SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 27, 2010, 08:17 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by interplanet View Post
I am surprised that no one is bringing up what they plan to do with the guts after they crash, wonder if it would fit into a sukhoi
I am not planning to wait until I crash.

I am going to buy an RX and motor.

These UM's tend to last a long time if you're a half way decent flyer so I have to plan around not crashing.

Personally I'd like to make a micro hotliner, but there's not much in the way of really small folding props to work with. Whatever I make, I am not planning to try to make a real scale job. HH does it better than me in these small sizes.

Meanwhile, the same thinking that you see above has gotten me a couple of Vapor rx's and a couple of AR 6400's all of which will find a use eventually. Slowly the clutter on my workbench vanishes to be replaced by fresh clutter and new planes emerge. Working on a very small scale glider now that may carry video if I can find one of my old Durobatics rotary servos for pan and if it works with this gear. Linear servos (I have about four) can be a pain when you want to pan a camera. I've had a very tiny video cam for two or three years and still haven't flown it, though I did test the camera.

I've got lots of interesting junk around here if I can only find it all at the same time and get it safely tucked into an airframe.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:09 AM
We Do It With FRQZ
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2009
2,152 Posts
Ok kj

Keep in mind i wa very young and i dont remember that far back but heres what my dad has told me

His name is Tom Jones
Hr flew the gee bee
He flew pitt specials
And was THE first owner of the sukhoi26
He ran/played a big part in air show america
And died in his sukhoi
dkintx is offline Find More Posts by dkintx
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:11 AM
We Do It With FRQZ
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2009
2,152 Posts
As im typing this there is a christian eagle doin aerobatics above my house lol
dkintx is offline Find More Posts by dkintx
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:13 AM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post

Personally I'd like to make a micro hotliner, but there's not much in the way of really small folding props to work with.
Pete
you figure a 2m uses a 14" prop, so a 15 incher would use about a 4" or smaller, they make them

http://www.airmidimicros.com/KPProps.htm
interplanet is online now Find More Posts by interplanet
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:15 AM
Joined Jun 2010
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Oweee...big word that sums a lot up... but says nothing. Accordingly I'll also add nothing: ad hominem is an adjective!

Gene K
Haha, I think it would have been funnier if you had said, "you're an idiot! ad hominem is an adjective!"
cloakscott is offline Find More Posts by cloakscott
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:51 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
These UM's tend to last a long time if you're a half way decent flyer so I have to plan around not crashing.
So true!!! I'm worrying a bit about the Beast because it will be the fastest HH UMX straight out of the box, but as usual, when flying over grass, you don't want to wait for them if you need the electronic for something else... I had that in mind when I bought my 4-Site, and the thing is still flying today!

Quote:
Working on a very small scale glider now that may carry video if I can find one of my old Durobatics rotary servos for pan and if it works with this gear.
I think you can take pretty much any non-linear servos and make them pan 360 degree. (Just in case you cannot find the Durobatics). May spin around very fast though. I guess the Durobatic is slow?

I personally simply stick a keychain cam on my poor Parzone Vapor (no panning, but now that you gave me the idea, maybe next time!)...

Parkzone Vapor 4 with onboard camera (3 min 20 sec)
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:58 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkintx View Post
Ok kj

Keep in mind i wa very young and i dont remember that far back but heres what my dad has told me

