a small piece of tape near the tip of one blade, and then spool it up in my hand again. The tape either helps or makes things worse. If the vibration increases, I move the tape to the other blade. I then 'sneak up' on the balance by adding tape incrementally until it spools-up smoothly. I make sure that I do not overlap the pieces of tape.

Joel
TY very much. I never would have guessed the GWS props would be that out of balance. I thought I was threading them on the micros wrong and had a bad prop or breast hub.
pkquat is offline Find More Posts by pkquat
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:46 PM
United States, MI, Bloomingdale
Joined Mar 2010
143 Posts
I was thinking about maybe getting the UM Beast for my 3rd/4th plane. But I was wondering if it can belly land on grass or not? I dont have any paved areas around to fly from.

So far I have a HZ brushless super cub, PZ t28 and am in the process of building a rc powers extra 300, and am looking at maybe getting this for flying in my hay field right outside my house thats to small to fly my t28 in.
r/c basher is offline Find More Posts by r/c basher
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:57 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,988 Posts
Here is a pic of the home brew adapter I made for dual 1S lipos in series...Works GREAT!!!...I'm going to try some Hyperion 2S 240 mAh batts w/a 5043 prop on my Beast...Seems like the way to go...

When I first got my Beast I tried some Gens Ace 25C 450mAh 2S batts just for grins and giggles...Flew well but I didn't tach it...The 450mAh batts are advertised as being 38g and can be charged @ 5S...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:57 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,148 Posts
The GWS's 5043 are really bad balance wise. All 3 of mine were horrible. Get a prop balancer like the Top Flite one for smaller props and the Dubro one for bigger props. I have both and really like the Top Flite one better and it's less than $20. Here is a video John did and this is how I balance all my props now. I used to add tape and glue. Now I just sand a little here and there and it works great

http://www.amazon.com/Top-Flite-Powe.../dp/B0015H1FAG

HorizonHobby.com How To - Prop Balancing (13 min 41 sec)
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:02 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,988 Posts
Here are a couple of pics of how my camera is mounted on The Beast...A little Velcro on the bottom and the camera stays put...

I need to remove the outer case of the camera to make it about 50% lighter but I don't know who sells that very light transparent shrink wrap that you see on just about all of the micro R/C electronics...Anyone able to point me in the right direction???

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:11 PM
Team Hillbilly
Baltimore, Md
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
I like to use clear spray paint to balance mine. Just a tiny shot on the end. I let most of the burst of spray miss the prop so it only adds a little weight at a time. Let it dry and recheck. Seems to work well for me. I use ca on my bigger props that need weight added to the hubs if they are out.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:15 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
I like to use clear spray paint to balance mine. Just a tiny shot on the end. I let most of the burst of spray miss the prop so it only adds a little weight at a time. Let it dry and recheck. Seems to work well for me. I use ca on my bigger props that need weight added to the hubs if they are out.
I have to cut (and then shape) so much material off the GWS props I'm not sure paint would do enough. It's an interesting fix, though.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:04 AM
Team Hillbilly
Baltimore, Md
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Really?? Mine are off but not by too much. Do you check the hubs as well? I don't see them being off like they are on my 12" to 13" props but you may have a bad batch. If the hub is way off it might hinder you checking the blades for balance. Some of the bigger props need quite a bit of ca to get the hubs right.

Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:22 AM
Joined Dec 2010
6,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
Really?? Mine are off but not by too much. Do you check the hubs as well? I don't see them being off like they are on my 12" to 13" props but you may have a bad batch. If the hub is way off it might hinder you checking the blades for balance. Some of the bigger props need quite a bit of ca to get the hubs right.
I've never balanced the hub. Do you stand the prop vertically and see which way it falls? I'd think it's be pretty difficult to measure accurately and make a fairly minimal difference in vibration on these little props.

In any case, when I put these props in the balancer for the first time the heavy blade falls hard enough to make a pretty good "thunk" on the table-top. There's no doubt. If you run it in the plane w/o balancing the vibration is pretty huge. With balancing it's smooooth... This had been one prop I got from RCBABBEL another I got from my LHS and a few more I measured but didn't balance yet that I got directly from GWS.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:30 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
587 Posts
tominator06,

looked at the HH How-to-video several times. I am unclear as to how to determine the hub is out of balance as opposed to the blades. how do you separate the two?
allelectrik is online now Find More Posts by allelectrik
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:41 AM
Joined Dec 2010
6,861 Posts
I flew a few more times today with RCBABBEL's 180 packs. I find myself throttling back on ballistic climbs because I'm afraid it'll get away! My girlfriend watched. She was just going to watch a few go-arounds but ended up watching all three packs. She said, "that's not an airplane, that's a damned rocket!" She was really fascinated. (Her Dad flew Skyraiders for the Navy in WWII)
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:43 AM
Team Hillbilly
Baltimore, Md
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Put it vertical on the balancer to check the hub. The guy in this video sands to get his blades balanced but he shows how to balance the hub the way I mentioned. I cannot find the link to the video I watched which showed the clear paint method but this one shows the hub balancing method I described. He adds velcro th the prop cause its way out but I just add more ca. If I can find the video I originally watched I will post it later.

prop balancing video tutorial (5 min 5 sec)