His name is Tom Jones
Hr flew the gee bee
He flew pitt specials
And was THE first owner of the sukhoi26
He ran/played a big part in air show america
And died in his sukhoi
I saw Tom Jones fly one of the Coors Light Silver Bullet BD-5Js at an airshow in Prescott Arizona when I was in college (1987-1991). It wasn't too long after that he was killed in the Sukhoi, which had a unique scheme of black with either orange starbursts outlined in yellow or yellow starbursts outlined in orange (can't remember which). I do have a photo pack of the airplane somewhere, just not sure where it is at the moment.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:24 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
i dont think you could run 2s current through a micro jst style plug... plus they always broke i noticed after about 30 charges!
Yes you can. JST connector is good for at least 8 amps. I have used them up to 10 amps. I don't know what your doing to break them. I have some that have 250 charges with no problems. Some JST's are better than others. The Gold plated ones from E-Flite are the best.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Last edited by modfly; Aug 27, 2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:31 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
where is modfly at he was all over the biplane idean and was one of the first to sucessfully make a brushless micro???? granted its not a WWll bipe....
Yes I was one of the first to mod a BL Sukhoi using a BL motor and Gearbox and no one liked it because of the GB. Too noisy they say and too complicated but if your going to do a powerful setup, that is what is required if using 1 cell. 2s make things much easier when they are in series so the C rating can be lower. Looks like a Super 1 cell plane is a pipe dream at this point so that is why HH went with a 2s for the Beast.
Last edited by modfly; Mar 15, 2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:47 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by humveeflyer View Post
I know that this is going to get torn apart, but I guess that I don't see what the problem is with charging a battery with just two wires. I have a couple of older chargers that only charge with two wires and I have never had a problem with two or three cell batteries.
I balance charge my lipos every time. If you run a lipo pack too long, one of the cells could be lower than the rest causing a imbalance. At large current draw the problem is more pronounced.

The connector on the Beast lipo is a output\balance combo connector. Yes it comes with a balance charger.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:47 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by interplanet View Post
you figure a 2m uses a 14" prop, so a 15 incher would use about a 4" or smaller, they make them

http://www.airmidimicros.com/KPProps.htm
I have a few including at least one that I reamed and filed so that it takes very little airflow to fold it. The problem is I don't think they will take brushless rpm's. The blades only hook on. I narrowed the hooks just a bit and enlarged the inside of the hook with a round needle file until things were free, but I think they even mentioned an rpm limit back then. I got mine with the KP00 motors I bought in the days of the Lil Skeeter, of which I built a couple and flew the wings off them more than once.

Thanks, but I don't think it will do the job.

Pete
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:52 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
Some of the older small TP batteries didn't use balance taps either. Some say there isn't a need to balance the smaller packs. I think it's better to be safe then sorry....all I need is one to burst next to my mountain of other packs and burn the house down.
I would not buy a lipo pack without a balance tap. These packs are for people with short attention spans
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:56 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,730 Posts
Quote:
I have a few including at least one that I reamed and filed so that it takes very little airflow to fold it. The problem is I don't think they will take brushless rpm's. The blades only hook on. I narrowed the hooks just a bit and enlarged the inside of the hook with a round needle file until things were free, but I think they even mentioned an rpm limit back then. I got mine with the KP00 motors I bought in the days of the Lil Skeeter, of which I built a couple and flew the wings off them more than once.

Thanks, but I don't think it will do the job.

Pete
just set a brake then, other micro hotliners just use regular e-props
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:58 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
[snip]
I think you can take pretty much any non-linear servos and make them pan 360 degree. (Just in case you cannot find the Durobatics). May spin around very fast though. I guess the Durobatic is slow?
[snip]
The servo I'm talking about is a bit less than half the size of one of the AR 2000 servos! It was based on a really small motor (3 or 4 mm) with a built in planetary gear box and some sort of capacitance feedback for position. Very light, very fast, moderately expensive and I think was pretty standard in operation. Would probably work with the DSM2 rx's, though it might need the pin-outs changed.

Durobatics or Dynamics Unlimited and they may have also used another name all interchangeable and all in the same ads. The vanished one night, with the web site still up but nobody home. Relatives of the late Bob Hurd, creator of Durobatics foam. (Hmm... I think it's really Dynamics Unlimited and Durobatics was Bob Hurd's own product name.)

Pete
Old Aug 27, 2010, 01:01 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,730 Posts
graupner makes a cam folding prop to 4.7 x 2.4, I fly them on a couple of planes, just larger.